PDA

View Full Version : Free public lecture on early angling books

Half Pounder
03-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi, folks.

I thought some of you might be interested in knowing about a free public lecture I am giving through College of the Redwoods on gender issues in angling. It will be held at the following communities on these days: Crescent City on 3/6; Fort Bragg on 4/3; and Eureka on 4/17.

Here's a link to the press release for anyone who'd like more info.:

http://www.redwoods.edu/_artman/publish/article_668.asp

Please let me know if you have any questions: sean-herrerathomas(at)redwoods.edu

Tight lines!

Half Pounder

Darian
03-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Holy Crap!!!! Now we have to have sensitivity training for fly fisherman.... :\\ :\\ When can we look forward to having women file sexual harassment complaints against male fly fisherman for creating a hostile fishing environment :?: :?: #-o

Actually, there's some interesting info there............

Tracy Chimenti
03-03-2009, 07:30 PM
... sounds interesting to me. Will there be lot's of women that drink beer there? Tis could be right up my intellectual alley. Hope the women don't mind a fisherman that wants nukes and desal, cuz I'm pretty vocal about those things!

Tracy

bonneville54
03-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Sounds fascinating, Sean. I wish your lectures were bit closer to Grass Valley.

A couple of questions ( if you don't mind)

Did you win this Portugal Award? If so, congratulations!

Has it been proven that Juliana Berners actually existed?

and ...what's this about "angling as means of suppressing disorderly desires"?

This sport has such a rich literary history, I'd love to know more about the earlier stuff...

John

Half Pounder
03-03-2009, 11:57 PM
John,

I am the lucky winner of the award this year, for which I am very grateful. Thanks for asking!

There is no evidence that conclusively proves Berners' existence or confirms what the early antiquarians said about her in relation to the fishing treatise. The best we have is a shred of evidence linking a "Dam Julyans Barnes" to a book on hunting. After a flurry of renewed interest in the early 1990s the academic world has now pretty much given up on her, while the popular press still champions her as the first angling author. My interests lie elsewhere than in confirming or denying the the story behind the legend: rather than asking who authored the text, I consider who is authorized to fish by the text.

Disorderly desires? The early texts frequently justify time spent angling because it provides a means of avoiding licentious activity and disorderly conduct. That's why it was important in the Berners legend that she be both a nun and noblewoman. Male anglers were also championed as moderate in behavior, especially in terms of licentiousness and drinking.

I am glad you have an interest in the topic. It is a rich and fascinating history that still needs a lot of work to uncover.

Tight lines!

Sean