PDA

View Full Version : 3/29 yuba_3/30 Calaveras report

amoeba
03-30-2009, 06:07 PM
saturday: Yuba 1-3 pm; perfect green water color, 54 degree water; came across large pod of spawners and pre-spawners; eleven fish hooked, all very heavy, 2 landed (~18+"), 2 short distance release, others played but unbuttoned. Bite went off 3-6 pm; no bananas then.

Sunday: Calaveras (~2 miles below dam, in canyon section); 4-6 pm; Poppyland! beautiful wildflowers everywhere, river running ~50-60 cfs is my guess - a bit more than CDEC says -easier than the near impossible wading at the normal 100+ cfs of this steram; water atypically warm for this system - ~58 degrees - Hogan must be very low;

No fish caught and no rises seen, but single digit strikes/chases on elk hair caddis on top or "drowned"

If anyone is interested, you have one more day of fishing before Calaveras closes for season, I believe.

Fochetti
04-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Went to the Yuba Today, gorgeous day, not much happening in the way of a hatch but did manage a few rises with a march brown. Got one nice fish with a Red Copper John. It was my first Yuba fish, just started going there a couple weeks ago. I can't believe how strong that rainbow was. Here is a couple pics...

El Rey
04-03-2009, 08:21 PM
I was there yesterday, Thursday 4/2. Fished from 1:00 to 5:00 above the bridge. No bugs apparent at first, so I fished small micro-may nymphs. Caught one big bruiser. After one long run he finally broke off as I was fumbling for my net.

About 3:00 I noticed a few PMDs and one or two March Browns. There were several rises, so I switched to dries. No luck on my imitations. So, when all else fails I switch to a two-fly rig with a Parachute Adams and an EC caddis. Caught one on each. The first, on the Adams, was huge, but after a few runs he went airborne and threw the fly. Later I got a 12"er on the caddis. After having been skunked several times recently, this qualified as an excellent day.

Things are looking up with the bugs. More warm weather will only improve things.

Fochetti
04-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Going back tomorrow, hopefully I can have a day like that...I have been skunked many times there lately.

Big Jim
04-04-2009, 12:34 AM
why are you fishing for spawners? Please leave the spawners alone.

amoeba
04-06-2009, 11:56 AM
bigjim:

when I said "spawners and pre-spawners" - that was in reference to the size and condition of the fish (with some fish fat, and others appearing to be spawned out) when they were caught. The "pod" was in reference to many fish being caught in the same place ; I was not targeting them by sight-fishing on redds - if that's what you were thinking I meant. The fish just happen to be ALL big last couple times out. All caught on barbless as required and released immediately, with fish in the water with the most minimal handling (no unnecessary netting, posing, or pictures).

By the way - I was there on 4/4; and had another dozen hookups, with 3 more monster fish brought to hand (18-22"). The person I was fishing with caught one even larger (~24+), and another in the ~20" range.

Very few people on saturday. A little cool and windy but very good fishing nonetheless. Still a afternoon bite (1-4 pm).

Big Jim
04-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Amoeba,
Yeah, I thought you meant fishing to visible spawners on redds. You wouldn't believe how many times I have seen folks doing that on the Y - or maybe you would....

anyway, glad you had some luck.

Jim