PDA

View Full Version : Camp Far West , 3/27

David Lee
03-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Hit it w/ Darian today , fished 12:30 'till dusk .

Temps high 50's , visibility 3 feet w/ Brown stain . No wind to speak of ....

Spotted Bass - 1 @ 12 inches , 2 @ 13 1/2 inches , 1 @ 14 1/2 inches . All on 8 Wt. Craw , no rip/Streamer bite for me . You'll have to ask Darian what he caught .

Beautiful day out there , and great company . Thanks for the trip/conversation , Darian !!!!

David

Hairstacker
03-27-2009, 09:07 PM
David, sounds like you fellas had a good time. That 14 1/2" spot must have put up a pretty good fight -- hope you weren't using your RPLX again. :lol:

Soooo . . . Darian, fess up, what'd you catch? :D

SHigSpeed
03-27-2009, 10:07 PM
No wind? What, you had the dome of calm? It was blowing all day in Rocklin...

So, did you manage to remember your fins this time? :)

_SHig

Darian
03-27-2009, 10:28 PM
I don't see a skunk emoticon available. :lol: Guess it wasn't my day.... Next time. :nod: Gotta say I don't troll flies very often (like once a year) and found that I was slow on recognizing strikes. :confused:

Lotsa laughs involved. Always have a good time with David as a fishing partner. :D Met a couple of gear guys fishing out of float tubes up there. After landing their tubes, we struck up a conversation during which I mentioned that David was my fishing buddy. One of them asked, "is that David Lee :?: " (recognition from the BB) :lol:

The scenery is beautiful with everything out there in green. Another month and it'll be foothills brown. The lake looks like it might be a good spot later; if you can stand all of the water skiers, wake boarders and skidoos.... Definitely go during the week. 8-)

David Lee
03-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Mike -

Yup , the 7 RPLX . The 'big' Spot did tear pretty hard ...

SHig -

'Dome of calm' ...... Ha ! I did remember my fins , and my no wind ju-ju .

Darian -

Screw the fish - the conversation made up for the slow fishing ! I really enjoyed hanging out and chattering , thanks again for a great day .

CFW will be ON soon - the Sunnies have yet to move shallow , and the reaction and topwater bites are still a ways off . Try to get out there at least once a week for the next 5 weeks - sooner or later , the EPIC day we all dream about will happen .

I hope I'm there when it does !!!!!

David

Hairstacker
03-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Darian, I apologize for asking. :lol: When that fella asked if it was David Lee, did he have a look of awe on his face? David's becoming famous. :lol:

David Lee
03-28-2009, 06:52 AM
When that fella asked if it was David Lee, did he have a look of awe on his face?

More like amusment and disgust . Can't say I blame 'em .....

Nice guys , though ! It doesn't matter if it's fly , gear , or bait - most folks that fish are pretty nice .

David

Darian
03-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Mike,.... These guys were knowledgeable about the bottom features of the lake and the fishing was still slow; even for them. :confused: They had some fly gear with them and one cast a few times near his truck. :) Seemed like a nice folks to me.... :D

Hairstacker
03-28-2009, 11:07 AM
It doesn't matter if it's fly , gear , or bait - most folks that fish are pretty nice .

Yep, that about sums it up. I often check in on the catfish guys when I'm on my way in or out of the Delta. I'm just as curious about what they're doing and catching as they are about my fly gear. (They're often amazed you can catch bass on flies and that you can craft them yourself. :)). I always sensed the friendly bond of just being fellow fishing enthusiasts regardless of the gear or approach. 8-)

bushplanter
03-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Thought I would chime in on meeting david lee. I was one of the "gear guys" that you met up with the other day. First, it was a pleasure to meet both of you, and second, David, thanks for the crayfish pattern fly. I have to admit, I am a pretty serious fly guy, but after a long winter I was in serious need of a tug. So, I opted for dragging plastic around, and was successful in giving 4 of camp far wests residents a sore mouth. My pal had a little less success, but did manage to fool one catfish with a bass worm. Catching bass on plastics can be pretty easy, but fooling the wiley catfish, that take some skill. I did manage one take on your pattern, but was a little slow with the hook set, and was not rewarded.
As a follow up, I had the opportunity to utilize the crayfish at a local private golf course (it is nice to have friends that work there) and bass up to 4 pounds found it to be quite tasty. It is definitly well constructed, holding up to more than twenty assaults.
Hope to run into you guys again at some time in the future. It was a pleasure.
Bushplanter

Darian
03-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Hey Bushplanter,.... Good to hear from you. Enjoyed our conversation. After watching you two, I decided to start taking my casting gear with me on Bass trips just to have an option of flies aren't workin'.... :nod:

We'll probably run into each other up there again.... :thumbsup:

David Lee
04-01-2009, 05:55 PM
BP -

Sorry we didn't have more time to chatter . Catch you guys out there again soon !!!!

David