PDA

View Full Version : My new Photo gear update

Adam Grace
03-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I just recently received my very first flash. I was lucky to get a good deal through Canon/Best Buy on the new Canon 580EX II flash. It's Canon's best flash and I'm excited to use it when I shoot my next wedding with my Photographer Boss lady.

Does anyone on this board use this flash?

Bob Bill
03-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Adam, the reason you guys dont see me much any more is photography has become a passion. I use as many as 4 flashes at a time including studio flash, soft boxes, umbrellas etc. in studio or out. It is pretty easy to get it off camera, that is the first thing to do. It will transform your images. On camera gives harsh, flat light. If on camera, bounce off white side wall ( I gaffer tape a white sheet to colored walls) to give shadows that render form or off ceiling for fill. Light bounces like a billiard ball, angle in is angle out. Preferable is a lightweight 6 foot light stand in back of photo vest and umbrella holder, and folding umbrella that can be bungied to your tripod. Either a 15 foot cord to trigger flash or radio triggers, I like skyport universals that have a 400 foot range and dont have to be in line of sight- and you can put that flash anywhere around subject as hard light or shot through umbrella to soften and diffuse. I carry 2 flash, a hotshoe foot that acts as a second stand, a clamp that clamps on doors, poles etc and you have some amazing possibilities.
A 5 way 42" folding reflector in the back of the vest and I have 3 lights out doors including the BOB, big orange ball. The reflector can be shot through to diffuse, held over subject to diffuse the sun(standard for those SI beach shots), bounced off of the 4 colored reflector covers or covering a colored wall using the white version. A hunk of black velvet for background or to block light for more contrast and you have a walking studio.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Hi Bob

If you get so time come by the shop and give us some advice on shooting these long rods for our online Spey store.

Bob Bill
03-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Billy, I will swing by. Will do anything I can to help. Always looking for photo projects. Kienes has always been a fabulous shop. I need to get in anyway, may actually wet a line this year since not able to get ready for a bodybuilding show because of months of nagging gout. Who knows, I may get my 10 ' valco pram out of the garage and into the water for the first time since 1993. Got the easy load swivel kit 3 years ago and its never been used. Keep thinking about selling it, but its such a nice way to fish. Havent fished the Fall since then. Got the hankerin for some American half pounders and shad too.

Adam Grace
03-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks Bob Bill. I'd love to play with a light system like yours but I'll be starting off with my new flash with a Gary Fong Light Sphere diffuser. I'll post some before and after pictures once I purchase my diffuser.

scotte
03-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Adam,

I would start with http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/ to learn about getting your flash off camera. The Lighting 101 section was a great way to get started. It makes a world of difference with your photos.

-Scott