PDA

View Full Version : Hardy Salmon #1 or 2 wanted

Fochetti
04-09-2009, 10:35 PM
If anyone out there wants to get rid of a vintage Hardy Marquis Salmon 1 or two let me know. I really want to put a salmon two on my spey rod, and when I purchase my new switch I would like to put the one on it. I am also interested in any other of the lightweight series reels, so let me know. I found a nice #2 on E-Bay but it has started to get out of control in the last hours, really bummed.

Thanks

-F

roostersgt
04-10-2009, 10:22 AM
chk your PM

Fochetti
04-10-2009, 12:14 PM
And how many rubies are you willing to pay for this?

Carl,

It just depends on which one your talking about, but I am definitely willing to pay what they are worth. I really want a one and two badly...

John

Fochetti
04-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Carl,

I don't exactly make a killing, but I do enjoy my job, so I probably couldn't pay you what you want. However, let me know what you want for it. I can either start saving up or if you would be willing to take payments for it I could definitely do that. I know you probably won't like that idea but let me know what you are thinking and maybe we can make it happen. Are these the older ones or the new version.

Fochetti
04-11-2009, 12:35 AM
Do they say scientific anglers on them, or does it just have the SA. And I would be interested in them for sure, if they are the ones that have the four rivets, not just the single one. Tell me what you would be willing to let them go for. The brand new one you will probably want a bit more then I can afford but how about the used? And then hopefully we can work something out. Like I said maybe I can just save up for a while or make some payments to you weekly. Let me know if that would work.

Thanks

John

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-11-2009, 10:49 AM
We have new Hardy Marguis Salmon #1, #2 and #3 made in Korea now.

They are seriously a better reel than all the old ones for several reasons but their is no nostalgia with them.

They start at $299.00 usd and we are selling them mostly for Spey rods.

They are fully machine out of 6061 alloy, anodized, with a few improvements like a stainless steel handed pin rather than soft aluminum, but they are dimensionally exactly the same so spools and parts are interchangeable with the old ones.

I have sold and used Hardy reels sense 1965 in Sacramento so I am very familiar with everything to do with them.

Click-n-pawl (ratchet reels) reels seem to be making a little comeback now. Small ones for trout and larger ones for Steelhead/Spey.

Very little drag is needed for trout or most Steelhead situations.

Do get me wrong, we are not pushing them on anyone....it is a personal thing for only a few fly fishers.

Fochetti
04-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Bill,

I am aware that you guys sell the new ones, however I would like to find a vintage one if I can. If not I have already thought about that option and I will most likely get it at your store. So thanks for the info.

John

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi Carl,

You know we could have bought up all those old Hardy reels about 10-20 years ago when nobody wanted them.

Now they are getting popular again mostly because of nostalgia and Spey.

Some of those big Hardy Perfects for Spey are going for $1,000 now?

10-20 years ago you could not give them away.

You are right though, no matter what you pay for an old one it will always go up in value. Good investment.....

When I started working at Sports Unlimited in Sacramento in the mid-60s a Hardy 3 7/8" Perfect was $37.50

Fochetti
04-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Bill,

Twenty years ago I was only six years old so, I was only a fly fishing bum in training. That is craziness to think that I could have picked up one of those amazing reals for that price. But, oh well like all good things they just get better with age. Hopefully I can find one for a reasonable price one of these days. Thanks for all of the info though.

Carl,

You are 100% right, however the SA 10's are what I am looking for but I could only pay around $200 for one unless I saved up for a little while. So, unless you are willing to hook a young guy up for an awesome price, and have the satisfaction that you made someone immensely happy:D, i will keep searching for that once in a lifetime deal. Thanks for all the info though it is greatly appreciated.

John

norcal tom
04-11-2009, 10:04 PM
So where is the best place to start searching for one of these old hardys at ?Also what should a expect to pay?? thanks guys Tom Davis I Really what an old hardy for my spey rod ???

Fochetti
04-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Carl,

Does it only have the one rivet on it? Cause if so that is not the one I want. Does the new one have four? If so I would be willing to pay more for that one, but like I said I would just have to save up for a couple weeks.

On a different subject, those fish you caught in Mexico are making me so jealous. Were they all on a fly rod?

nrthcsteel
04-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Hey guys just thought Id put up some pictures to put some faces to some rivets....
Left to right
A Hardy Marquis 8/9. this would be the "one rivet" model. It has a circular "spring" made of some type of plasticy??? type material and one pawl.
A Scientific angler system 9, This would be the four rivet model. Two steel springs, two pawls and can easily be changed to left or right hand wind by flipping the pawls.
A Hardy Marquis salmon 2 with the same checkwork as the above reel.
The newer Marquis have the same check as the Marquis 2 and the SA 9 in the picture. I believe the older Marquis/SA reels came in a silent check/disc drag version also, but dont have info to prove it so dont hold me to it. The older reels also came with a silver spool face and a black spool face. The silver ones were the earliest and the black came later. I also believe the newer and older spools will work on the frames of both the most recent models and the older versions also. Great reels that get the job done.
Tom just do some searching around and you will find alot of old hardys. But as has been said expect to pay for them and ALOT for some versions. Ive seen alot of the older salmon Marquis reels in good condition going for the same price if not MORE than the newer versions. And as for perfects well thats a whole nother story...... Lets just say I paid just a bit more than 37.50 for a couple of recent 3 7/8 perfects!!!!!! Threw in a 3 3/4 perfect behind the other reels in the pictures. ..... Hope this helps out a little Kevin

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc120/keving71/P4110138.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc120/keving71/P4110140.jpg

nrthcsteel
04-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Oh yeah Fochetti as Carl mentioned I know times are tough but I would also suggest in being patient and getting the reel/reels that you really want. Even if it means saving a little here and there. And when you do have the funds if you buy used then look for one that is in really good shape, sometimes paying a little less is not the best way to go in the long run. Paying a little more for one in great shape or a new one will be better off in the long run. You will be catching fish with the reel you want and that will make your fishing days that much better and if you take care of the reel with regular maintenance it will hold its value and probably go up in value and will last you a lifetime. Good luck in your search you will find one .... and two@! Kevin

Fochetti
04-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Then after all that those are not the ones I am looking for after all. Thanks for the info and attempt though.

John

If anyone else has any info or wants to sell some Hardy's let me know.

John

Le' Roy
04-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Hey guys just thought Id put up some pictures to put some faces to some rivets....
Left to right
A Hardy Marquis 8/9. this would be the "one rivet" model. It has a circular "spring" made of some type of plasticy??? type material and one pawl.
A Scientific angler system 9, This would be the four rivet model. Two steel springs, two pawls and can easily be changed to left or right hand wind by flipping the pawls.
A Hardy Marquis salmon 2 with the same checkwork as the above reel.
The newer Marquis have the same check as the Marquis 2 and the SA 9 in the picture. I believe the older Marquis/SA reels came in a silent check/disc drag version also, but dont have info to prove it so dont hold me to it. The older reels also came with a silver spool face and a black spool face. The silver ones were the earliest and the black came later. I also believe the newer and older spools will work on the frames of both the most recent models and the older versions also. Great reels that get the job done.
Tom just do some searching around and you will find alot of old hardys. But as has been said expect to pay for them and ALOT for some versions. Ive seen alot of the older salmon Marquis reels in good condition going for the same price if not MORE than the newer versions. And as for perfects well thats a whole nother story...... Lets just say I paid just a bit more than 37.50 for a couple of recent 3 7/8 perfects!!!!!! Threw in a 3 3/4 perfect behind the other reels in the pictures. ..... Hope this helps out a little Kevin

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc120/keving71/P4110138.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc120/keving71/P4110140.jpg

Man that's a sweet bunch of ladys there hey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fochetti
04-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Yes they are I am so jealous, those are some sexy reels!