PDA

View Full Version : Belize

emerger
02-24-2009, 07:11 AM
I'm heading to Belize this August for a 2 weeks and looking for some advise about places to get out and fish. I'll be booked up for the first half of the trip inland and won't be able to fish too much (maybe get a chance or two on an inland river), but then will be in Ambergris Caye for a few days and then the second week will have be able to plan to travel pretty much anywhere. I plan on getting a guide for a day on Ambergris and look for some bones and tarpon. I'll proabably have one more day at Ambergris and would like to get out on my own for a day wading some flats or renting a kayak and looking for fish on my own. Any advise for accessable places to wade on my own around Ambergris would be appreciated.

Then the second week I'll be travelling around with my girlfriend and can pretty much go anywhere including Honduras. Just wanted to see if anyone was familiar with Belize and had any suggestions on places up or down the coast or in Honduras that would be a shame to miss. I'd like to do it myself if possible on the second half of the trip to keep cost down. Will probably only realistically get one or two days during the second week, so would like to know if anyone has any suggestions regarding towns up or down the cost where going on my own may be most productive (river outlets, flats, towns, etc.). Also, any suggestions regarding travel spots (towns, ruins, etc.) that should not be missed would be greatly appreciated also. Unfortunately it will not really be a "fishing" trip, but I will get a few days on my own to explore and fish, so any suggestion (fishing or non-fishing related) would be great.

Thanks!

Darrin.Deel
02-24-2009, 01:51 PM
take some pink gotchas, bone crushers and crab cakes, then go walk the flats. ask taxi drivers where there is good fishing

FISHEYE
02-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Go to the saltwater section and scroll down until you find my Belize posts. There should be one from Nov 2008 and Nov 2007. There will be one from Nov 2009 as well.

Randy B
02-26-2009, 05:04 PM
On Ambergris, try Erlindo Graniel. He used to be at 226-2221. He is well known and has been guiding there for many years...he works real hard to find/put you on fish. I've fished with Erlindo and also with a guide from a well known lodge on Ambergris, but I wouldn't use the lodge guide again. Just my two cents.

emerger
03-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll definately look up Erlindo. Is that number you gave a phone number or address? I'll see if I can book with him ahead of time if that's his phone number.

Thanks also for tip on Placencia. I'll be trying to get down there but not sure where in BZ the travels will take us.

Cheers!

Adam Grace
03-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Just wait....Bill should be jumping all over this post he loves it there and has fished there many times.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Belize is a wonderful place to visit. Lots of variety of fish along the coast inside the their great barrier reef. I think there are around 300 small cays in the length of the country of which maybe 20% have people living on them.

Most people stay out on these islands like Ambergris Cay, Cay Caulker, Turneffe Atoll, Lighthouse Reef and Glovers Atoll.

Down south is the small fishing town of Placencia which is a popular place to stay with many good local guides.

You will usually have low winds in August so the flats fishing for Tarpon, Permit and Bonefish could be very good.

I have some articles for fishing there:

http://kiene.com/articles/flyfishingforbabytarpon.htm

http://kiene.com/articles/informationonbelize.shtm

http://kiene.com/articles/wilbauermethodforpermit.shtm

Randy B
03-03-2009, 10:32 AM
That is his home phone number, I still have his business card if you want more info. Jeff from Kiene's recommended Erlindo and another guide, that was booked at the time, I think it was "Listo", when I was there a few years ago.

john
03-04-2009, 07:13 AM
That's the same # I have for Erlindo a/k/a "11". He's an especially good choice if you're looking for some bonus info on flora/fauna/birding. Other excellent guides include Vincent Dawson(501-600-0357), Manuel Azueta(226-2709, 501-606-0318), and Danny Espinoza(contact him through Ruby's). I've fished with all of them over the last 8 years and have absolutely no complaints. If fact I have of 2 of the above booked for 6 days later this month.

medfly
03-27-2009, 07:10 PM
would you recommend just heading to ambergris caye area and staying in any old spot (suggestions please?), and then hiring these guides by the day? would that end up being substantially cheaper than say a week long package at one of the lodges? looking for someone with experience doing willing to provide me some tips, it will be my first trip down and i want to have a good time, but i also want to save as much money as possible to spend on other trips