PDA

View Full Version : New Camera Suggestions

emerger
03-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Hey guys,
I am begining to look for a more serious camera and thought I may get some suggestions from you guys who are constantly posting all of the awesome pictures on this website. I currently only have a point and shoot waterproof Olympus 725SW. I got this awhile ago basically because it's waterproof and I seem to kill cameras whenever I'm fishing by dropping them in the drink. This one has survived and I'll continue to use it when wading and in wet conditions. However it's very limited for pretty much anything but point and shoot. I can't really get a quality photo with closeups, and I really can't do any justice on any landscapes etc. That said, I am obviously a novice photographer but am really interested in getting a quality camera that I can experiment with and work on my skills. I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for a first "real" camera that had the capabilities of producing beautiful pictures including close ups and landscapes. I know I am looking at an investment here, so I was thinking about looking for a great camera in the $750 range or so. I also realize plenty of experimenting will be necessary on my part which I'm stoked about.
I'm also going on a trip to Central America this summer, so I figured now is the time to get a camera and figure out it's functions so I can capture some images of life in Central America, sunsets, close ups of wildlife and the ruins. I'm also slightly concerned about the affect of humidity on the camera in central America, so any input on that would be great too.
Like I said, I'm just kind of starting out so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-01-2009, 07:55 PM
For DSLRs Canon and Nikon seem to be the most popular so lenses and accessories (new & used) and knowledge of operation would be more available.

Some like the Olympus DSLRs but not so common.

Around our shop most have Canon DSLRs so it makes it easier for the more experienced to help the less experienced.

I think bodies run $500 to $5000?

Lenses are from a few hundred to over a thousand for common configurations. Big ones are $5,000.

A good friend just bought a new Canon Rebel XSi with one medium priced zoom lens for $800? and thinks it's pretty good. Some of the latest technology in a non-pro (not heavy duty) body.

You need a body, 2 to 3 lenses, filters, bag, tripod, extra battery, big memory chip or two, flash, etc.

Digital photography is so cool.............if I only knew how?

I told all my friends to dump their expensive film camera systems over 5 years ago. They laughed. Then they cried.

Adam Grace
03-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Emerger, I have been selling digital SLR cameras at Best Buy for 4 years now and I have a couple of suggestions for you the Canon Rebel Xs (10mp) of the Nikon D60 (10mp). Both cameras are very similar specification-wise and they are a great jumping-off point for digital SLR's. I think the Canon Xs when packaged with their 55-250mm Image Stabilized lens would be a perfect setup for you. The 250mm lens will allow you to take those pictures of wildlife as well as taking pictures of anything relatively far away in the distance.

Canon also has the Xsi (12mp) but you will most likely be very well off with Xs, that way you can use the extra money that you would have used to purchase the Xsi and put that money towards the extra cost of a combo that includes the 55-250mm IS lens with the Xs.

If you have any questions feel free to message me with your phone number so we can talk about this further.

emerger
03-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input and suggestions. Sounds like the Canon Xsi or Xs is the way to go. Adam, I'm sure I'll be emailing you to talk about additional lenses whenever I get the camera and the smaller 18-55 lens. Kind of want to get the initial lens and see what I need from there.
Thanks again for the help!