PDA

View Full Version : Clear Intermediate Line

chemdoc
03-06-2009, 03:31 PM
I am planning to buy a clear intermediate line for my 5 wt and there are several to choose from. I am told that Kienes carries a few and I am interested in any thoughts from those of you who own one and what you would recommend. Thanks.

Phil

JD
03-06-2009, 05:06 PM
The Cortland 444 Clear Camo Intermediate line is the gold standard. While I don't personally bother, some like to up-line because it can be tough to cast until it warms up. To me the line weight matches the rod weight just fine, but YMMV.

David Lee
03-06-2009, 05:14 PM
The Cortland 444 Clear Camo Intermediate line is the gold standard. While I don't personally bother, some like to up-line because it can be tough to cast until it warms up. To me the line weight matches the rod weight just fine, but YMMV.

I'll second that .

Unless your 5 is softer .... upline by one weight .

David

Hairstacker
03-06-2009, 05:19 PM
It's also significantly cheaper than the SA or Rio versions. :thumbsup:

SHigSpeed
03-06-2009, 05:50 PM
I'll chime in: I run the Camo 6 wt on my 5 wt rod.

_SHig

Terry Thomas
03-06-2009, 06:54 PM
I would agree all of the previous posts. I do like the sink rate of the Cortland product. As for casting, the Rio Aqualux seems to cast a lot easier and I don't feel a need to overline that product. I do find that the Rio intermediate does sink a little faster than the ClearCamo line.
ClearCamo @ $54
Rio Aqualux @ $69
Most people probably keep their lines for a least 5 years. The difference in cost: @ $2 a year. Both are good lines with different fishing qualities.
T.

lee s.
03-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Susan runs a Courtland clear/camo in lakes. She usually spanks me. ;-)
.....lee s.

Phil Synhorst
03-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Lee, I thought this was a G rated board.:eek::lol::lol::lol:

jbird
03-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Another vote for the aqualux. it casts very well and it is a little less tangly. That is the defining characteristic of clear intermediate lines...they all tangle, some worse than others. I actually had a cabelas prestige clear int. that was my favorite intermediate line. my trolling motor ate that one. I might get another one, it was like $29 and well worth it.

chemdoc
03-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to get the new line at Kiene's at the open house in April.

Phil

Ed Wahl
03-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to get the new line at Kiene's at the open house in April.

Phil

Phil, I'll see ya at the expo. Still haven't met you in person and we've got some fishing to discuss.

I may not be in until after noon, I usually help out with some river clean up on the same day.
Ed

chemdoc
03-07-2009, 10:06 PM
That sounds good Ed. I look forward to talking with you in person. Only a few months til cutthroat season again in the high country.

Phil