PDA

View Full Version : GPS Advice

chemdoc
03-06-2009, 03:29 PM
I haqve been looking at getting a handheld GPS to carry while hiking in the mountains fishing those small streams this summer and was wondering if any of you use one and can offer a recommendation. I mainly want to be able to load topo maps af areas I visit so I can have routes planned in advance. It seems that every brand or model I investigate has people who love or hate it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Phil

Scott V
03-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Garmin 60CSX, I have had a 60CS and love it. I take it everywhere, at does everything you can imagine. I use it all the time for driving directions as well as using it for when I go into the woods. With the "X" version you can put in memory cards and hold much more information that one could possibly need. PM if you have any specific questions.

Ed Wahl
03-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Phil, be careful what you ask for.

After fishing a certain 'desert' stream for years that calls for a 3 mile walk/ride in I took Scott and his electronic marvel. :rolleyes:

Now it's a 5 mile walk/ride. GPS only made it harder.:angry:

I'm still on the fence with GPS, being old school I have to wonder just how you can ever get good and lost with one of those?

You'd be surprised at the fishing I've found while 'lost'.

Tony P
03-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Garmin 60CSX, I have had a 60CS and love it. I take it everywhere, at does everything you can imagine. I use it all the time for driving directions as well as using it for when I go into the woods. With the "X" version you can put in memory cards and hold much more information that one could possibly need. PM if you have any specific questions.

I second the 60CSX!

Darian
03-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Hey Ed,.... I felt the same way you do about GPS. I can't recall ever being lost in my life (until a very foggy day on the Delta.... :rolleyes:) Now I'm a believer for that area.... :cool: My GPS is in the L'owrance unit.