PDA

View Full Version : March Brown Patterns

Kurt P
03-11-2009, 01:30 PM
I just stumbled on a great thread on another forum where members discuss what particular patterns they like for a certain hatch. In this case, given the March Browns are currently coming off on local rivers, I thought it might be a good idea to get input from the members of this board, too (I think we are better anglers, smarter and better looking than those on other boards).

Topics such as particular patterns that have proven effective (photos of the flies would be nice), techniques that've worked (dead drift soft hackles, trailing a nymph behind dry, etc) types of waters that have been consistent producers (foam lines in back eddies hot spot for spinners, etc) should all prove helpful. No need to list particular hot spots on a particular river as this is just meant to be a general suggestions collection for this fun local hatch (if you want to send me a PM of your particular honey-hole I'll try not to get offended).

Kurt

easymends
03-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I guess I will chime in. Not sure why nobody responded, I love fishing March Browns. Especially swinging wet flys. In my experience this outfishes the Duns, they seem to love them swinging when a hatch is on.

Here is a couple patterns I like, really simple ties too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yamjqmE3n14&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Foregonflyfishingblog%2Ecom%2F&feature=player_embedded

Adam Grace
03-25-2009, 03:05 PM
I didn't see this post, that hare's ear soft hackle should work just fine.

Sutterk
03-27-2009, 08:38 AM
How does he make it look so simple? Mine would end up like a big old ball of fluff. Good thing there's a place like Kiene's to buy someone else's.

Hairstacker
03-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Sutterk, I don't know if you tie flies but that is a pretty straight-forward pattern to tie. I'd bet with just a little practice, you could crank 'em out just as well.

By the way, that fella obviously has been tying a while but I'm not a fan of his dubbing technique. If you watch closely, you'll notice he twirls the dubbing back and forth in his fingers. He should be twirling it in one direction only. He got away with it on this pattern but other patterns/materials may not be so forgiving.

bigtj
03-27-2009, 01:23 PM
A #14 or #12 olive EC caddis with dark brown tail is the best march brown dry pattern I have ever used. They don't care if the wing is to the back, if you end up losing sleep over it just tie the wing forward. Seriously that fly is deadly for March Browns. And it will catch you a fish or two during the rest of the season when the caddis are going nuts.