PDA

View Full Version : Water Conservation....

Darian
03-21-2009, 12:10 AM
After listening to the latest round of preaching about water conservation from various state and local agencies, I’m wondering what the real goal of this call for conservation is really about…. :confused:

On the surface, it’s unquestionable that conservation of water is desirable. However, when we look at how those who store, treat and distribute water handle it, it’s not obvious that they are making conservation efforts, themselves. :\\

For example, the Sacramento Municipal Water District receives water through an allocation from a combination of surface and groundwater supplies. The district then distributes water and asks us to conserve. The district enforces it’s rules through code enforcement procedures. A user found in violation can be fined for excessive or inappropriate use. :|

Apparently, due to conservation efforts by you and I, this district experiences an excess of water used and that received in any given period. :cool: The district sells this excess to any entity downstream that is connected to the federal/state water distribution system(s). :| The reason advanced for this is to maintain low rates for water users in the Sacramento area. :cool: Treated waste (grey) water is sold to users who can use it for irrigation of golf courses, etc., or released into the Sacramento River. :cool:

My question is this…. Isn’t this maximization of water use :question: :question: Since 100% of the allocation is either used or sold, no conservation has occurred. :-k If we, users, choose not to conserve, what’s the affect on the overall water supply :question: IMHO, not much. Water rates might rise but that’s about it. :|

Under CEQA, all developments must secure a water supply before approval is granted. :cool: So, as in the case of Sacramento, water allocations must have been expanded to cover the developments in north and south Sacramento (all of them seem to have enough water to fill a bunch of ponds in each development) and the water district still has enough treated, drinking water in excess of actual use to sell. Why are we really being asked to conserve :question: Of course, I understand the economic reasons…. I just don’t believe the request for conservation of water is for conservations sake…. :rolleyes:

This situation is happening statewide. Multiply what’s happening here by 58 counties and all of the municipalities, the water agencies, distributors, growers and ranchers and the size of the issue becomes apparent. :nod: In order to fill all of the allocations made either thru the feds or state, water has to be drawn from surface supplies or pumped from groundwater supplies. Doesn’t leave much water for stream born life. :sad: