PDA

View Full Version : Finally busted my Yuba cherry

SHigSpeed
04-08-2009, 05:27 PM
It was spittin', windy, and sometimes cold, but I finally got my first wild Yuba rainbow today fishing with JBlack.

He got two to net and lost a few more, and I got this 20" beauty on a soft hackle hare's ear fished behind a dry.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Lakes/Yuba/2009%204%208/DSCF9453.jpg

If it weren't for the wind, I'm thinking we could really have gotten into some numbers today...

_SHig

mikel
04-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Those Yuba rainbows fidht harrrrrd. That had to be a fun tussle. Good for you!

Hairstacker
04-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Man, what a great fish -- great job! =D>

Scott V
04-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Good job Shig, that is a beauty of a fish.

charles
04-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Hey Shig, was that you with the yellow lab. I yelled at you from across the river and asked how you did. I only caught one. It was my biggest fish on a dry fly and only my second fish on the Yuba in 4 outings. It was a tough day! I was there from 10:45 to 5:30 and only got one fish.

Here is a pit of mine. It seems my girth dwarfs the fish, it was actually a lot bigger than the picture makes it seem. It measured 18-19 inches in my net.

jblack
04-09-2009, 10:07 AM
That was us above you near the cliffs. when we came down you were headed up river a bit.

590Mike
04-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Beauty of a fish and congrats.
I was above the bridge on Sunday and the flyfisherman hatch was huge ! Managed two 12"ers to hand and lost 5 on a soft hackle march brown.

Really can't knock that other than losing 3 fly boxes while crossing where I knew better. Too fast and deep,but didn't want to walk through everyones fishing. Glad my number is on the back of the boxes if they are found.

SHigSpeed
04-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Beauty of a fish and congrats.
I was above the bridge on Sunday and the flyfisherman hatch was huge ! Managed two 12"ers to hand and lost 5 on a soft hackle march brown.

Really can't knock that other than losing 3 fly boxes while crossing where I knew better. Too fast and deep,but didn't want to walk through everyones fishing. Glad my number is on the back of the boxes if they are found.

Wow, great hookup counts! How are you fishing your soft hackles?

_SHig

590Mike
04-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I started out swinging down and across,but wasn't having the best luck with my rod, (acutally I was over gunned as I took the 9' 6"7wt z-axis I just finished building.) And I actually had let myself get talked into going ,so I took my new rod and a steelhead taper floating line which isn't reallly meant for the presentation of #14 dries.

As the fish were all pretty much rising around us, actually within about 15 feet at times so we switched to casting above the rises and trying to get a really good drag free drift.with as careful of a mend as possible. David (the newbie) is getting closer to poppin the yuba cherry, but is still learning the subtle nuances of watching your fly and not the naturals/viceaversa and swearing at the fish at the same time.

A couple of the takes were on the march brown cripple and a couple on the wet fly. One of the guys across stream was doing well on a tan caddis,but I didn't see that many caddis and only one or two smaller stoneflies. He and someone upstream had a good day from what I could see, but they both had really good casts going also so I'm assuming the were getting drag free drifts, which is so important on that dang river when its sunny and clear.

Mik
04-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Very nice fish. It will make you come back for more.