PDA

View Full Version : Jay Murakoshi's La Paz trip......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-17-2009, 09:39 PM
I get to go this year....finally.

http://www.vimeo.com/3728905

Tony Buzolich
03-18-2009, 11:28 AM
For you guys who have never been there before this is great photography and a very realistic view of what to expect. You might even get Darian to chime in about standing on the bow of the panga and taking roosters but note that Renee was the one holding the wahoo.

I'm taking my group down in early July this year with the hope of getting more dorado and yellowfin tuna and the heat of later season is never too bad out on the water. Last year we were there the first week of July and take a look:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/_MG_5373upload.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/_MG_5283upload.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/_MG_5411upload.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/_MG_5302upload.jpg

Besides the usual black skipjack and jack crevelle we also got in to pargo, African pompano, lots of dorado, even a late season yellowtail. Anyone going on one of Jay's trip will have the time of their life.

David Lee
03-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Nice clips !!!

Several great examples of how to break your rod high-sticking , the guy in the straw hat on the Skippy has it right - LOW angles .

Poor Darian ..... getting beat-up by a Jack ! LOLOLOL ...... they sure are tough !!

Thanks for posting !

David

Darian
03-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Que Paso....???? They don't call Jacks Toro por nada!!!! The one in the clip circled the panga about 6 times before I could get it near enough to release and didn't go much beyond 12 pounds (if that much).... :wink: :fish2:

David Lee
03-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Horrible ol' critters , fo sho !

My best J.C. couldn't have been over 5 - quite the handful off the beach w/ an 8 wt. . Pompano are almost as bad .......

I still think the worst offenders are the little Green Jacks . Pound for pound on a 7 wt. , you'd think you had hooked the DEVIL . I'm sorry I missed them on the last trip .

D. -

jbird
03-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Heres a 30# "devil" that didnt get away.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC04360.jpg

David Lee
03-18-2009, 01:47 PM
BIIIIIIG Jack !!

You didn't use your 5 wt. on that one , did you Jay ?

NYUKNYUKNYUK !

David

jbird
03-18-2009, 02:44 PM
I think I had my 10wt at the time. This fish actually didnt take that long. I had a big wad in my flyline that miraculously made it thru the guides on the initialy run. ( if you look close you can see the tangled loops on my reel). I was trying to pick the knot out when the fish hit! Once I got that tangle back in and on the reel, I never let him take anymore line. I just pointed straight at him and pulled like crazy with the drag locked down. I dont think he took 10 minutes.

I love those things! They are great gamefish...their especially fun off the beach!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC04351.jpg

Darian
03-18-2009, 02:49 PM
I seem to be the king of Jack's. I can be standing in the bow of a panga with Roosters blasting chum all around. When I cast, a Jack will race over and take the fly.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotta admit even tho I'm always looking for something else, I sure do enjoy 'em. :D :D

Jay Murakoshi
03-18-2009, 02:53 PM
I think it was two years ago when Jim Christensen and Keith Nelson were boat partners. We had a school of BIG jacks just busting the surface. Jim hooked one that had to run 190+ yds and then we thought he lost it. The line went slack and he started reeling back in the line. Just then the school swam under the boat and headed south. Well too make a long story short, Jim's line took off again. The fish had turned and followed the school.
The JC probably was in the mid 30's.

My biggest fish to date:

Rooster 75 +
Dorado 58lbs
Sail 94lbs
YT 28lbs
YFT 39lbs

I'm shooting for a 100 pound PEZ GALLO maybe on a 10 wt.

See you in April at the Fly Fishing Fair

Jay

David Lee
03-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Jbird -

Good call on the reel lock-up !! Nice one off the beach , also .

Darian -

There are worse kinds of luck - I'll bet you WISH J.C. were around HERE in the Winter !!

JM -

Those are some fine personal records !

David

gene goss
03-22-2009, 08:02 AM
The opening picture of the baja video looks like a picture of me and Jim.....BUT....can't seem to get the video to play......any ideals???????

Darian
03-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Gene,.... I just tried the video and it ran for me. Maybe Jay was working on it. :confused: Try again and see it it works. :)

gene goss
03-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Hi Darian I just tryed it again and it still didn't open....i can open other videos on the message board but not that one.????????

FISHEYE
03-22-2009, 11:33 AM
I watched it last night- no problem. My buddy and I are making the trip down to fish with Jay the 1st week in May before our king salmon season starts. This looks like an incredible blast and I hope we catch a few fish.

Darian
03-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Gene,.... If you haven't solved the problem, yet, try the Vimeo Help function. I've been reading about several people being unable to display videos. One idea mentioned was to upgrade your browser and "flash"( :?: :confused: ).

Good luck.... :)

Jay Murakoshi
03-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Gene,

I just ran the video and didn't have any problems. I think this was the day that Jim was sorta green around the gills, boy it sure looks like it.

I'll be having more videos from the 2009 trips later this year. I'll be shooting video everyday and down loading the clips into my 1Tb external HD. I will also be editing while I'm there

Just a few more weeks to go then I'll be in heaven or is it called La Paz. Can't wait
The tile in the bathrooms is almost completed, the yard is planted and the roosters are crowwwwwwing.

A few more spaces left in the May trips. Check out my site for available dates

Jay

Scott V
03-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Exactly 2 months from today I will be drinking margaritas with Bill and a host of new friends listening to Jay telling me how to fight and land some of these beauties of the deep blue. I can not wait, I am so bloody excited. So far I have only watched the video a half a dozen times. I plan on burning it onto a dvd soi I can watch it on my tv.

Jay Murakoshi
03-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Hopefully by the time I get down there, the YT will still be around. There are some 35 to 40lb YT right off Muertos Bay around Punta Perico. They are shallow.
Now this fish will definitely put your tackle to the test. I hooked a big one last year at the same time and 150 yds of line was off in a "heart beat". The great thing about it, was that we saw the fish eat right at the boat in 25 feet of water. We think a needle fish bit through the line

Can't wait, I'm starting to pack. But I'll unpack and repack at least 5 times before I leave and I know for sure that I'll forget something

Jay

Just picked up two more big spools of Berkeley Big Game Mono. Not the Big Game Trilene

Scott V
03-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Just picked up two more big spools of Berkeley Big Game Mono. Not the Big Game Trilene

Sweet, I'll see you at Kiene's fair. Let me know if you need anyone to bring in more film to Mexico.