PDA

View Full Version : Camp Far West , Friday 13th -

David Lee
03-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Hit it w/ Sturmer around 1:00 , fished 'till 6:00 .

Water is cold , stained with suspended dirt , visibilty 3 feet .

Four lovely Spotted Bass (3 were 12 inches , 1 was 13 3/4inches) , all on the 8 Wt. Craw and I line . Depth 5-12 feet .

In what will likely be my first dumbassed move of 2009 ..... I left my force fins on the porch - tubing w/ no fins is like running in place . I do not recomend it .......

Thanks for the trip , Sturm !!

David

Hairstacker
03-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Way to go David! Good to hear you're getting into some. Are these your first bass of the year? :cool: If so, congratulations!

I hope to be doing some of that myself very soon -- history tells me this is the perfect time to be hitting up some of the valley lakes for smallies. :D

David Lee
03-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Yup , Mike ..... first this year .

The water is still pretty cold . It seems like the REAL start is still a few weeks away ?

Good luck on the Smallies !

D. -

SHigSpeed
03-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Hit it w/ Sturmer around 1:00 , fished 'till 6:00 .

Water is cold , stained with suspended dirt , visibilty 3 feet .

Four lovely Spotted Bass (3 were 12 inches , 1 was 13 3/4inches) , all on the 8 Wt. Craw and I line . Depth 5-12 feet .

In what will likely be my first dumbassed move of 2009 ..... I left my force fins on the porch - tubing w/ no fins is like running in place . I do not recomend it .......

Thanks for the trip , Sturm !!

David

D'OH! Well, you did pretty well anyway. Better than leaving the fins at the lake I guess...

Thanks for the report!

_SHig

David Lee
03-13-2009, 11:19 PM
D'OH! Well, you did pretty well anyway. Better than leaving the fins at the lake I guess...

Thanks for the report!

_SHig

I should have added that it was my first time EVER leaving fins (or ANY important bit of gear , other than the 'correct' fly box) at home . I hope it isn't the start of a trend ......

Looks like fate OWES me a 6+ Lb. Bass soon ?? Get out there an' GET 'EM !!!

David

Hairstacker
03-14-2009, 10:50 AM
David, you know we've all done those things. The main thing is you didn't forget your rod or reel. :oops: :lol:

How did those spotties fight? Did you pull up any that ended up being smaller than they felt on the line? :D

David Lee
03-14-2009, 06:31 PM
They fought OK .....

They will fight MUCH better in about 5 or 6 degrees !!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I was over-gunned w/ my RPLX 7 wt. . Hope springs eternal ........ ??? I could actually cast the 8-Wt. Craw fairly well on it , which is a nice change .

David

Ed Wahl
03-14-2009, 08:45 PM
You must have been feeding them the size 4?

7wt, isn't that your striper size?

Yep, it's been a long winter.

I'm still liking your idea of a fishout at Sly Park in April. These rubber trout are starting to bother me. I'll be needing a Smallmouth fix pretty soon.

Anyone else up for some freezing jeebers next month?

Ed

SHigSpeed
03-15-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm still liking your idea of a fishout at Sly Park in April. These rubber trout are starting to bother me. I'll be needing a Smallmouth fix pretty soon.
Ed

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Lakes/Rancho Seco/Derby Spring 2009/P1050576-1.jpg

<LOL>

So there are smallmouth in Jenkinson?

_SHig

Ed Wahl
03-15-2009, 09:27 AM
C'mon shig, you know I just swallow 'em whole. That pic was after I ate a Crappie.;):D

Look at the guy behind me. He just ate a rubber trout.:eek::puke:

David Lee
03-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Ed -

Nope ..... I was throwing a #2 , full-sized . The 7 is a little overkill .... but it does throw pretty much ANY size fly w/ little trouble (I'm using an old Teeny 8 wt. I line .....) .

Folson and CFW are going to go off in the next 2-4 weeks , big time . I thing Sly Park will do better in late April (Would you concour ?? We've fished together there more than a few times and froze before May) . Remember my 'rubber-Trout-run' on the Muddled Zonker way back when ?? The Smallies in SP likely won't be bothered much by the lack of rubber Trout , since I think they eat more Pond Smelt than anything else ......

Ponds are already fireing pretty good - I've had reports from Mureitta in the past two weeks , more than a few BIG Bass coming out . It is one of the few places I've fished where I feel undergunned w/ an 8 wt. . I'll wind up hitting that in a week or two . I'm sure most local , shallow ponds are also happinin' right now ........

Perhaps it's time for a LONESTAR raid ??????????????

David

Hairstacker
03-15-2009, 10:05 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, past reports seem to suggest Sly Park/Jenkinson is a very late April/early May kind of lake to get started on smallies?

What is a "Lonestar" raid? :D

David Lee
03-15-2009, 10:13 AM
What is a "Lonestar" raid? :D

A Lonestar raid is - something we shall not discuss in public .

You are invited , of course ... any time you can make it up here . Lonestar is the MOST EPIC of all epic ponds , just ask Ed . He won't give up the location , though .

It is also quite illegal to fish there .

David

Ed Wahl
03-15-2009, 10:34 AM
April may be jumping the gun a bit at Sly Park. I know a creek that'll be on by then though.

Soon as we get a week of 70ish weather it should be happening.

We'll have to check on "the raid", the building boom was still happening then. There may be a backyard where we fished from last time. With guard dogs, maybe snipers.
Ed

Scott V
03-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Good to hear you got some bass David, I am hoping they start to get a little more active in a week or so.

I am up for a trip to Sly Park for some smallies. I'll bring some dental floss for you Ed.

Hairstacker
03-15-2009, 11:24 AM
We'll have to check on "the raid", the building boom was still happening then. There may be a backyard where we fished from last time. With guard dogs, maybe snipers.

Bummer. I'd like to try a place without snipers. Creekin' sounds like fun but it seems like most of 'em don't open until late April or May. :neutral: What about Cache?

roostersgt
03-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Still kinda early for LM's. Ponds at Rancho Murieta really slow. Not a single tap. Probably too cold n they lethargic. Heard a certain someone used a rubber worm w/fly rod though. My kinda guy.

Steve

David Lee
03-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Heard a certain someone used a rubber worm w/fly rod though. My kinda guy.

Well ...... it sure as hell wasn't ME !! LOLOLOLOLOL

David

Hairstacker
03-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Me neither. :lol:

roostersgt
03-16-2009, 08:28 PM
'Twas an elderly gentleman, really well known on this site and others. I think he may be German and prefers Pleuger Medalists.

Steve