PDA

View Full Version : Do you like going into fly shops?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Some don't but for those of you who do, keep this in mind.

Right now lots of fly shops are closing in the USA because of this terrible economic situation that prevails, actually world wide right now.

If you enjoy going into fly shops for any reason you might think about supporting the ones you do so they are there next year.

For those of you who have no interest in going into fly shops don't worry about this message.

We are very lucky to be in a big wonderful area with lots of diverse employment opportunities so we somehow have been "holding our own".

Who knows how much worse it will get though?

Maybe we will all be living in tents along the American River next year telling stories around th a campfire about the "good old days"?

Hairstacker
02-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Bill, I love going into fly shops and my only lament is that yours isn't located closer to where I live or work. Do you have plans to get mail-order up and running for things like fly tying materials?

lee s.
02-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Let's see now...if we buy that 8pc rod one section at each fly shop...... ;-)
I DO like visiting flyshops....ESPECIALLY yours Bill. I do try to keep our bargain hunting to the bins at a shop. Only once in a great while do we succumb to craft store shopping. We generally keep that under control by worrying about "water soluable" when the urge nudges. Unfortunately, our expenditure at a shop has never been related to the adjustment of one's belt.....out or in.
.....lee s.

Darian
02-28-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm one of those that enters any fly shop in my immediate proximity to see if there's anything new on the horizon.... :cool: Annnnd, I, also, believe that if you want to find out anything from the proprietor or staff that you'll receive that info voluntarily if you spend some money there (not always necessary tho). :nod:

SOOooo,.... I guess I've contributed to Bill's IRA and kept several bait/gear/fly shops in business around here. :cool: Doin' what I can with what I got.... :D :D :D

Garrett S
02-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Yes i do and I need some new fly tying materials so i will be comming in soon.

mikel
02-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Ernie's in Santa Cruz closed recently and I miss that shop a great deal. Even if you only get in there once a month or so, having your own local shop is a huge bonus..Ernie was at the point where he wanted to retire and I'm happy for him, but sure miss the shop...-Mike

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Ernie and his wife put in their time and are real sweethearts.

I am happy they could retire but know they will miss their old shop and customers.

Gregg
02-28-2009, 11:05 PM
I think Fly shops are one of the last great American establishments. Fly fishing and tying are so unique in their practice, that they border on religion for many. It would definitley be a shame to see some of our favorites close their doors, or worse, go the way of bait fishing. I think people need to understand that by reeling in their spending too much, or spending countless hours searching to save a few bucks by shopping online (which I absolutely hate), they endanger the stores and attractions they enjoy. We all need to think about the bigger picture sometimes. While we're on the subject of online shopping, if anyone goes into a family run business (fly shop or other) and wastes everyone's time talking shop or trying things out / on, then says "thanks, I'm gonna go try to find this online for cheaper", I'm going to find you and we're gonna have a serious talk. I promise. And by "serious talk" I mean a to-the-death-royal-rumble.

Ed Wahl
02-28-2009, 11:37 PM
I was in a fly shop this afternoon.

Took a good friend of mine in with me. I have to say, the staff really made him feel welcome. Even though he's never fly fished before there wasn't a trace of snobbery to be found.

He took quite a shining to Bill's wife too. :wink:

I'll have to bring Duke with me every time I go now. :unibrow:

Paul B.
02-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Yes I do but no often enough. I'm hoping for more time to do so with a new job in the near future. Maybe more time to fish as well. See you this week Bill. Paul

Rich Leonetti
03-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I have been fly fishing almost 3 years now. I must admit I was initially "lured" (pun intended) by the internet, catalogs and big box chain stores, but I must say nothing compares to the local flyshop. There is so much knowledge and experience in going to the "local guy" as opposed to the big box. Yeah, the big box guy probably fishes too, but he's mostly there for the discount, he's probably not going to tell you his favorite spot. I am a huge fan of 2 out of the three shops here in town some are great and yea some are a little snobby. I can tell you my first time ever stepping into Keine's was probably my most memorable experience. This is a great thread, Thanks Bill. I enjoyed meeting you the other day, two years of coming into your shop and I finally got the chance to chat with ya...

Charlie Gonzales
03-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Doesnt matter if its fishing or hunting, if I cant be on the water, or in the blind, the next best thing is at the shop(the right shop). The staff and owner makes the difference. The first time I went into a fly shop(south of hwy 50, near bradshaw) I was made to feel that I couldnt afford the sport and wasnt welcome. It took a while for me to get the juevos to go into Kienes after that experience and the first people I met were Andy, Matt Johnson and Bill. I had no idea that Bill was the owner because he spent so much time talking to me. That made the difference.

Goblin
03-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I like hitting up the few shops we have in the Northbay. The customer service is usually good and the staff are great resources on everything from equipment to fishing locations. My dad, also a fly angler, lives in the southbay and misses Ernie's shop. I think he made a few trips to Ernie's every month for surf fishing items.

I have been trying to make it a point to buy lines, flies, and tying materials at local shops. However, I can't afford to buy rods and reels at retail, so I buy used.

I am not sure how much profit is in rods and reels, but I think the major rod and reel companies are adding to the decline of local shops. Rod, reel, and even clothing prices have really become unreasonable, to the point where people who may like to take up the sport are deterred by the initial costs of equipment. I think the sport is losing participants and the shops customers due to the pricing policies of the major gear manufacturers.

rtb215
03-01-2009, 04:58 PM
I do support all of the local fly shops. Each one has its own personality and every shop has a little different expertise, and I like the all.

Phil Synhorst
03-01-2009, 07:14 PM
The first time I went into a fly shop(south of hwy 50, near bradshaw) I was made to feel that I couldnt afford the sport and wasnt welcome.

I gave that place two tries, with the same results. Maybe that was typical, and the reason it's no longer open.

I do like to go into fly shops if I have a chance. It's always different than going into a regular retail, or big box store. More like going to your local hardware store, you know all the faces, a few names, and almost always get good advice.

The best experiences I've had were the one time I went to Ted Fay's, and every time I walk into Bill's place. I tried to find it in another recent thread, but someone said going to Kiene's was kinda like "Cheers". That sums it up, except for the booze, and Red Sox paraphernalia.:cool:

p.s. Bill I can give ya a few Sox pennants if you need.:lol:

pgw
03-02-2009, 09:17 AM
I miss having a local fly shop.

When I was 11, my uncle started taking me into a flyshop near his home in the Richmond District of San Francisco, when I got a little older, there was a shop in Santa Clara where you could talk to great fishermen and tyers (Bob, Dan, Ed) get information and equipment as well as one in San Jose that always had a pot of coffee, a cribbage game, information, and equipment, and one in Pleasant Hill where pipe smoking was required.

Things change, there are no flyshops within an hour of my residence. When I do go to one, the shop help only talks from their position behind the counter (where the info board hasn't been updated for local or popular destination waters in 3 months) if a customer looks like they are going to purchase a $700 rod or book a $4,000 trip.

It seems that almost all fly/sport/bigbox stores that sell fly fishing equipment have pretty much the same stuff so, service and friendlyness (to customers, their point of view, and their dogs) is what a lot of folks may be looking for. Is it too much to keep a freeking white board up to date with fishing info, a pot of coffee in the corner (even if there's a jar for coffee contributions nearby), and a deck of cards and a cribbage board around? Because, I've got the telephone and internet to obtain fishing and product information as well as coffee, and cards at home.

Thanks, rant off.

Paul

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Excellent Paul.........thanks for that well done little rant.

As you noticed most small fly shops were never started to make a lot of money. Those little old shops were there because someone enjoyed the people as well as the sport and the outdoors.

I don't really need to work anymore but I still enjoy going to the shop and seeing which old friend is going to show up next. I get more BSing done now than work but that's OK with me.

shawn kempkes
03-02-2009, 09:47 AM
I am a sucker for a flyshop with a good fly tying selection. I could literally go in to Waters West in Port Angeles and drop a grand on fly tying materials. They have the best fly tying materials for atlantic salmon / spey flies I have seen.

The only reason I ever buy anything from cabelas is because they stock fleece and rain coats in my size.

Adam Grace
03-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Charlie, my experience with Bill talking to me for so long during my first trip also got me hooked on Kiene's Fly Shop.....especially when my experience with the guys on Watt Ave was the same as your experience with those guys on Hwy 80.

Rodney D.
03-02-2009, 11:12 AM
I love going into Kiene's. I have been "experimenting" with fly fishing for about 15 years now and have all but put down the baitcasters. My wife (she's a keeper) bought me my first fly rod from Kiene's and I have never looked back. She mentioned how great the experience was to shop there especially for someone who had no clue what to buy. They could have sold her a 600.00 Sage but they they picked the appropriate rod for my abilities at the time (which weren't much and still need alot of work). It's funny how non-fly fisherpeople look at flyfishing as expensive when they spend 450.00 or more for a baitcaster and flippin' stick. I have found that Kiene's prices are very competitive with even the box stores AND you get EXCELLENCT customer service. I was raised in a small town where in order for stores to survive, they had to have customer service. I get that feeling everytime I step into Kienes. Keep up the good work.

East Bay Ed
03-02-2009, 11:50 AM
When I was a kid I used to love to go into sporting goods shops. They sold everything, bats, gloves, guns, and fishing equipment. Now they are mainly stocked with shoes and athletic clothes. It's not the same and I'm too old for baseball. To get the same fix, I got as a kid, I now love to check out the fly fishing shops in my area. I could spend an hour in them, but I get embarassed and leave after 10 or 15 minutes. I don't want to make them nervous, thinking I'm there to steal anything.
East Bay Ed

metalhead
03-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Yes, I do and I have noticed that many of the smaller North Coast shops have closed, or turned to general sporting goods and in several cases abandoned fly fishing all together. In Yolo County and northward they have been replaced by stores such as Big 5, WalMart, etc. We once had three shops in Woodland and now we have none. As far as value and quality of staff, Kiene's has gotten bigger and better each of the last 10 years.

wjorg
03-02-2009, 12:45 PM
When manufacturers could only sell through fly shops, they might have been more inclined to take a bit off their margin so they could pass it onto the shops that keep those manufacturers in business.

Now that I have heard the fly business has been "deregulated"(whatever that means) and there are less stringent manufacturer controlled prices....we will see if it affects the shop business for good or bad.

Fats
03-02-2009, 07:18 PM
I've got a local fly shop in my neck of the woods that I swear doesn't want to sell me anything! I'm very perplexed by this.... I go in and at best I get a hello, usually not. I can wander around for 20 minutes looking for something and not a soul comes over to ask if I need help with anything... they are too busy sitting by the cash register or booking a trip for themselves.

I understand the idea of not pestering a customer, but come on. When I do finally ask for help, they try to send me to REI or some other store... or they get lost in the back room and forget I'm on the floor. I like having a shop local, but this is rediculous!

As it stands, I'm pretty much done with the store. There are others that do a better job...

Now working at a shop for 5+ years was one of the best jobs I've ever had! I spent most of my money on gear but it was a great way to really learn what was going on and I never worried about wanting to go to work!

DonCooksey
03-03-2009, 06:38 PM
I love to visit local fly shops wherever I travel. I find it is a bit like wine tasting, and I always end up buying something, especially flies that I know I could tie or have tied myself. It just seems like partial payback for the advice on local conditions that I usually receive. I wish I had a good shop closer to where I live in way-too-southern CA. Bob Marriott's is my favorite (next to jumping on a plane to Sacramento to go to Kiene's!). Even Marriott's is a pretty long (and not so scenic) drive, however, so I have to admit that I end up buying materials and gear on line even from them more often than visiting.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback on this.

We are in very hard economic time world wide right now so keeping a good inventory is getting harder than ever. Even big companies we deal with are feeling the impact of a slow economy. Trickle down?

Hopefully everyone will be OK and make it through this down turn.

My main reason for this thread was to try to get people to go to their favorite fly shop and support them, if possible, because they all need your help now.

I even hear from supplies we deal with who sell to Cabelas that they are very slow too so it's not just the little guys who are effected here.

Spring is near so maybe that will get the economy flowing more?

mems
03-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Aloha Bill, whenever I travel first place I stop is a fly shop. I get someflies and some info and talk story. We only have one true fly shop over here, but we do have some tackle shops. Info doesn't flow as freely here, but because I am a sales rep they will listen to my pitch. I hope to visit your shop one day, Mems.

Ed Wahl
03-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Bill, all your place needs now is a pot bellied stove and a cracker barrel.;)
Ed

Paul B.
03-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Or a pot bellied stove and a pot of coffee.

pgw
03-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Or a pot bellied stove and a pot of coffee.

Hey, don't forget the cribbage board!