PDA

View Full Version : Governor on fisheries from The Fish Sniffer

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Governor Apologizes for Destroying California Fisheries, Reverses Position on Canal

by Dan Bacher

In an epic conversion like that of Saint Paul of Tarsus, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger this morning apologized to the public for his role in the destruction of California's fish populations during a hastily assembled press conference at the State Capitol in Sacramento. Central Valley chinook salmon, steelhead, green sturgeon, delta smelt, longfin smelt and other fish populations are in an unprecedented state of collapse, due to massive water exports out of the California Delta and declining water quality - and Schwarzenegger vowed to do everything in his power to reverse the decline.

"I greatly apologize to recreational anglers, commercial fishermen, California Indian Tribes, environmentalists and the public for the damage that my administration's policies have caused to California fish populations," said Schwarzenegger, with tears streaming down his face. "Starting today, I will begin a new initiative to make the restoration of California's rivers, the Delta and coastal waters the number one priority of this administration."

He announced a number of immediate measures that will go in effect today. These include:

• imposing a ban on suction dredge mining on California rivers until new restrictions are developed by the DFG

• instructing the Central Valley Regional Water Control Board to adopt tough new water quality standards for agricultural dischargers

• setting up a meeting with President Obama and Warren Buffett, owner of the PacifiCorp's dams, to immediately begin dam removal on the Klamath River.

• rescinding the layoff notices of 98 Department of Fish and Game wardens and cadets

In a stunning break with his previous positions, Schwarzenegger said that his plan to construct a peripheral canal around the Delta and Temperance Flat and Sites reservoirs was ill advised and "wrong."

"The public has spoken and all of the scientific evidence indicates that building the canal and more dams would be a gigantic mistake ," he said. "I now agree with fishermen, Delta farmers, environmentalists and respected scientists that building a peripheral canal and more dams would only exacerbate the collapse of salmon, delta smelt and other fish populations. I have instead instructed the Department of Water Resources to begin mandatory water conservation in California and have issued an executive order to take drainage impaired land in the San Joaquin Valley out of production. If we are going to have a truly green state, Californians must conserve water and practice sustainable agriculture."

Schwarzenegger also announced the immediate firing of Mike Chrisman from his position as Resources Secretary and replacing him with Bill Jennings, executive director of the California Sportfishing Protection Alliance and a longtime advocate for clean water and healthy fisheries. He also ordered the resignation of Lester Snow, Director of the Department Resources, replacing him with Barbara Barrigan-Parrilla, campaign coordinator for Restore the Delta.

"For too long we have had the fox guarding the hen house in our state agencies," said Schwarzenegger. "By appointing new leadership in the Resources Agency and Department of Water Resources, we will reverse the decline of our precious fish populations and will make these agencies true stewards of our public trust resources."

Schwarzenegger also announced the disbanding of the controversial Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Blue Ribbon Task Force after years of complaints by anglers, commercial fishermen, Indian Tribes and grassroots environmentalists that the process was biased and put sustainable fishermen and seaweed harvesters out of business while not addressing the true reasons behind fishery declines.

Craig Tucker, spokesman for the Karuk Tribe, responded to Schwarzenegger's reversal of positions with surprise and jubilation. "I'm elated that the Governor has finally woken up, seen the destructive impact of his policies and vowed to restore California's salmon and other fish populations," said Tucker. "If he actually follows through with his plans, we can start calling him 'Conan the Riparian' and the 'Green Governor' rather than the 'Fish Terminator.'"

Lets see where this goes from here, while remaining even more vigilant ....dick

For more information, go to: http://www.calsport.org/4-1-09.htm

© 2000–2009 San Francisco Bay Area Independent Media Center. Unless otherwise stated by the author, all content is free for non-commercial reuse, reprint, and rebroadcast, on the net and elsewhere. Opinions are those of the contributors and are not necessarily endorsed by the SF Bay Area IMC. Disclaimer | Privacy | Contact

Darian
04-06-2009, 08:55 AM
WOW!!!! What change.... With tears, yet.... :confused: I can see a new theme song coming now: Just a Flippin' 'n Floppinnnn', Flippin' 'n Floppinnnnn', YEAH!!!! OWWwww!!!! I know he said he wouldn't run but isn't he coming up for re-election soon :question: :question:

"Beware of Greeks bearing gifts".... :|

David Lee
04-06-2009, 08:57 AM
I can't believe it .

Is there a video of this anywhere ???????????????

If it IS true ........ it could be the best news I've heard in years !!

David

David Lee
04-06-2009, 09:11 AM
The article IS NOT TRUE - some ass put it up as a joke for April 1st and it is still making the rounds on the internet .

To whoever wrote it in the first place - pray you don't meet me face-to-face anytime soon .

David

Fats
04-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I was going to say "check out the date" and then I did on the link to verify...

April Fools Day can really suck!

David Lee
04-06-2009, 09:40 AM
I was going to say "check out the date" and then I did on the link to verify...

April Fools Day can really suck!

It's insensitive to the point of being sick and warped . Most of us are holding out for ANYTHING that will help the current situatuion ..... and I didn't find that even remotely funny .

Chlidish , really ........

David

flyfshrmn
04-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Bill,

Nice wet dream. It would take replacing AS with a pod person to accomplish any of this.

bg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-06-2009, 10:10 AM
I thought it was for real......guess it's a bad joke.

David Lee
04-06-2009, 10:14 AM
I thought it was for real......guess it's a bad joke.

I know you thought it was real (as did I , obviously) and I don't blame you .

D. -

Frank Alessio
04-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Wow .... Makes Reality seem like a Bad Dream......

troutbm
04-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Don't you guys know by now that every single drop of water that makes it to the pacific ocean is a complete waste of water ??? I'm being sarcastic of course ! You can't totally blame Arnold for the problem, Ya see theres whole citys, towns, community's, and farms built where there is no water to support them so they must steal it. California politics makes me wanna vomit !

Phil Synhorst
04-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Pardon me while I go and try to wash this "Sucker" stamp off of my forehead.

I thought it was a bit over dramatic(the crying and all), but maybe it was mostly true. They did mention Indian Tribes, and the Governator has been in bed with them before. That's what got my attention.

Oh well.:sad:

Ed Wahl
04-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Jeez, what's going on here?

Am I the only cynic left on the board?

I read it on the sniffer site, I only made it through the first paragraph before looking at who put it up and when.

This was only a mediocre gag at best.

I'm with Carl, only I've got some bridges to sell.

Cheap.

Darrin.Deel
04-06-2009, 10:04 PM
that was harsh...

(Don't worry bill, Not you, the source you got it form)

Darian
04-06-2009, 11:20 PM
After re-reading this thing a few times, now, I think it's funny. :smirk:

Ed, I'm probably the only guy on this BB that's even more cynical than you and I'm still releasing myself from the hook. :rolleyes: Bill sure doesn't have anything to be chagrined about. :D

STEELIES/26c3
04-07-2009, 01:42 AM
Wow!

I fell hook, line and sinker...

I went from elation and chills running up and down my spine....

to feeling/thinking...

How ridiculously naive I must be...

Guess the bit about appointing the president of CSPA was the give away...

but yes, what an evil joke.

And yet, that might be a great letter for me to forward to the governor... along with an explanation of my reaction to it.

And a great reminder for those of who truly care and have a voice, to USE IT@!

Senate Bill AB 1253 comes to mind in particular.

http://www.calsport.org/cspa3-18-09a.htm

Peace,
Mark

Hairstacker
04-07-2009, 02:56 PM
For me, the "tears streaming down his face" immediately drew a question mark about the whole account. Arnold doesn't cry in public. Appointing the president of CSPA was the clincher.