PDA

View Full Version : It's Spring Time

Tony P
03-16-2009, 09:41 PM
I took my eight year old son (Sage) out yesterday to see if the White Bass were making their annual run up river to spawn. To make a long story short, we slammed them & it was non stop action until we finally called it a day.

Tony P

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x23/tony93908/IMG_2422.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x23/tony93908/IMG_2424.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x23/tony93908/IMG_2433.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x23/tony93908/IMG_2428.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x23/tony93908/IMG_2429.jpg

roostersgt
03-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Wow! The lil feller sure put a big bend in that rod! He's up on his toes in one pic. Nice trip and pics. Are those wipers?

Steve

Tony P
03-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Wow! The lil feller sure put a big bend in that rod! He's up on his toes in one pic. Nice trip and pics. Are those wipers?

Steve

He's not afraid to put the heat on them! Those are White Bass not Wipers.

Darian
03-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Tony,.... Great pic's. Love the smile on that young man's face. :D :D Wonderful what fish can do for people, isn't it.... :?: :?: :?:

Charlie Gonzales
03-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Oh no, the refuge gang is spillin over into the kienes forum. Tony give me a call some time.

Tony P
03-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Oh no, the refuge gang is spillin over into the kienes forum. Tony give me a call some time.

Charlie,

As you know it's hard juggling our two passions (Hunting & Fishing) especially when they overlap. We'll have to try & hook up sometime.

Tony P

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks Tony.....................good looking little guy.

We have 5 grandkids so we better get them out there too.

k.hanley
03-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Boy-o-boy Sage is getting it done! Nice going Dad. Looking forward to seeing you guys soon.
Cheers, Kenny

mar
03-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Awesome pics! Really like the bent rod shots! Hopefully I'll get my boys into some bigger fish this year. Thanks for sharing!

Phil Synhorst
03-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Awesome pics Tony!!! Those are some chunky Whites your son is showing off.=D>
Pardon my ignorance, is the third fish a Spot?

Hairstacker
03-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Great stuff Tony! Your son looks like a seasoned fisherman, good for him. :D

Tony P
03-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Awesome pics Tony!!! Those are some chunky Whites your son is showing off.=D>
Pardon my ignorance, is the third fish a Spot?

Yep that would be a spot. Sage wanted to catch one before we left so I pulled up on a break that was loaded with them & caught 5 in 5 casts then Sage said lets go so we left them biting. We weren't even out of the parking lot when I looked in the rearview mirror only to see Sage already sleeping.

Jay Murakoshi
03-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Great looking fish. I gotta get back over the hill and hit both Naci and San Antonio. The carp at SA should be heading to the shallows

I don't blame Sage, I would of been asleep before the ranger check house :-) I remember some of those long fishing days, especially the day we hit them in Los Tablas - ya remember that.

Talk to you later

Jay

Tony P
03-19-2009, 06:40 AM
Great looking fish. I gotta get back over the hill and hit both Naci and San Antonio. The carp at SA should be heading to the shallows

I don't blame Sage, I would of been asleep before the ranger check house :-) I remember some of those long fishing days, especially the day we hit them in Los Tablas - ya remember that.

Talk to you later

Jay

Oh yeah I remember that day! It's still early for the SA carp. May is when it get's really good & we'll have to get after them when it happens.

Tony

Steve Cali
03-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Tony,

That was a great post...

I've made quite a few trips down there as well this year with Dave Sellers (it's our yearly right of passage so to speak...It's the type of fishing that welcomes the spring time arrival...) and this past Tuesday I brought my 9 year old son, Canyon, to experience the action. Needless to say he is hooked and what a great fishery to introduce your son to...Good on you for taking your son!

My problem now is that my son keeps asking when we can go back... which is a problem I welcome any day!

Also, it seems this year the amount of females to males is about 5 to 1 or so...and the females are huge...2.5 to 3 plus pounds.

I'll be back again next week...

Steve Cali

lee s.
03-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Was going to tie some bugs tonight, but I'm sure everything would turn out GREEN! GREAT thread you'se guys.
....lee s.

Tony P
03-20-2009, 06:50 AM
Good on you for taking your son!

My son & daughter are with me most of the time when I get fishing or hunting. Jay was my use to be my co-pilot for most trips but the kids just don't seem to leave much room for him or anyone else these days. I'll definitely have to get my kamikaze co-pilot (Jay) back out with me few times this year.

Tony P

Jay Murakoshi
03-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Tony,

send me an email and let's set it up

Jay

Tony P
03-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Tony,

send me an email and let's set it up

Jay

Email? You know my number just give me a call. I'm hooking up the boat right now! A buddy of mine called & has a place on the water at the Delta for the weekend so I'm doing that last minute thing trying to get everything together for rain, wind, & sun. I let you know what happens come Monday.

Tony P

k.hanley
03-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Say hey Steve,
That's a cool shot of Canyon. Can't get any better than that big smile!!!!!!!
Cheers, Ken

Steve Cali
03-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Ken,

That big smile keeps me going every day!

by the way...check your email...

Tony,

I know you and Jay were wing men...You remember Hog Island, San Luis Res, man-o-man (Ken Hanley Slang) I miss that time on the lake. It's never been the same since then, but things are changing finally and recovering for a new generation of Moe bass. It's amazing what a few newspaper reports can do to a fishery...from a half a dozen boats a day to over 150 boats...geeze....

Sage was a sleep in the parking lot...lol...Canyon was a sleep by the time we past the Ranger Station check out and hit the Dam...Next time I wont wake him up at 4:00 a.m. to head to the lake...He fished the entire day...so, I can't blame him one bit...

...and yes you need to get Jay (my fly tying hero / mentor) back out with you.

Steve Cali

Jay Murakoshi
03-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Hey Steve,

I think about "Hog Island" at least once a week. I don't think we'll every see a fishing day like that again. I remember one morning when Tony and I headed for the island, right after he dropped the trolling motor in the water, his first cast - FISH ON. I made a cast right at the rocks.. Fish On. Then a boat was going by real slow and trying to keep the rod from bending and bucking was pretty tough.
What was more amazing was one day Tony pulled out the AquaView underwater camera and while he was watching the fish finder, he told me I should be seeing some fish. Then all of a sudden I saw big silver scales and then a mouth. I think if the camera had been smaller, the striper would of eaten the camera.

Speaking of cameras, I'll be posting a photo of my new toy I just. It's an underwater camera that's 5 mega pixels, shoots 170 degree view and can go down to 100'. I'm now rigging it up so I can use it on push pole down 10'.
This camera would be good for your surfing. It has a mount for the front of the surfboard or a helmet cam. I told Ken I'd get a "long board" and we could photograph him "Tubed" or going over the falls :-)

Jay

Tony P
03-23-2009, 06:46 AM
You remember Hog Island,

That year at Hog Island will forever be burned in my brain! I'll never forget one afternoon I was sitting here at work on a slow day when I told my partner that I was taking the rest of the day off (That's a rare thing for me to do.). It was September, full moon, & about 110 degrees out. I called Jay & told him I'm coming by to pick him up in ten minutes, I also told him that these we're less than ideal conditions but we can't control that. We launched the boat a 1:00pm pulled up to hog island & proceeded to have the most amazing day I have ever had stripper fishing. All the fish were over 10 pounds & I really can't tell you how many we caught. I caught so many fish on this one fly Jay clipped it of my rod & made me use another one. I fought him on that but he won & later that week he hands me a shadow box with that fly & a picture of me holding one of the bigger Stripers form that day. We made one major and almost costly mistake that day. We were so amped up about going fishing that we forgot to bring water with us & ended up getting dehydrated so we stopped at Casa de Fruita on the way home feeling kind of nauseated & light headed only to sit there drinking fluids for at least two hours.

Tony P

Jay Murakoshi
03-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Tony P,

Remember those guys who were fishing on the bank and sitting on a ice chest full of beer and cokes. We were going to MUG them just for some liquid. HELL, I would of even drank a beer that day.

We even have a rocky point on HOG ISLAND named "Cali Rock"

Those were the days

Jay

Tony P
03-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Tony P,

Remember those guys who were fishing on the bank and sitting on a ice chest full of beer and cokes. We were going to MUG them just for some liquid. HELL, I would of even drank a beer that day.

Those guys were real? I thought they were a mirage! I tell you one thing ever since that day every time I get back from fishing the first thing I do is load the ice chest in the boat with water so there is no way to ever forget it again.

Tony P

Jay Murakoshi
03-23-2009, 10:32 PM
What about the Snickers :-)

Jay

Tony P
03-24-2009, 05:58 AM
King Size!!!!!! :D