PDA

View Full Version : Wherever there are fish, that's where I must go...

bonneville54
03-19-2009, 07:01 AM
From today's Wall Street Journal....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123742286341478873.html

Mrs.Finsallaround
03-19-2009, 09:04 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... So, if you're not fishing for trout or in clean water, you're a "brownliner"??? That just sounds like we're presumed as "less than" or we're "slummin'" it... That term just doesn't sit well with me. :confused: :???:

I'd like to see a trout fly-fisherman try to cast an 8wt with 33ft of T-11 90 ft in 20 mph wind.... =;

Not to say I'm better than anyone else (I'm the last one that would say that!), but I'd like to think I can hold my own! 8-)

One thing I do agree with though is that the water doesn't have to be clear for it to be worthy of fly-fishing.... ;)

I LOVE the Delta!

Hairstacker
03-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Robin,

I love the Delta too! As you would say, GO TEAM BASS!! :lol:

Rodney D.
03-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Hey Ms. Fins,
Better a brown liner than a brown noser! Remember what Muddy "Mississippi" Waters said, "My home is in the Delta!"

bonneville54
03-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Golly, I didn't think the article was anti-delta or anti anything for that matter. I get that was a story about those who choose to fish in less than pristine water....irrigation canals, below sewer plants, garbage strewn canals.....places where only a few hardy species can survive.

Brownlining referred to the color of the water, I would guess. In any case, I thought a testament, so to speak, to those whose passion for fishing takes them to places where most of us would not go. An interesting cultural subset of our beloved sport, if you will.

Not my cup of tea, that's for sure.

Mrs.Finsallaround
03-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Oh, I agree with where they are going to fish.... I, too, figure, where there's water, there must be fish.

I just didn't particularly care for the term they came up with to describe those who fish in those less pristine waters.... Or, that they are less pristine...

Beauty is, after all, in the eye of the beholder...

Ed Wahl
03-19-2009, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=Mrs.Finsallaround;58116]
I'd like to see a trout fly-fisherman try to cast an 8wt with 33ft of T-11 90 ft in 20 mph wind.... =;[/QUOTE

Robin, I'll take that challenge. When can we go? ;)

In return, I'd like to see a striper fisherman,(or fisher woman) cast a 3 wt with a floating line and 8 ft leader 10 feet in 20 mph wind, between bushes, on his/her belly, all to catch a 7 inch Brookie.:):p

I don't care for the term "brown lining" either, it does seem a bit derogatory.
Although for many of the warm, smelly, local places I fish it's pretty apt.

Ed

caltagm
03-20-2009, 07:06 AM
Heck, I think the Delta is probably way too "pristine" to be considered "brownlining". It doesn't even come close (not enough mercury!). And anyone who's is fishing in areas signed for high mercury content deserves any idiotic moniker thrown at them. That's just dumb.

Mrs.Finsallaround
03-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Robin, I'll take that challenge. When can we go? ;)

In return, I'd like to see a striper fisherman,(or fisher woman) cast a 3 wt with a floating line and 8 ft leader 10 feet in 20 mph wind, between bushes, on his/her belly, all to catch a 7 inch Brookie.:):p

HEE HEE... Ed, I'll be the FIRST to admit that I probably couldn't cast the 3wt 10 ft in 20 mph wind.... I can't cast that 5 wt at the Kiene's expo in 10 mph wind... LMAO.

But, definitely a good point... sometimes I can be pretty narrow minded... :o

Although, I have to say that a 7" brookie does not excite me the way any top-water striper does! \\:D/

Darrin.Deel
03-20-2009, 09:47 AM
that actually looks like alot of fun.

jbird
03-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Heck, I think the Delta is probably way too "pristine" to be considered "brownlining". It doesn't even come close (not enough mercury!). And anyone who's is fishing in areas signed for high mercury content deserves any idiotic moniker thrown at them. That's just dumb.

There are several trophy trout lakes in oregon with high mercury content. There are warnings in the synopsis about consuming fish from these waters. however, the lakes are pristine. Its a geothermal condition.