PDA

View Full Version : Columbia Waders?

Jay
04-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Looking for a new set of breathables. I've found a great deal on the Columbia Steelheads. Just wondering if anyone has any experience. Obviously durability and watertightness is the key, lol.

Thanks,
Jay

Jay
04-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Nobody has any experience? That can't be a good sign. Maybe I will just stick with the CPS waders then as those are the only other breathables i have any experience with and I liked them.

Jay
04-11-2009, 03:27 PM
How about the Albright Trinity?

gilligan
04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
We use to sell Columbia at Mountain Hardware in Truckee. There were a lots of leaky seams from not being taped so well. Reddington waders are okay for the money but if you fish a few times a week get a pair of Simms.

www.gilligansguideservice.blogspot.com

Jay
04-12-2009, 12:53 AM
Thank you! Columbias averted, lol.

Only the lowliest of Simms are in my price range. Are they still up to snuff?

Jay

loganmike
04-12-2009, 07:31 AM
Jay,
You don't need to drop a mortgage payment on a pair of Simms waders to get kick butt waders.

Check out cabela's guide model. 5 layered knees and butt, taped, BOMBPROOF. have had a pair for 2 years and am VERY hard on my gear. Oh, and you can get them for around 200.

Hodgeman makes decent waders as well, looking around 150.

check out the thread on Simms customer service and wader durability. from talking to my friends. Yeah, the waders are great, until... well, you read the threads.

good luck and I would put my money on the guides from cabelas.

me

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-12-2009, 08:50 AM
I bet there are at least 50 brands of waders now.

Seems like everyone has them now.

I would stick brand names like with Simms, Patagonia, Orvis, Bailey's, Redington.....

There should be plenty of these at low rices on the web.

Darrin.Deel
04-12-2009, 08:52 AM
you can get Dan baileys really cheap. I just got simms G3 convertables and I love them, but dan baileys are good, inexpensive waders.

Jay
04-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks guys. I have made my decision, we'll see how it goes. I appreciate the input.

RobK.
04-21-2009, 12:02 PM
I have gone through two pairs of Dan Baileys waders and boots, just last year !! MY fist pare of boots ripped out on the side from heel to toe . When they ripped i fell off a rock and though i was going to DIE . I was standing on a slanted rock 5' above the river, the whole side of the boot ripped open sending me into the river . NOT FUN !!! Thank God i landed in water and not the rocks.

I would stick with what Bill said !!