PDA

View Full Version : April Beginning Fly Class at Kiene's

JD
03-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Beginning Fly Tying Class

Class dates: Wednesday, April 1, 8, 15 & 22, 6:00pm - 9:00pm
Instructor: John Daniels

This will be the last chance to learn to tie at Kiene's before trout season begins!

Learning to tie flies is both fun and easy. Learning to tie will open up whole new vistas to you as a fly fisher, by demystifying fly patterns and their use, as well as granting you access to unique patterns that are not readily available in the shop bins. By the end of the first class, you will complete your first fly. Each class is designed to build on the lessons learned in the previous session, so by the end of the 4 sessions you will have covered all of the basics of tying flies.

The class will include discussions of materials, tools, entomology and patterns. Nymphs an dry flies will be tied, starting with the venerable Woolly Bugger and finishing with the ever effective Parachute Adams. Attendees must supply their own tools (see list below) and thread, but all other materials will be provided by the instructor. And note, Bill Kiene offers a 10% discount at the shop to everyone taking this class.

The class is $75 to attend and is limited to a maximum of six students. If interested, drop me an email (jedaniels@ucdavis.edu).

Required tools list: fly tying vise, bobbin, scissors, half-hitch tool and/or whip finisher, hair stacker, hackle pliers, and 6/0 black thread.

rtb215
03-21-2009, 03:07 PM
John is an excellent instructor with some humor and a lot of instruction. I still learn a thing or two every year.
This class is well worth attending and you will learn just about everything you kneed to know. The rest will be up to you.

R T Bettati

flounder
03-22-2009, 10:33 AM
I took this class from John back a couple of months ago. Learned a lot and other than a slight incidence of tying my fingers together putting together an elk hair caddis, relatively hazard free. Well worth the price of admission.

JD
03-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Last call for the April beginner's class! There are currently 3 students signed up so the class is a "go" but that leaves room for a few more so if your interested in learning to tie, drop me a line.