PDA

View Full Version : firsts and fun

jburge
04-12-2009, 12:41 PM
So, I decided yesterday to go visit a Folsom pond I had heard about at a CFFU meeting. Fished from about 11:30 to 3:00 and it was down-right fun! Now, I've seen and heard all the talk about woolly buggers being the best fly ever. But in my short (8 month) fly fishing life, I had never caught anything on a bugger. Yesterday was a whole new day. The double first was catching a feisty bluegill on an black/olive bugger that I had tied. First 'gill, first bugger. That went on for a couple of hours. Then, I switched to an olive bugger and same thing. This was getting to be absolutely hilarious.

I then took out a bee pattern I had been working on just for curiosity sake. I wanted to see how it would float, and figured if anything hit at the surface it would be double payoff. What a hoot. The bee got slammed too.

But the most fun was towards the end of my stay, tying on a chubby chernobyl. Cast it right up against the weeds with a big splash, and seconds later I see all that poly yarn just get sucked under. Wham! Fish on. Two more casts, and two more fish. What an absolute blast to see that fish head come up out of the water and grab the bug.

I forgot how much fun bluegills can be. I caught everything on flies I tied. I finally got to catch something on a bugger. Fly fishing is a blast ;-)

John

David Lee
04-12-2009, 12:55 PM
I honestly would rather be dead than to out-grow chasin' Sunnies -

My favorite is Bass Bugging - watchin' those evil Sunfish grab a rubber leg on a huge bug and drag it down ....... trying to drown it . I'm glad they don't grow to 15 Lbs. - I'd quit wading .

David

Scott V
04-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Nothing like a bluegill that puts a good bend in a 3 wt. Big fish are fun, but bluegills will always make me laugh and that is why I like them the best.

Was this pond next to a high school by chance?

jburge
04-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Laughing is exactly what I was doing. I think the trail runners in the neighborhood must've thought I was nuts. I was literally cracking up out loud.

And yeah Scott, very close to a local school ;-) It was a trek to get my kayak in, but well worth it.

Phil Synhorst
04-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Good one J.:thumbsup:
I don't know of any fish quite so cooperative and feisty as Gills. They broke my skunk slump last year, as Mr. V can attest to....and won't let me live down.;-)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-12-2009, 08:55 PM
I think many underestimate how much fun small bass and pan-fish are on a fly rod.

Last summer Andy Guibord bought a new TFO 7'6" #3 - 2pc rod for around $100 new.

We put a few lines on it and decided that a WF5F was perfect for small bass bugs.

Maybe cut the front of the line back a foot and add a 7.5' 2x leader.

That outfit is just plan fun........

Hairstacker
04-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Way to go John, sounds like you had a blast! And always fun to catch fish on flies you tied yourself. :D

By the way, wait 'till a good bass toilet flushes one of your flies. :D