PDA

View Full Version : stupid 8/0 thread

Ed Wahl
03-23-2009, 12:28 PM
That's all I'm sayin.
Ed

Darrin.Deel
03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
I know exactly how you feel. Do what i do: throw the 8/0 thread across the room and tie bigger flies and use 3/0

Scott V
03-23-2009, 01:10 PM
What you tying up Ed? Something dry?

Ed Wahl
03-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Yep. Working on my #14 E/C Caddis' for the swap.

Then I've got to tie up a bunch more for personal use.

Tony P
03-23-2009, 01:46 PM
That's all I'm sayin.
Ed

I don't know if Kiene's carries Power Silk or UTC GSP 50 deneir but you'll bend your hooks before you break your thread. I personally like Power Silk because it lays nice & flat where as UTC is more round.

Tony P

Jgoding
03-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Kienes carries GSP (probably UTC). I typically buy all the spools they have (50 or 55 denier) though but I haven't been in awhile so you should be good to go. In my experience it lays flat though too.
Not sure if I like it for small stuff..... GSP just has some weird properties to it. I like GG 14/0 personally but I don't think that's what Ed is looking for...... I don't know .... 8/0 is like tying with a piece of rope for me...=p

Hairstacker
03-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Ed, having problems with 8/0? The answer is very simple: 6/0. :lol:

Seriously, size 6/0 will be fine on a size 14 E/C Caddis and may provide you with that little tad bit extra margin of strength you're looking for.

In fact, if I hadn't seen this thread and was sitting down to tie a batch of size 14 E/C Caddis, I would have reached for the 6/0.

590Mike
03-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Ed I'm with you on 8/0 but, on smaller flies 18-24 midges and clousers If you lightly wax the spool it helps, also try to keep the bobbin straight. I usually break the thread when I'm holding the bobbin at an angle and that's when the swearing begins.

Ed Wahl
03-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the sympathy and tips guys.

I used the 8/0 because that's what was called for in the original pattern from Cutter's website. I wanted to tie it true to form for the swap. It is after all, Cutters E/C Caddis, not Ed's.
A bit anal perhaps, but I was shooting for as close to the original as I could get. Had to shop around for the hook too.

Now that I've gotten used to the thread I'll start going smaller. And changing colors.

Turns out, as has happened many times before, this fly is a lot easier than I would have thought.

So many flies, so few places to carry them.

Ed

Terry Thomas
03-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Ed,
You might want to try UTC in 70 D. You really have to pull hard to break that stuff, especially on small dry flies. I haven't tied much with the UTC GSP material.

Ed Wahl
03-26-2009, 08:43 PM
I think I'll just get used to the 8/0, no crutches.

I master it, or it masters me.

Ed

SHigSpeed
03-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Not sure if the thread is snapping on you, but if it's your problem, make sure you have a good ceramic tip bobbin. That made all the differernce for me.

_SHig

Ed Wahl
03-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks Shig, I'll give it a try.

It would snap 'cause of too much tension. It would snap because I brushed it against the hooks point. It would snap if I tried to whip finish with more than 3 turns. It would snap if it caught on my rough skin. It would snap if a cloud obscured the sun, or if my dog ran in front of the door. If a car went by. If the phone rang. Whenever a bird sang or the wind blew. The arc of the sun itself was enough to break that thread.:mad:](*,)](*,)

Turns out it was me all along.#-o

I beat it down and now it's mine.:p

Funny how your fingers can just adapt when you need them to.

Scott V
03-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Trying to blame your tying on duke was just wrong, he is a good boy.:p