PDA

View Full Version : Amador or Berryessa?

jcanger
04-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Alright guys...In an effort to keep myself into fish year-round, this trout bum is heading to the local reservoirs in search of our other freshwater fish. I've been doing some research on local hot spots for bass, and narrowed it down to Lake Amador and Lake Berryessa. (I ruled out Folsom b/c I can't rent a boat anywhere on the lake.) If you had to chose between the two, at this time of year, which would you prefer? I've heard a lot about the northeast side of Berryessa being hot at the right time of day. What do you think?

Scott V
04-02-2009, 02:38 PM
I am fond of Berryessa, it is one of my favorite places to fish for bass. And as you have heard the northeast section is a great place to start. Although Amador has some nice bass, for me it is a harder lake to fish for them. Unless you use live crawdads, but then is a whole other story.

Darian
04-02-2009, 02:38 PM
My choice would be Berryessa.... The water is clear and water temps were in the 53 degree range two weeks ago. Should be much higher now. Boat rentals are available at Markley Cove. The east side of the lake is relatively shallow with lots of deeper creek channels entering. The east side is private property and a good length run from the dock. So, you need a boat. Trout were jumping when I was there. Plenty of Trout mixed in with Smallies and Largemouth Bass. Should be some great Crappie fishing next to the marina docks in Markely Cove, too.

Tip: Go during the week to avoid the water skiers and skidoo guys.

David Lee
04-02-2009, 03:27 PM
I've never fished Berryessa .

I have done well at Amador .

Bass are spawning now - that means there are Bass still staging/feeding well within your reach . It could be worth your time in a big way !!

David

Hairstacker
04-02-2009, 04:23 PM
I would choose Berryessa as well. I agree with Scott, I think Amador is a harder lake to fish for bass.

jcanger
04-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate all your input.

Yeah, honestly, I wasn't thrilled with the prospect of chasing bass anytime soon, but I'm going fishing with dad. And anymore, he just cant handle the kind of trout fishing I'd prefer. So, I'm excited to hear that in addition to what sounds like pretty good bass fishing Lake Berryessa might also provide some nice lake trout action. I guess I'll bring my 6 weight too. :)

I'll let you know how we do. Thanks again.

Hairstacker
04-02-2009, 05:30 PM
At this time of year, I would most definitely bring your fly rod with you, as there should be pods of trout swimming near the surface in various coves.

Having said that, I simply can't understand your disinclination to chase after bass anytime soon. For me, it can't be soon enough. :lol:

troutbm
04-02-2009, 05:56 PM
North end of berryessa, Don't bother with the dam area/markley cove.

jcanger
04-02-2009, 08:34 PM
HairStacker, I apologzie that I wasn't clear. I'll be chasing bass this weekend with a fly rod - my 8 weight. But with the prospect of eager lake trout, I guess I'll also bring my 10' 6 weight. Could be fun. I'll let you know. Thanks again