PDA

View Full Version : Simms G3 Convertable Waders

Darrin.Deel
03-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Just ordered 'em.

Anyone own a pair? How have they been and how easy is the conversion?

Craig Nielsen
03-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Darrin:
I have fished a pair of Simms Convertibles for one season. I was a part of a test team that recommended Simms offer a convertible, having worn Patagonias for years. They have worn well, are very well tailored and comfortable and I hope to get the better part of another season out of them. I particularly like them when I am fishing out of the boat and use them as waist highs. They are also great on hot summer days hiking the McCloud when I might otherwise want to wet wade but the water is a bit too chilly when I need to wade deep because of my short legs. I leave them down except for the few occasions when I am wading deep.
The conversion is OK except the plastic piece used to attach the shoulder straps keeps coming undone. I replace mine with some parachute cord and that works OK by tying and untying a knot. Simms probably could have used velcro?
Let me know how you like yours. I hope to write a brief piece on the new features offered in waders. I recently have fished a couple pair with zippers as well. I do not recommend purchasing a pair. If you get a them you will never be able to live without a zipper again ;>)

Darrin.Deel
03-22-2009, 09:10 AM
haha. Sounds good craig. I will be mostly fishing the lower sac and feather and want the waist highs for my boat and then the chest highs for the trinity and yuba. thanks mn, i will let you know

bearcrawl
03-22-2009, 10:26 AM
I got a pair and I like em. I never used the top half so I just cut them off. I know the warranty is screwed but they make a nice pair of boat pants now. Did this before and after Simms made a pair of waist highs. I had a pair of of the old skool guide waist highs for about 10 years and they had patches on top of patches. I think waist highs are perfect for about 95% of my trout fishing. Specially fishing from a boat. Glad they brought them back although I wish they made them in the G3 or 4. Just my $.02