PDA

View Full Version : Bassin' Berryessa....

Darian
03-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Was invited to accompany a bunch of Bass guys (CBAF) in a tourney at Berryessa yesterday. 8-) Weather was windy/c-c-c-cold in the AM. Wind laid down, the sun came out in the afternoon and the water warmed from 49 to 53 degrees. The group caught lots of limits of Largemouth, Smallies and Spots, plus one large Crappie that thought it was a Bass. :nod: Everything was caught on jigs/worms. Saw many Trout jumping everywhere we went. 8-)

The group launched 21 boats/2 person teams at Markeley Cove. The lake is not crowded and in good condition. Water has around 6' visibility. 8-)

If you have a boat, the area on the east side of Berryessa has extensive flats/shallows intersected by creek channels and should be red hot with a week of warm weather. That land surrounding that part of the lake is private, without access other than by boat. Too far to reach by tubes or 'toon's. :-|

Sure was fun blastin' around the lake at 65-70 MPH without having to worry about running into anyone.... :lol: :lol:

Scott V
03-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Berryessa was one of my favorite lakes to fish when I did bass tournaments. Some of my faovrite spots were on the east side up near the north shore.

Hairstacker
03-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Between now and end of April is a great time to check out Berryessa -- trout will be cruising in large pods in various coves and willing to hit dries and bass will be in the shallows. Fish something low and slow across rocks and you stand a good chance of hooking up on a very nice smallie. Taught myself how to flyfish on that lake.

Darian
03-20-2009, 09:08 AM
MIke,.... Were you fishing out of your Yak :?: :?: IMHO, the best part of the lake for fly fishing would be the east shore. Shallow, slanting into deeper water with creek channels entering at intervals. :nod:

Only problem is the east shore is private land. :| Rowing would be a real time killer, let alone a major chore. :confused:

Hairstacker
03-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Darian, no, this was over 25 years ago. At that time, I hadn't even conceived of the idea of fishing out of an inflatable kayak. I usually fished it from shore on the west side north of Spanish Flat.

That is a huge lake -- I can't imagine trying to paddle to the east side. By the time you got there, it would be time for a nap. :lol:

Darian
03-20-2009, 01:36 PM
If you're shorebound, Markeley Cove near the marina would be hard to beat. Lotsa docks and shoreline cover.... Lots of other coves in proximity and looks like great Crappie water. Black Bass are released by the tourney guys right there, also. :D Altho, I didn't see Trout in pods, they were breaking the surface all around. :D

Drag some jigs or worms around for bass until the water warms. Then start fishing higher in the water column. :cool: :cool: Crappie jigs or flies should be hot, now. :D