PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Lake

jayclarkflyfishing
03-09-2009, 08:55 AM
The fishing is slowly starting to improve.Water temps dropped a little last week to 43 degrees.More fish seem to be showing up,but they are not in great numbers yet.A number of fish over 10lbs were landed last week.The Nets will close this sunday March 15 and reopen on May 16th.During the closure the zoo will move over to Pelican.I do have some open dates available.

See you on the water!

Jay

sierraflyfisher
03-09-2009, 06:30 PM
All:

Fished Pyramid South Nets Beach last Sunday. Fishing was slow with only a 1-2 fish being caught by the ladder brigade per hour. In 6 hours of fishing I had one hit. Landed a nice 24" Lohantan, but that was it for the day. The guy to right of me caught four in the 3 hours he fished. He had the hot hand. He caught his on chartreuse beetles. Mine came on a white/chartreuse beetle. The wind was up, but blowing off shore most of the day. Skies were bright, but the wind kept the chill in the air. I had one follower that came close to the ladder towards the end of the day, but that was it.

sierraflyfisher

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Called Rob at the Reno fly Shop today to check with them on tackle and techniques for Pyramid Lake.

He said many like the "Teeny type" really fast sinking integrated heads. They recommend the Rio DC 24' super fast sinking integrated 'sink-head' lines. Others will work too.

For a 6 weight rod they recommend 150 grains, 200 gr for the 7 weights and 250 for the 8 weight outfits. I know many like heavier weights but this is for wading, not off the front a boat for Stripers.

He said many still use the traditional small light colored fly in front of a bigger dark bugger dragged on the bottom with fast sinking lines.

The other way is the indicator method made popular up on British Columbia lakes fishing suspended chironomids for big Kamloop Rainbow trout. They use #10-14 chironomids and also #10-14 nymphs.

Maybe 6' of 2x-3x tippet under the indicator with a fly at the bottom and one up two feet. Kind of depends on the depth too.

jayclarkflyfishing
03-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Bill,
I use 25' of t11 looped to 100 feet of running line on my 8 weight for stripping buggers and beetles.I also use 10-12 lb Vanish for my leaders.I fish a 10' 6 weight for midge fishing under an indicator.8 lb tippet.About 5 feet under indicator at the nets and Pelican.

I just returned from another 4 days at Pyramid.Fishing was more of the same.Slow fishing with 1-4 fish caught each day.A few folks have been doing well at the south end of the lake,but most of the fish are small(16-18").Water temps are starting to come up.The highlight was an 11lb fish that I caught on a black and purple beetle.I'll be back out on Tuesday.

See you on the water!
Jay

Darrin.Deel
03-15-2009, 05:48 PM
I'll be there on the 8th!

Chris Evison
03-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Guided at Pyramid yesterday. Action was slow. Client only landed 3 fish, 4lb female, two males one 6lb the other 9.75lb. Happy client! We got them under indicators.

For indicator fishing 5wt-8wt rods. Heavier rods work better in the often windy conditions! 5wt & 6wt rods better for the calmer days. That said I use a 6wt but am considering going to a 7wt.

For leader straight chunk of 10lb flouro 7-8ft long to first fly, 18" to bottom fly. I normally like the non-slip mono loop knot for bottom fly. I used to call this knot the Lefty Kreh non-slip mono loop then, a few years ago I guided three Navy guys at Pyramid. As I showed them the knot one of them, a rigging guy on deck of transport ships commented "IN the Navy that knot has been called a bowlin with a twist for 250 years." Hey, just thought I'd throw that out there and see what happens.

These fish are not leader shy, some of the oldtimers won't use anything less than 15lb or 20lb line. I don't use a tapered leader and tie flies in line. No dropper system using blood or dbl surgeons knots. I really think using anything less than 10lb is not doing any favors for the fish.

I use sz 10 flies 95% of the time tied on 2457 hooks. Big fish can straighten out thinner wire hooks. I've had fish eat midges up to sz 6. Lake midges work great, but take your river nymphs! Lahontans like stonefly nymph patterns and callibaetis stuff. There is a healthy callibaetis hatch at Pyramid in summer. These fish seem willing to experiment with food sources.

I indicator fish Pyramid 90-95% of the time, rarely have I stripped flies for 5 years now. Some will say that big fish don't eat this stuff. Well, they do! My biggest fish is 12lb on a holographic Copper John that I tie. Last year I saw a guy get a 14lb on a sz 12 midge. Owner of shop, Dave Stanley, gives me alot of grief for indicator fishing thru the season.

Stripping I like 7-9wt rods. Any sinking line system you prefer. I use rio striper and outbound lines with int. running lines. I have gotten away from floating running lies due to wind and current pushing the floating line around. For 8wt I use outbound 325gr. Get to bottom and start stripping!

Again 10lb flouro for leader.

Most of woollies that are used at lake imitate the healthy population of dragonflies in the lake (black, chartruse, olive, purple in sz 4-10). Lots of damsels and beetles. Beetles range in size from your pinky fingernail to the size of a silver dollar. We use alot of foam beetle patterns.

Primary food source for truly big cutts is the Tui Chub. It gets up 14" in lake. Doesn't hurt to throw big flies around deep dropoffs. Experiment with count down til you find where there hanging. Olive over white would be a good chioce!

I've seen people on their ladders with sidefinders so they know when fish are in front of them and time to cast. To each their own!

I've said enough for know! If further ?'s or to book trips call Reno Flyshop or drop me an e-mail.

Hope this helps!

Chris