PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon Fishing on American

solo
03-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Hi, I have a very basic question, but, for the life of me, I haven't been able to figure it out.
I am thinking of purchasing a 9' pontoon to fish Lower American river. If I want to float solo from let's say Sunrise, what's the best way to float down the river and come back to where I started?

For those who float the river using Pontoon, how do you guys float down the river and get back to the parking lot? Or do you have someone else come and pick you up? I can't imagine rowing back upstream with the Pontoon on a river like American.

Please share your experience float fishing on a river similar to American.

Ted

nightgoat
03-18-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm fortunate enough that my girlfriend will drop me off at the launch and pick me up at the takeout. You definitely don't want to try to row back if you float any decent distant (like more than one access).

I think Joe @ Kienes used to do shuttles. I'm not sure if he still does or how much he charges. I'm sure a call to the Shop would provide the correct info.

It is possible to put in and row back at certain spots. Some of my striper trips consist of putting in at Watt, fish down almost to Howe and row back up. It is A LOT of rowing! Last summer I registered the 'toon and put a trolling motor on the back to speed the upstream part. It sure beats the rowing. ;)

PS - Welcome to the board!

Joe

Darrin.Deel
03-18-2009, 08:54 PM
well... the good thing about the american is that it is in a town. not like anywhere I fish. Call taxi companies and see how much they will be. throw a bike lock in your gear and lock your pontoon to a tree. go get your truck at the put in and go get your pontoon.

solo
03-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks, guys.
That makes sense. I will certainly ask guys at Kiene to see if they do shuttle. If not, taxi option might work. I will have to drive a couple of hours from San Jose, so want to make sure these options are available.

It seems that pontoon is a great way to cover lots of water. Greatly look forward to pontoon fishing on American.

Ted

solo
03-19-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm fortunate enough that my girlfriend will drop me off at the launch and pick me up at the takeout. You definitely don't want to try to row back if you float any decent distant (like more than one access).

I think Joe @ Kienes used to do shuttles. I'm not sure if he still does or how much he charges. I'm sure a call to the Shop would provide the correct info.

It is possible to put in and row back at certain spots. Some of my striper trips consist of putting in at Watt, fish down almost to Howe and row back up. It is A LOT of rowing! Last summer I registered the 'toon and put a trolling motor on the back to speed the upstream part. It sure beats the rowing. ;)

PS - Welcome to the board!

Joe

BTW, Joe, I could ask my wife to come to Sacramento with me, drop me off at Sunrise, pick me up at the end of the day. But, I want to save my marriage. :-) Thanks for the welcome.

Scott V
03-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Another idea would be to see if anyone from the board would want to float with you and then you can have 2 vehicles so you can shuttle. Depending on when you plan on doing it, I would be down for a float on the American.

solo
03-19-2009, 08:27 AM
Fantastic idea, Scott. I will make sure to ask you once I get the boat. I think my SUV could take two pontoon, one on the top, one in the trunk. :-)

I can't hardly wait.

Ted

Scott V
03-19-2009, 09:14 AM
I have a Ford F-250 with an 8' bed, so either way we will be covered. Just drop me a pm sometime.

Phil Synhorst
03-19-2009, 06:38 PM
The couple of times I've seen guys tooning on the A it's been pairs. So I always assumed they were using the buddy system with two vehicles.

erhetta
04-13-2009, 09:03 AM
First post back from hibernation....

Saw this and will throw my name in the hat too. I live right by Ancil, so I am also always down to do a float. My jeep Cherokee can fit a toon deflated inside and another on top with straps for a short distance between launches.

PM me if you are heading out and if I can't float with ya, I might be available and willing to come shuttle ya.