PDA

View Full Version : Middle Fork of the American?

Jay
04-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Anybody fish the stretch between the confluence and Oxbow?

Went down to Ruck a Chucky today and had my azz handed to me. Not a look, rise, or even fish looking stick. Did find a pair of expensive shades though :D

I know they are there, but I am inept when it comes to bigger water like that and the Yuba. My only real successes coming in small pocketed water and stillwater.

Anyway, it is a 10 minute drive for me, so I would sure like to learn it.

Derek Hendrickson
04-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Jay,

With these cold temps. things can be slow on the Middle Fork this time of year. I would try getting down deep with an indicator using a San Juan worm in the deeper holes. I floated from Rucky Chucky to Mamoth Bar on Saturday. We had a BWO hatch for about 30 minutes and managed to fool a few fish up top but that is not he norm this time of year. The other fish came on San Juans and small Golden Stones in the deeper holes. Once the temps come up you want to have a sinking line while fishing the Middle Fork. Try stripping streamers and swinging large nymph patterns tight along the banks (especially banks with overhanging structure). The Middle Fork is a lot like the Truckee, you have to pay your dues, but the rewards are worth it.

Good luck,

Derek

Jay
04-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Thank you Derrick!

I will admit to it being just a short scouting run that was during the middle of the day. But I walked about a mile of it and only really intently fished a few areas.

I am certainly not adept at ID'ing my bugs, but there was definitely a sizable hatch of some brand of mayfly. Looked to be about a size 12-14 light color. Definitely in good enough numbers that I was expecting to see a rise here or there. Not a thing in the three or so hours I was down there.

With the crystal clear water, bugs on top, and no fish seen, it was hard to maintain confidence. Even the nightcrawler chuckers (yes i called caltip) hadnt managed a single fish.

Are there any really hairy rapids/boulder fields between ruck a chuck and the confluence? I dont have a driftboat or a raft, but I do haveframed, and non framed pontoons. If there are, how easily can I portage around them?

Anyway, I truly appreciate the insight. As a seldom employed carpenter, these days, cheap trips close to home are becoming the rule unfortunately.

Derek Hendrickson
04-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Jay,
If you have moderate experience on the oars you will be fine. The flows fluctuate throuhgout the day though. Check it out at dreamflows http://www.dreamflows.com/graphs/day.070.php. It's regulated for the rafters for the rest of the summer. You want to keep that in mind. The morning starts out around 800cfs and is cranked up to approx. 1300cfs by around 12:00. There are a few spots that are class 2 or class 3 depending on the flows. There is room to get out and scout or portage most spots. It's definety not as a hair as the 17 miles below Oxbow. I would take out at Mamoth Bar though and not float down to the Confluence. Make sure your wearing your P.F.D.! I spend a lot of time on that stretch of water so don't hesitate to give me a shout with any questions.

Good luck,

Derek

Jay
04-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks Derrick! I really appreciate the help, especially from a guide on his business's water. I will probably head down tomorrow, might check out the mammoth bar area.

If I could beggar one last bit of information, By deep holes, are we talking the 5-6 foot runs with seams and tailouts, are are you talking about the 15+ deep box canyon stuff and the very large nearly still runs?

If you are talking about the real deep spots, are you still trying for bottom contact? Im not sure I could cast enough lead on my five weight with the indicator that high to do that. Are the fish up off bottom a bit?

Anyways, I truly appreciate the help. If you ever need somebody to run your shuttle vehicle or something, dont hesitate to ask.

Jay

Derek Hendrickson
04-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Jay,
You don't have to be 15ft down, but I would concentrate on the deeper slower water. With these warm conditions the next couple of weeks it will be no time before those big fish will be up in the shallows looking to grab streamers.

Derek

Jay
04-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks Derrick. Fished around Mammoth bar for a couple hours today. Nymph/indicatored my way up about a mile and swung a sculpin back down to my truck.

Had one take down on the nymph that may well have been a rock.

Some pretty little holes in that stretch. I will get one of these fish soon.

What would you say the rainbow to brown ratio is?

Derek Hendrickson
04-20-2009, 10:35 PM
I would say that is about even. It does seem that the majority of fish hooked over 16 inches are browns though.