PDA

View Full Version : Yuba Clarity

RJSFLYTRIP
03-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Here is a quick report on the clarity of the Yuba. I fished the Yuba on Saturday and there was about one foot of clarity. The water was definitely brown. It was not even close to green. The odd thing was the edges of the river were clearer than the middle. On the edges there was about a foot and a half of visibility. There were definitely some bugs coming off though with a handful of PMDs, March Browns, and even a few Skwalas. Needless to say with the tough water clarity the fishing wasn't good. In total we got three rainbows. I guess three is better than none. At least there was no skunk left in the boat. As deer creek gets lower the clarity on the Yuba should start improving. I would expect the Yuba to be in prime shape by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Hopefully someone can add some input on the clarity today. I will be back out there tomorrow.

For anyone interested in booking March 16 or 22 for the Yuba, Lower Sac, or Feather I will take $100 off.

amoeba
03-09-2009, 11:24 AM
I was there also on Saturday till late. Water visibility seemed nearly 2 feet by then, what RJ is thinking of as being clearer edge waters I suspect, are some shallows that the mud has settled out from - - - there are no fish there. You can also see rocks along the edge, but the water isn't clearer, it just mean's the bottom is visible.

I saw a few PMD's, no skwala, no march browns, no rises, and no fish being hooked no less caught by me or anyone else fishing or who I talked to (and there were lots of people - leaving). Water temperature reached 48 degrees by late afternoon; and by 4pm - where most fish are caught between then and dusk (as many of us have experienced, this river is not a mid-day hatch/catch situation, especially in bright sunshine) - there was but one car left under the SR 20 bridge, mine. Everyone else had bailed, including the birds, which rarely turn down an opportunity to feed the slightest hatch.

It can only get better. In addition to water clarity, warmer temperatures by thursday-friday and beyond could really turn this on.

IronMtn
03-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Fished the Yuba yesterday afternoon at the Hwy. 20 bridge. Water was still very chocolate brown with about 1 maybe 2 feet of visibility. Lots of skwalas flying around and march browns in the water. No real hatch, but you could see tons of mayflies swimming around underwater; the brown makes a good backdrop to see tiny dark things suspended underwater that you wouldn't normally see. Got two fish to hand and three additional hook-ups. Not a bad day considering nobody else was catching fish.

Lots of people though. Every hole or run was corked with people still coming in even just before dusk.

troutbm
03-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Fished the Yuba yesterday afternoon at the Hwy. 20 bridge. Water was still very chocolate brown with about 1 maybe 2 feet of visibility. Lots of skwalas flying around and march browns in the water. No real hatch, but you could see tons of mayflies swimming around underwater; the brown makes a good backdrop to see tiny dark things suspended underwater that you wouldn't normally see. Got two fish to hand and three additional hook-ups. Not a bad day considering nobody else was catching fish.

Lots of people though. Every hole or run was corked with people still coming in even just before dusk.

Thats because evryone fishes the same ol spots.

RJSFLYTRIP
03-11-2009, 08:38 PM
I drove to the Yuba to guide this morning and got to the river to find out that the clarity was still brown. It didn't look like anything had changed from last weekend. Still only about one foot of clarity and super brown. Seems like it should at least be olive by now. I guess it might be a while before the Yuba is clear. Ended up driving back to the Feather for a day of spring steelhead fishing.

If anyone goes up to the Yuba then let me know if things are progressing.

Thanks & Fish Hard!

medfly
03-11-2009, 09:22 PM
you're breaking my heart, was hoping to head up this weekend, may have to double think that gas bill, saving up for belize i hope

Xnjb707X
03-12-2009, 05:40 PM
I fished the Yuba yesterday, even tho it was brown. I still landed one nice 17" bow and lost a few others, my friend also landed a nice one too. It was rough fishing but it paid off. Lots of bug life everywhere too, skwallas, pmds, and march browns were out there were a few rises but i didnt get any takes with dries had a couple chases but that was about it. Still, it was a good day.

- Nic

ryeflyguy
03-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Anybody have any updates on Yuba clarity?

Thanks!