PDA

View Full Version : Tying flies on a plane?

loganmike
03-14-2009, 10:03 PM
SO, in 9 days I am flying to Ohio to fish the great lake rivers for steelhead with my brother for our annual trip. I managed to snag a great fly tying travel kit at the FFS!

SO, my question is, are scissors allowed on the planes? OR is there an alternative to having them to tie with, such as very good clippers?

ANyone have experience, know how, or experience?

With many free drink tickets on Southwest, what better way to wash the Makers Mark down??

me

Phil Synhorst
03-14-2009, 10:19 PM
You may be ok. As long as you're not wearing a Kufi, and holding a copy of the Qur'an. You might be able to forgo the full cavity search.:eek:

Tony Buzolich
03-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Ya, I know, you're only going to cut thread, not the stewardess' throat. But the security gate people don't know that and they're not taking any chances.

ANYTHING pointed is restricted and that will include your hooks, bodkins, files, knippers, etc., etc., and yes scissors too.

Check them in your luggage and you'll have no problem. People seem to have forgotten what happened on Sept.11th, 2001.

It's annoying for the honest guy but TSA can check everything and anything they want when I get on any plane. The sad part is I think some foreign security is better than our own.

Several times when returning from Mexico I've been asked to remove something that they didn't like. Once, coming back from Zihuatanejo, I was told that my reels couldn't have line on them because the line could be used for a garrote. Ughhh, creepy thought, huh?

caltagm
03-15-2009, 04:51 AM
Fishing Rods / Poles - Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage.

Tackle Equipment - Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.

Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades longer than four inches (Not allowed in carry-on)

jbird
03-15-2009, 08:10 AM
You may be ok. As long as you're not wearing a Kufi, and holding a copy of the Qur'an. You might be able to forgo the full cavity search.:eek:

Actually, Ive noticed the opposite to be true. They always search the frail old ladies and little kids. Dont wanna be guilty of racial profiling.

I dont think fly tying equipment would be permisible in the cabin. It wouldnt be worth losing it to security. Flying is a great opportunity to practice knots tho. Bring a spool of mono and some clippers. Getting REALLY good at tying a few knots is priceless.

huntindog
03-15-2009, 08:15 AM
i had finger nail clippers taken from me.....don't try and get your fly tying stuff on, it will be taken from you

Fats
03-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Right after 9/11 I had a moodus knot tying tool and a set of forceps taken from me... I had it in my carry on luggage.

The days of whipping up flies on the plane are over I'm afraid... I wouldn't chance it to have your whole kit snatched...

Nick B
03-15-2009, 09:30 AM
I would seriously check on it. I have been able to take my flies on board SWA flights, as well as all sorts of neat stuff, (including an empty bullet key chain that I forgot about). Then I am a scrawny, long haired college kid who doesn't look like the type to take over a plane. I have never tried tying flies on a plane, but check the banned items lists... you might need some modifications to your usual assortment.

David Lee
03-15-2009, 09:55 AM
I wouldn't try it .

Tony mentioned fly lines not being allowed - I wonder why they don't look at shoelaces the same way ?????

I'm pretty sure no one will ever forget 9/11 , but I really doubt anything like that will ever happen here again - a plane full of pissed-off people would beat somebody to death these days , rather than crash (better odds of survival , IMO) .

I check everything in baggage . TSA has thankfully failed to destroy my gear up to now . It still feels like dealing with the gestapo , though .......

David

Mike O
03-16-2009, 11:36 AM
before listening to the way it used-to-be...read up!

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

GeorgeRevel
03-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Yes sir!!! I have tied on a plane with in the last six months. Leave your scissors at home and bring Standard nippers. Use zap a gap in the .5 oz bottle (looks Like eye drops...but don't use as!!!). It can still be done!!! I will get a picture up of my airline friendly tying kit.
George