PDA

View Full Version : shad flies

luvtocatchem
04-06-2009, 05:19 PM
post'em if you got'em now dont be shy!!! these are just a few of what i use

luvtocatchem
04-07-2009, 03:10 PM
agreed! i like the synthetics betterseems to stay cleaner longer,than like chennile..just sharing.. come on guys post some pics

Goblin
04-07-2009, 11:31 PM
The latest shad fishing threads got me pumped up to tie a few flies for the upcoming run on the Russian. Here are a few of my first attempts. I didn't have much in the way of materials on-hand, but I found a few things that might work. I had heck of time getting tight wraps on the two amnesia bodied flies. Is there any particular technique that helps get tighter wraps? I only had 20lb test so it may have been a little heavy.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/Goblin75/007.jpg

lee s.
04-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Gob.,
Tie in all your materials at the eyes and tie them back to the bend, where appropriate. This will help you to achieve a flat smooth "under-body" and makes whatever material you use on top of that easier to apply well.
....lee s.

Darian
04-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Hey Gob,.... Nice looking flies. I've had some luck wrapping uniform bodies using Sunset Amnesia, 30 pound test, by placing the material in some hot water for a short period before tying it in. That seems to soften it up and makes it easier to wrap. :cool:

I'm fairly sure that it doesn't make any difference to the Shad whether the wrap is perfect, tho.... :D

Goblin
04-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks for comments on the flies. I will definitely start tying the materials behind the bead-eyes. I have been starting with the eyes, wrapping back, then tying the all the materials forward from the bend. I also like the idea of softening the amnesia line with warm water, good tip.

As Carl pointed out I have a tendency to crowd the hook eye. Should I be placing the eyes further back on the shank or is it more of an issue with putting in to many wraps to tie off? I usually put in three to four base wraps at the eye followed with a five wrap whip finish. I suspect I put in to many wraps since my trout, Steelhead, and bass ties always end up with a big gob of thread at the hook eye.

Scott V
04-09-2009, 09:54 AM
One of the biggest things I learned about shad fishing last year from Jeff C., was if you are not at the right depth you won't catch anything no matter what you have tied on. I was amazed how we would be throwing the same fly into the same pool on the same line but since he had a heavier shooting head then what I was throwing, he was catching and I was watching.

Carl, nice looking shad flies, but then I would not expect anything less than real nice flies tied by yourself.

Goblin
04-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Carl,

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think of finishing the fly behind the optics. I am really new to tying so I am still learning how to layer in materials and where to start and finish flies. This is good info.

I have been using single-strand unwaxed floss since it seems to lay out fairly flat and has good strength. I thought of using Kevlar thread, but the Pro Shop only had it in a light orange color. I agree with your observation regarding cactus chenille. The pink chenille I was using kept shedding as I wrapped it forward. The orange hackle I used is estaz chenille which seems way more durable.

I admit I am afflicted with perfectionist tendencies that drive me fret over the appearance of my flies. However, I still fish the crappy flies I make up. You should see my trout ties, they redefine defective. Nonetheless, they look buggy and when I find the right spot I can get a few takers. I am sure the appearance and durability of my flies will improve over time as I learn more from experienced fly tiers like you.

I was just at the Pro Shop in R.P. a few weeks back buying some materials for bass flies. I didn't realize the Pro Shop's fly selection includes hand-ties by local anglers. I thought the entire stock came from over-seas tying factories. I will have to grab a few of your flies next time I head north.

Jeff C.
04-10-2009, 08:16 AM
OK, time for me to wade into this discussion on shad flies. Before the shad season started last year I tied a bunch of flies on sz 6 Mustad 3908C's. Guess what happened, the shad were going for smaller sized flies. This year I've tied up a bunch of Bloody Marias on sz 10 scud hoods and some sz 8 Surf Candies and Wet Pinkies. I just got a Winston BIIX 7 wt switch rod that I picked up from George Revel. I going to pair it up with a short Skagit plus tips for spey casting and shooting heads for overhead casting. The shad will be here SOON!!!

Hairstacker
04-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Jeff, near as I can tell, you're the most avid shad fisherman on this board -- with the new rod and all, I hope you get into them big time this year! :D

Scott V
04-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Jeff, near as I can tell, you're the most avid shad fisherman on this board -- with the new rod and all, I hope you get into them big time this year! :D

Jeff is cucko for coco puffs, I mean shad. Plus he is willing to help out a fellow fly guy that knew nothing of these mighty little fish.

lee s.
04-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Also, Jeff will be the ONE catching fish!

lee s.
04-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Hmmmm, let's see.....?,
The "Only" one.....where did that come from?
I said "the ONE".....like one guy catching 4, another catching 6, and ONE catching 36. That ONE would be Jeff. I'm very sure you know what I mean.
Jeff knows his fish, KNOWS his GEAR, and knows his river.....and he is one of the best I have had the opportunity to guffaw with and swap lies with on his river. A very class act, indeed.

roostersgt
04-13-2009, 02:26 PM
I see lots of cottonwood falling and blowing in the air today. Lots. Wonder what that usually signals the start of? Hmmmmmmmm

Hairstacker
04-13-2009, 03:10 PM
I see lots of cottonwood falling and blowing in the air today. Lots. Wonder what that usually signals the start of? Hmmmmmmmm

Why, carp season, of course. :D

David Lee
04-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Why, carp season, of course. :D

Run out an buy that new , $70.00 special Carp line yet Mike ???

I'm sure they'll ignore every one of my flies this year , regardless on the line I use ......

David

Jeff C.
04-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Was fishing the lower A. for half-pounders Sunday afternoon and saw the cottonwood in the air. There's no shad at the Log Hole yet.

luvtocatchem
05-08-2009, 11:16 PM
can some please post a pic of (Surf Candies) and bloody marias...please..thank you

kbarton
05-09-2009, 06:02 AM
My favorite from last season

Jeff C.
05-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Here'a a cell phone pic of a Surf Candy and a couple of Bloody Marias.