PDA

View Full Version : Lower Yuba Float

Fochetti
04-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Next week me and my buddy are going to float the Yuba for the first time on our pontoon boats. We are going to start at the 20 bridge around light and can only float until about noon. Does anyone know where we should pull out for a float of about five+ hours? I was thinking we could park the end truck somewhere along New Truck road I am just not sure how far down to go.

John

Hogan Brown
04-11-2009, 08:45 PM
take out at Sycamore Ranch. That is your only option. New Truck RD. is all private property.

Fochetti
04-11-2009, 08:59 PM
And where is Sycamore Ranch? How do I get there, where do I park? Can we make that float in five hours? I have driven along new truck road many times and parked along the river. All within a mile or so of the bridge, so is it private farther down or what is the deal?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-11-2009, 10:38 PM
If you put in at Hwy 20 Parks Bar Bridge it is not far down to Sycamore Ranch RV Park on the north side. A few miles?

http://www.sycamoreranchrvpark.com/

The Sycamore Ranch does shuttles from their place up to the Hwy 20 Bridge?

After that there is a take out on a private hunting club at the Daguerre Dam on the north side. Most guides join that club so they can do a longer float.

Mike McCune and friends use to float the Lower Yuba River about 30 years ago with a raft from the Hwy 20 Bridge down to the Daguerre Dam where they portaged around it and floated down to Hallwood or Walnut Road on the north side of the river where they left a vehicle. That's probably 10 miles?

Be sure to check this info out with someone because I have not been up there this year.

We started fishing that part of the river in the draught of the late 1970s, 30 years ago, so nothing is new.

Joe Patterson (retired Cortland Rep) and Wally Westlake (Baseball &Tiechert) discovered that fisheries and they are both in the mid-80s now.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/westlwa01.shtml?redir

Fochetti
04-12-2009, 02:22 AM
Thanks Bill

speyfool
04-12-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't think New Truck Rd is private. At least not the first mile or so. The sign says that isn't maintained. And since the place is loaded with off roaders, I don't think it is an issue.

I could very well be wrong about this. However, the times I've been there,, I've looked closely for no trespassing signs (on the road, not the surrounding land).

In any case, that would be a very short float.

mark
04-13-2009, 09:11 AM
put in below 20 and pay to use the sycamore ranch takeout. It is worth your while and if you call ahead they may even do a shuttle for you.

Feel free to PM me about the float specifically but if you take your time and stop to fish, you can stretch the float to 5 hours easily........ pack a lunch, have a great day on the water, the takeout is very well marked by a sign on river right...... there is a small side channel that will take you right back into sycamore ranch.

Don't take your vehicle onto the gravel bar at hwy 20 or anywhere else for that matter if you don't have 4wd. You will get stuck......

have fun, be safe.

Cheers,

-Mark

Fochetti
04-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks Mark,

I have been going down there a lot lately and do have a 4wd Tacoma so I can go all over there, it is pretty nice cause I can drive right down to the river. I was unaware of the fee to take out so thanks for that.

-F

JT
04-14-2009, 03:00 PM
I floated it last week in my pontoon boat. There is $5 fee to park at Sycamore Ranch, but you can park right on the river (side channel). After you see the sign on the river for Hammon Grove park, the river will split. Stay right. At the end of the fast run, there will be a side channel on the right side. That is Sycamore Ranch.

mark
04-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks Mark,

I have been going down there a lot lately and do have a 4wd Tacoma so I can go all over there, it is pretty nice cause I can drive right down to the river. I was unaware of the fee to take out so thanks for that.

-F

You're all set then, that's a great fishing vehicle. You will like that float, its fairly easy too and the takeout is easily marked.

Have fun, maybe give us a report when you get back.

-Mark

Fochetti
04-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Will do, hopedully it is a good one.