PDA

View Full Version : Cool fly!

Hairstacker
04-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Hey guys, check out this fly. It was developed by a gentleman named Chris Pelham, who posted it on another forum I frequent. It is a fly tier's version of a conventional spinnerbait:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/Ewock.jpg

Here's what he said about the 1st time he fished it:

"Trust me it works, I tied the first version for a joke fly swap but ended up giving it a shot out in one of the ponds I fish. First cast and this guy inhaled it... I was watching the flies movement as I stripped it in. It was swimming correctly then all of the sudden it moved 3 feet to the left and disappeared..."

Is that cool or what? I plan to tie some up myself when I get a chance and see what those Delta bass think of it. :D

Darrin.Deel
04-01-2009, 12:37 PM
what is the pearl flash (the spinner) tied to?

Darian
04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
WOW!!! That's a great lookin' fly. :nod: Kinda looks like a combination of Burke's bass fly and a Pigboat.... :unibrow: Looks like I'm gonna be spending some time at the vise.... :D

Pelhament
04-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Hey Guys,

Mike sent me a note asking if he could cross post this over here, so I thought I would check in to see if there were any questions or anything. I call it the Ewok, because the head looks a bit Ewokish.

The secret to getting this fly looking how it does as well as riding correctly in the water is all in the hook.

I am using a Gamakatsu G-Lock Worm hook, like the ones you would use for senkos.
http://www.gamakatsu.com/catalog/gif/worm_37.gif

The recipe is:
Gamakatsu G-Lock hook 1/0
40 lb Maxima Ultragreen
Silver Krystal Flash
Lead Dumbell Eyes
Spinner Bait Skirt
Rabbit strip in the same color as the skirt.

First I secure the mono in the vise and secure a pinch of Krystal Flash to it. I kind of spin it around the mono like you would deer hair. Whip finish and coat with head cement.

I secure the hook in the vise and attach the dumbell eyes on top of the hook shank into the v-shaped crevise.

Turn the hook over and tie in the mono in the 90 degree bend so the flash sticks straight up, perpendicular to the hook shank. I try to make it so the mono is long enough for the flash to sit directly behind the bend in the hook to avoid fouling.

I tie in the spinner bait skirt behind the mono tie in point in the center of the skirt, much how you would attach the skirt with a collar on actual spinner baits.

I then place a 2-3 in Rabbit Strip in a Magic Tool (or big clip) and cut off the hide. Place the fur in a dubbing loop and wrap behind, around and in front of the dumbell eyes. Whip Finish and fish.

It rides perfectly in the water hook point and flash up. This fly is 2 years in the making. It has been seriously tested and proved. The most recent addition was the rabbit hair head. which really added a lot of movement and a much nicer profile to the fly.

Tight lines,
Chris

Hairstacker
04-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Chris, thanks so much for weighing in and giving us the recipe and tying instructions, very, very much appreciated!

Tony P
04-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Very nice fly & a beautiful tie! I saw it the other night on Hatches site. I don't know how many of you recall but several years ago Andy Burk use to have a fly similar to that design that Umpqua use to market.

Tony P

P.S. The photography is top notch also!

Scott V
04-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the info Chris, and I just happen to have some of those hooks myself seeing as I still use my conventional gear.