PDA

View Full Version : Another driftboat sunk on the Lower Sacramento

Seamus
03-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Another one at the 44 bridge construction. If you are unsure or new on the oars float below the bridge construction. These guy's are lucky no one was hurt.

Today was tough on the lower sac strong south wind 20+ mph made for difficult
fishing. Yesterday was beautiful ,sunny warm lot's of bugs and the trout were hungry 20+ fish in an afternoon float from posse to bonny.

http://www.redding.com/news/2009/mar/21/three-fishermen-rescued-sacramento-river-redding/

Fats
03-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Is 44 the Cyprus rd project? I went through that last year with a guide when the flows were low. He handled it well and made it look easy. I could definitely see how that could happen if you got out of position.

Darrin.Deel
03-21-2009, 07:29 PM
the paper said a canoe... do you know for sure it was a drift boat?

Fats
03-21-2009, 07:53 PM
the paper said a canoe... do you know for sure it was a drift boat?

Re-read the article... First paragraph says a driftboat was capsized. The initial report was a canoe.

Seamus
03-21-2009, 07:56 PM
I was already past the highway 44 bridge so I didn't witness it first hand, but all reports I heard from the traffic going up and down the river were that a driftboat went down. The Redding paper has changed it's story to say it was a driftboat. I will be going through there tomorrow it may still be wedged in there like that one boat was for more than a week. Keep your PFD's close at hand when going under the bridges as the flows go up this spring. That crazy boil under the 44 bridge may grab on to your boat and push it right into the pilings on the right hand side .

Be safe!
S

Darrin.Deel
03-21-2009, 08:06 PM
my bad...

I make passengers wear PFD's while going through those bridges. Looking dumb in a pfd is better to me than dying or being hoisted out of the sac via CHP.

...but that is just me....

bearcrawl
03-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Fats, they are 2 separate bridges. 44 is upstream of the Cypress project. Both can be a bit gnarly if your new to it. Cypress is "closed" to boat traffic above 7k. Some guys still run it, but you risk a ticket and its pretty harry when flows are that high.

Randy B
03-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Does anyone know when the construction is scheduled to be complete?

Darrin.Deel
03-23-2009, 08:53 AM
I heard 2011, but who really knows...