PDA

View Full Version : Another Fly Swap?

Hairstacker
02-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Hey fellas, jburge PM'd me with a great(!) idea for the next swap (brilliant, actually) -- each fly swapper ties one of the dry flies listed in the "ultimate trout dry fly collection" thread in the "Trout (Streams & Rivers)" section of this bulletin board. Yep, just go to that thread, go to the last page, and scroll down to jburge's summary of all the flies suggested by folks on this board as the "top 10 favorite trout dry flies for the California Sierras." I suspect, of course, these flies would be very productive anywhere, so there's no reason folks outside of California wouldnt want to participate.

Anyway, what better way to practice tying killer trout flies and adding to the trout dry fly box before the season officially arrives? It also connects that section of the bulletin board to this fly tying section very nicely. Anyway, what do you all think? Isn't this a cool idea for the next swap? Is there interest in doing this? We would also need someone to host it as well.

If someone will host this, I am hereby "In!" and will tie the Parachute Adams. :D If someone will host this, maybe that host should start a new thread announcing this fly swap with all the pertinent details regarding subject matter, number of swappers allowed, closing date for signing up, due date for mailing flies, etc., etc.?

David Lee
02-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Bob Scheidt expressed interest in hosting a swap .......

Let's see what he would like to do , as he seemed pretty keen on it when the last one was announced .

(I'll do anything to avoid tieing dries .... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL)

EDIT - I was not trying to step on your idea , Mike ..... only wanted to mention that Bob was bummed that he couldn't get in on the last swap . Hope I didn't come across as rude to you !

David

jburge
02-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Aw, gee, shucks... HS, you're too kind. Definitely count me in. I'd love to tie up some stimulators. Just one question, though. Who's going to provide the bumper mounted beer bottle opener?

Hairstacker
02-28-2009, 01:27 PM
David, are you kidding me? :lol: The thought never entered my mind and I would never interpret anything you say that way. :p By the way, this was jburge's idea and a great one at that.

If Bob would like to host, I think that would be great! Or anyone else for that matter. :D

davkrat
03-01-2009, 05:22 AM
I'd be happy to tie one of the flies on that list ;)

SHigSpeed
03-01-2009, 06:37 AM
I'd be down!

Count me in...

_SHig

Garrett S
03-01-2009, 08:24 AM
I call tying Elk Hair Caddis

Scott V
03-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm down for doing an orange stimulator with legs.

SHigSpeed
03-01-2009, 12:55 PM
I'd be willing to tie up a dozen black ants!

_SHig

Ed Wahl
03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
After all those recommendations I was going to tie up a bunch of E/C Caddis' anyway.

Now who's gonna tell Bob he's been "volunteered"? ;)

Ed

Hairstacker
03-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Hey Ed, I was kind of wondering the same thing. :lol: I checked to see if he can be reached by e-mail but his profile doesn't provide it. Seems we're kind of at an impasse . . . . David, do you know how to reach him?

David Lee
03-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Uhhhhhh ......

I'd use the handy PM feature !!

That ..... or smoke signals .

Perhaps two tin cans with a length of string ??

Telekinetic messages ?

Or - how 'bout a 'CALLING BOB'-titled post in the flytying forum ??

Or we can get his addy from BK , and take a drive up thataway and knock on the door .

I'm pretty sure he will figure out , in short order .... that he's the SwapMaster for March .

D. -

jburge
03-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Here's hoping Bob sees this...

And hey, I've got a question for you experienced and knowledgeable tiers... what do you do with all your "practice" flies? I must have at least 100+ flies where I've experimented with materials, proportions, techniques, etc. and I'm wondering... what do I do with them?

They're almost good enough to fish with (of course the fish know the answer to that), but I don't want to just throw them away. Do they just go in a dust-collecting box or should I purposely try to set up with my favorite tree?

Hairstacker
03-01-2009, 06:17 PM
what do you do with all your "practice" flies? I must have at least 100+ flies where I've experimented with materials, proportions, techniques, etc. and I'm wondering... what do I do with them?
Well, I don't know what everyone else does, but all my smaller "clunker" flies (pregnant hare's ear nymphs, anorexic pheasant tails, etc.) go into "The Bluegill Box"; as a result, it is one of the most well-stocked boxes I own . . . . :oops: :lol:

Ed Wahl
03-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Unless they're seriously heinous keep 'em. If they're drys and float ok, they'll still work. I'd only toss 'em if they just won't float right, ie stand on their head, lay over on their side, or upside down. Hard to go wrong with nymphs, the fish just don't care.

Now, from experience. I've carried some 'early':rolleyes: attempts in my boxes for years before throwing them out. But they have also saved me on numerous occasions. When the 'A' flies have all found trees, rocks, weeds, or just disappeared into the ether leaving me with an empty leader and no bites,(you all know this happens) the 'B' flies have saved the day.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure that up where we fish you could tie a pine needle or twig to a hook and catch fish on it.

Also, when your buddy loses his last fly, those rejects of yours start looking pretty good.:unibrow:

Ed

Phil Synhorst
03-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Also, when your buddy loses his last fly, those rejects of yours start looking pretty good.:unibrow:

Ed

Is that like bringing extra t.p. backpacking, to use to barter with?:lol:

Rich Leonetti
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
I'll do the griffiths gnat...

Bob Scheidt
03-01-2009, 07:25 PM
You guys, you guys, you guys. I guess I'm the swampmeister or swampmonster, that will be decided later. Anyway I am gonna host this thing. First time, never done it before, so if I botch it up, hey where's the love?

Correct me if I'm wrong as I often am,

1. Sierra dry fly swap, fly picked from the post on the Trout and Stream section of this very board, the post about favorite ten dries for our Sierra's

2. Limit to 15 tyers? or if that's not good, what # is? I like 15 if we can get that many.

3. Flies sent to me in Fresno by April 8th.

4. Name your fly and who tied it with your flies.

5. Include some kind of return postage so I can ship your wonderful selection your about to receive.

6. Flies will be distributed at Kiene's expo on april 18th, that's a Saturday. If you can't make the Expo, see #5 above.

7. Tell me if you want them mailed or you will pick them up at the fly shop on expo day. Include this info with your flies.

8. So sign up and tie the same fly so everyone including yourself get one of your creations.

Bob