PDA

View Full Version : Tube, 'Toon, Yak, Pram?

SHigSpeed
03-10-2009, 10:51 PM
With all the "low impact" craft we have available to us, I'd like you all to chime in on what your fav is.

I currently have a Fish Cat IV tube that I use on small water (Mather, small bass ponds, coves in larger water near an easy launch).

I also have an 8' pontoon that I fish most other places but I DON'T currently have a motor so I still keep it small. Fuller, Red, Seco, Heenan.

I do also have a 5 person Sevylor yellow raft that I throw my 'toon frame in and that's pretty close to a pram in utility. All I really need is wooden floorboards and I'm sure I could stand in that. Rows nice and I can fit a kid or two extra in it.

The one thing that all of these have in common for me is they all will fit (one at a time) in the trunk of my car.

I have an opportunity to pick up a 10' tri-hull pram, but I'm wondering if it'd fit my current fishing "lifestyle". I don't currently have a truck and none on the near horizon so it'd have to go on my minivan or I'd need to cobble together a roof rack for my 4 door import.

Discuss! :)

_SHig

Hairstacker
03-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Well, you may already know I've been fishing the Delta for a number of years now out of inflatable kayaks.

They've worked out really well for me -- they fit in the trunk of my Civic with room to spare, they inflate in 5 minutes, I've been able to carry them under one arm and launch off the side of any levee, they've got me into places motored boats can't go, they're very stealthy, and they've been super stable -- have not flipped one even once in the last 6 years. I also like how they get you close to the water and have found them to be a very relaxing but effective way to fish the Delta.

With all that said, lately I've been thinking of picking up a regular, light-weight sit-on-top kayak to see how I might like those.

jburge
03-11-2009, 08:33 AM
I don't know that it's my "fav" only because it's all I've ever used, and that's a Hobie Outfitter Kayak.

Advantages are: it's a tandem (so my wife and I can cruise together), it uses the "mirage drive" (similar to a pedal drive but not really) which makes it fast and easy to cruise when the wife's arms get tired, has loads of space in 3 storage hatches, and all the extras of cup holders, rod holders, etc. The hull is also pretty flat and wide, so it's super stable. We've never taken a dunking. And, like Mike said, kayaks are nice and stealthy. I can't count the times I've just floated up to a watering deer or family of otters.

Disadvantages: weight. This sucker is heavy. Loading/offloading it on my Accord by myself is a lesson in leverage. It can be done, but you gotta be careful.

Because it's strictly human powered there are limitations to my range, so like _SHig, I like to keep it in smaller water for fishing. The wife and I however, have done some nice tandem cruises in Tomales Bay and Lake Tahoe.

John

Scott V
03-11-2009, 08:49 AM
If I were to get a pram I would not get one bigger than 8'. 10' is nice but you might as well get an aluminum boat at that point in my opinion. Plus as you stated you really do not have a way to transport it. I know you would build some cool pvc device to load it on to your van though if you got it.

mark m
03-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Hi,
I have both a tandem inflatbale Aire kayak and a 10.5 portabote with electric trolling motor.

I use the inflatable to go down rivers or lakes.

Pros: folds up and fits into a trunk; takes 10minutes with a foot pump to fill; stealthy; light(35lb)
Cons; my butt gets sore after sitting in the boat; I have kneeled in the boat; really only one position.

I use the portabote in lakes;

Pros: folds up and can put on roof racks; store in garage; relatively light (55lb)
Con: seat takes up alot of room; takes about 15 min to setup; the oars are cheap

I like the portabote with the trolling motor, but am bad about re-charging the battery every month. This cost me a new battery every year. I would upgrade the oars and oar locks.

I will probably setup the portabote at home the night before and strap the fully assembled boat on my roof rack. There is a boat assist made by Yakima racks that can help with loading the portabote or kayak on the roof rack. I have not bought one yet.

Good Luck
Mark

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-11-2009, 09:25 AM
I love them all..........

I started in a round float tube ~40 years ago on Lake Solano near Winters, CA. We had the "Tucker Duck & Rubber Company" (Fort Smith, AK) round canvas covered float tubes that had either 16" or 20" truck tubes in them. They were not that big so they were good to about 200# people.

We have now evolved to V-boats which are easier to get in and out of plus are faster.

Canoes are nice for certain places especially if you get one that is more stable like a "cottage canoe"

Kayaks are getting more popular all the time.

Pontoon boats are very popular locally with all our lakes, ponds and rivers.

__________________________________________________ ___________

I have had prams for many years so I think I am spoiled by them.

You can stand and see down into the water. While standing you can cast further, easier too.

You can have an ice chest and have more rods rigged.

8' is a one man deal and has it's place.

10' is a 1-2 man rig.

12' is good but is right between car-top and trailer.

14' is killer for two people and gear. Very popular size in the USA.

A 16' Jon boat is really great but is not too good for just one person to run, but doable.

Having something to float in or on is a big sepersation as far as avalable water to fly fish.

Being older now I think I fly fish more out of a boat than ever.

David Lee
03-11-2009, 09:41 AM
For ease of use , and versitility ..... a float tube , hands-down . I've spent thousands of hours fishing in mine , with very few regrets .

The only real limiting factors are -

#1 - DO NOT use it in moving water . I tried it on the American a few years back , and suggest you do not .

#2- DO NOT use it in the salt . Tidal surge is enough reason , I shouldn't have to add the dangling leg factor to dissuade you ......

#3- Not what I'd call a long-distance craft . Never break the golden rule - launch INTO the wind .

The true beauty of a tube is you can fish in the heaviest kind of wind/rain that will keep everyone else OFF the water . I have tubed in 40+ MPH winds ..... and was the ONLY person out there that could do that effectivly . For a yak/canoe/'toon/$$$$$$ Bass boat ..... you HAVE to have someone running it -

The problem with using a yak , or Canoe , or pontoon is the lack of control , unless you are on anchor . You can paddle , or you can fish ..... YOU CANNOT DO BOTH ! Even the slightest breeze will screw your positioning up bad enough to ruin your fishing . A yak w/ all the doodads (double-anchor system) might get the job done .

My #2 spot would be a Pram - not as easily launched everywhere .... but stable , reasonably long-ranged , has a useful anchor system , handles moving water fine .

You can't chuck it into the back of your Tercel very well , though ......

Back to the float tube ...... I use a primative round one (and destroy one every 3 or so years because I use it so much) - I sit low and cold , but I have less wind resistance than anything else . Make sure the actual tube part is in good shape , lest you suffer catastrophic tube failure on the water (I haven't had this happen yet , but did have one POP while I was taking a Beer break on shore at Folsom . Long walk back to the car .....) .

I hope this helps .

David

metalhead
03-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Started with Woods V Tube, converted to Old Town Pack Canoe (12 footer - 32 lbs) nice boat, but dicey in high wind on Donner & Martis Lake, or any high Sierra Lake. Now have 13.8 (foot) Old Town Stealth Kayak (Hunting model) with Scotty rod holders, anchors & shotgun mount (for jet skiers). Able to mount 2 HP Honda 4 stroke on Old Town boats, but iffy in high winds also. Now have 15 foot Endure drift pram, but hard to fish & row without wingman.

Darrin.Deel
03-11-2009, 12:44 PM
I have a 13' valco deep vee aluminum boat im trying to sell. It is incredibly stable and with the 15hp motor, it will plane out with 500 pounds in the boat.

Phil Synhorst
03-11-2009, 05:59 PM
SHig, I have an Outback Pram 10'(tri-hull style), it's a pretty good little craft. Plenty of room for gear, good amount of room to cast from, the bench is even wide enough to stand on. However the style like Ed has(Black Pearl), seems to be a bit more maneuverable. I haven't used his, but the few times we've been out together, his seems to track straighter and turn better. Perhaps that may just be more experience on his part?

Hope that helps, Phil

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Phil,

You have a very nice boat. Many of my freinds have them.

I have had that fiberglass tri-hull in an 8 and 12 footer.

Many people made those same boats but this is the only one left in production:

http://www.columbia.w1.com/Oly-Boats.shtml

fishngy
03-11-2009, 09:44 PM
If you get the pram, go to harbor freight and get a small trailer. Of course there is the cost of a hitch on the car or mini van, but life will be easier loading and unloading with a trailer. Had a 14' canoe, but loading it was a chore at the end of a long day of fishing. I'm small, so lifting a canoe was difficult at times and I have had two hernia repairs. Now I have a 12' v bottom with a trailer. I like the fact that I can have it hitched up in ten minutes and on the road. Launching it is easy and I can do it by myself rather easily. Just watch out for slippery ramps and board members that are watching when you get stuck on the ramp. I also have my pontoon which has it uses also. Enjoy figuring this all out! Bill

JPY
03-13-2009, 06:57 PM
I like my 12 ft. Porta Bote (a folding boat). It is big enough for me to take the kids out fishing and light enough for me to put on top of my SUV (much easier with two adults but manageable alone). The floor on the boat is flexible so it takes some getting use to but after a little time in the boat, I have no problem moving around or casting while standing.

I have yet to take it on the river but so far it works great in lakes.

John

roostersgt
03-18-2009, 08:29 PM
I've had every type of craft mentioned here. I currently have a 'toon, float tube canoe and inflatable 'yak. I'm considering selling my inflatable kayak (Aire Tomcat) and getting a Watermaster. They seem best suited fop every type of fishing, especially river They allow you to use your flippers for control while drifting, casting and fighting fish. Wish they didn't cost so much.

Phil Synhorst
03-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Steve, my curiosity was piqued, so I just googled the Watermaster. That's a neat idea, cross between several different crafts. I did not give in to the temptation to look at the price, what ever it is, it's out of my range right now.

roostersgt
03-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Phil,

Unfortunately, they're about $1300 (new) with all accessories. Worth it in the long run. A friend of mine has one and they just can't be beat. There is no compromise with them. His fishes better than any craft I have owned and is rated for class 4 rapids and 800+ lbs. They're pretty indestructable too. Hopefully, I'll be getting one this summer. Depends upon the sale of garage items etc.... If you contact them they will send you a DVD and catalog. Another similar craft is the Abel Craft. Found one on Craigslist for $600 used.

http://killeen.craigslist.org/boa/1058432920.html

Steve

JAWallace
04-20-2009, 11:02 AM
I have a canoe, two kayaks, a V tube, did have an old float tube until Mr. Lee bought it, and a Hobie Float Cat....and a Boston Whaler Montauk. My clear favorite is the Hobie Float Cat. I have it registered and can motor easily, row, or use fins. This is the one pontoon I've used that barely reacts to wind and is highly maneuverable. It fits perfectly in my Sequoia with a full 1/4" to spare on each side ;-) The only disadvantage is that it is a little heavy but "draggable" on smooth surfaces and carryable for a short distance.

The one disadvantage I see with a traditional float tube is entry and exit from some waters. I will say the seating position is second to none for comfort.