PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Used Vice

jcanger
03-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi All,

I'm just getting into tying flies and am looking for a used vice suitable for a beginner. If anyone has an old/extra rotary vice just collecting dust, please PM me with price, etc.

Thanks,

jcanger

Darrin.Deel
03-21-2009, 07:47 AM
the problem with used vices is that the jaws become weak after use. Make sure to test before you buy...

SHigSpeed
03-21-2009, 08:25 AM
I used to spin in circles while doing smack, but that was my only rotary "vice".

<LOL>

I right there with you though. I have a cheap Cabela's special vise that works fine, but isn't the best for the job.

Good luck, if anyone has one for me as well, pipe up!

_SHig

Rich Leonetti
03-21-2009, 08:46 AM
I have got a regal its barley used it has the c clamp I paid 125 for it I think ... would let it go for 75. It really is like brand new

Hairstacker
03-21-2009, 09:35 AM
the problem with used vices is that the jaws become weak after use. Make sure to test before you buy...

That may be true of some of the cheap imports from India but this will generally not hold true for the premium brand name vises like HMH, Regal, Dynaking, etc. -- their jaws are intended to support a lifetime of use.

For example, that Regal Oldtroutbelly is selling will probably outlast all of us as long as you're careful to clamp hooks in it properly.

David Lee
03-21-2009, 09:51 AM
When I started (long about '94 or thereabouts) I had a Thompson , the uber-cheap one below the A model....... I lost count of the # of flies I did on that one . Cost me $35.00 from the Bass Pond fly shop .....

It would have outlasted me had I not stupidly given it away .

The 'low end' gear from Thompson or Griffin will do ya well .

David

Hairstacker
03-21-2009, 10:00 AM
It would have outlasted me had I not stupidly given it away .

Well, hopefully whoever you gave it to is still tying flies on it and putting it to good use. I have heard of folks who are still using their Thompsons after literally decades of use.

SHigSpeed
03-21-2009, 10:32 AM
I have got a regal its barley used it has the c clamp I paid 125 for it I think ... would let it go for 75. It really is like brand new

If the Regal is a rotary and the OP doesn't buy it I may be interested.

_SHig

jcanger
03-21-2009, 10:50 AM
OldTroutBelly, thanks for the offer on the Regal vice. However, I am in the market for a rotary vice (not smack, SHigSpeed). But thanks again.

I think I am going to go with a Danvise. Looks like a sturdy (even if made of steel and plastic) entry-level model with most bells and whistles. Plus I found one on sale about $70. Does anyone have any experience and/or familiarity with the Danvise?

BTW, thanks others who jumped in on this thread - your comments/thoughts are very helpful. I appreciate it. Keep them coming! :)

Hairstacker
03-21-2009, 11:53 AM
jcanger, I recommend you check out the comments in this thread -- quite a few who've owned Danvises have piped in:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=4319

My impression is that they may not last as long as many of the others. On the other hand, it's only $70. . . .

jcanger
03-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks Mike. I read that thread and began to appreciate how personal the choice of a vice really is. And it seems that the vice manufacturers have released models to accommodate many of the personal styles. In the end, it seems that there is no <$100 vice that does it all. So, I've narrowed it down to the Danvise or an entry-level HMH (the Siloutte SX, I think its called). If you (or anyone else) has a free minute, please let me know what you think of my choices.

Also, as I am a beginner, I'm in the market for a fly tying tool set. I was looking at Dr. Slick's Fly Tyer Tool Set, which includes the essentials for about $45. What do we think about Dr. Slick's fly tying tools? As a beginner, do I need anything more than the essentials?

Thanks again guys,

Jason

David Lee
03-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Also, as I am a beginner, I'm in the market for a fly tying tool set. I was looking at Dr. Slick's Fly Tyer Tool Set, which includes the essentials for about $45. What do we think about Dr. Slick's fly tying tools?

I'll likely be in the minority here .....

The only Dr. Slick thing I've bought has been the Hair Scissors . Around $20.00

I hate them . They sucked from day one . Everyone else I know that tyes likes that brand , so take this however you will . Since I've only used one item ..... I'm not sure how the rest of their stuff is .

I usualy use Anvil Ice scissors , and cheap ol' Fiskar . The Fiskar scissors are really good , and cost less than $10.00 .

Tools I use are -

Scissors
Hair Stacker
Dubbing-loop tool
bodkin
Velcro
Double-edged razors
1/4 inch-wide paddle
Plastic and metal combs
Bobbins
tube from a ball-point Pen (for packing Deer Hair , most of the time I use my fingers , though ....)

Believe it or not .... that's ALL . I'd imagine that a hackle-plier could come in handy , but I never used one . Same w/ a Whip Finisher .

Hope this helps -

David

Hairstacker
03-21-2009, 03:31 PM
The base model HMH is the Silhouette with a fixed head angle and fixed Omni jaws (which are outstanding by the way). The next model up is the Silhouette SX, which adds the ability to switch out the Omni standard jaws with either midge or saltwater jaws. They simply screw in and out and the HMH midge jaws are widely considered among the best, if not THE best, in the industry for tying tiny flies. From there, you move up to the Spartan, which adds the ability to adjust the head angle. And then, finally, the Standard Bench, which is basically just a bigger, heavier-duty version of the Spartan.

As to which to buy between the Danvise and the Silhouette, I would choose the HMH myself but I'm biased because I tie on an HMH Standard Bench vise and have been very happy with it --a very high quality, finely machined vise that will no doubt out-live me.

The Dr. Slick tool set does come with just about everything you need to get started, if you choose to go with it. Like vises, you will find that tyers also have strong personal preferences regarding tools. :lol: For example, I like a different kind of hair stacker than the one in the kit but I could live with the one in the kit if I had to. In any case, in addition to the tools in this kit, I would also at minimum get a hackle gauge and a dubbing-loop tool.

Other tools I use regularly include a couple of fine combs, double-edged razor blades, and a Brassie tool for packing deer hair. Hemostats are also kind of handy for grabbing and looking at smaller flies.

Hairstacker
03-21-2009, 04:53 PM
By the way, if you haven't seen it, here is a vise shootout on the Fly Fisherman Magazine website:

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index25.html

The review was done by Hans Weilenmann, who is a very well-respected fly tyer.

jcanger
03-21-2009, 05:02 PM
I did find that article. It's a good resource/review of a lot of the vices currently on the market.

Thanks again

Hairstacker
03-21-2009, 10:15 PM
You're welcome. :) Hope you end up finding everything you're looking for. It's a great time to get into fly tying, as there is so much good stuff readily available nowadays. While you're at it, stop in at Kiene's and take a good look around -- they have one of the best selections of quality tying stuff anywhere and routinely carry items that are difficult to find anywhere else.

jcanger
03-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Will do Mike. I agree - getting into fly tying has been exciting so far. Hope it continues. Thanks again for your help and advice.

jburge
03-22-2009, 12:34 PM
jcanger, I can give you my experience as a beginning tyer. I just took John Daniels' class at Kiene's in Jan, and have probably tied over 400 flies (lots, and lots of practice ;-)). I know you said you wanted a rotary vice, but for what it's worth, I bought the Montana Pro II Kit from Griffin and am quite pleased:

http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/vises.html

Got all the tools I needed, and could start tying right away. I was told that as a beginner I really didn't need a rotary, so that's up to you. I'm sure there are LOTS of opinions. All I can say is I've participated in 3 swaps (just joined my 4th), have done TONS of practice tying and I'm happy. I think maybe after I get a year or so of aggressive tying under my belt, I'll get a rotary, but hey, I just want to catch fish right now ;-)

John

luvtocatchem
03-22-2009, 12:50 PM
im still pretty new to the whole fly tying thing,but i use a Odyssey Cam Vise. works great for me.i started tying trout flies and got bored with it,so i switch to striper and shad flies,along with some bucktail jigs. this vise has done everything i asked of it.from 1oz jigs to wd40's. just my .02