PDA

View Full Version : Where to go with my son?

Mike O
02-21-2009, 05:42 PM
My kid turns 7 in a couple of weeks. He wants me to take him fishing to use the fly rod I got him last year, and we have never fished (BAD DADDY!!) I plan on practicing between storms, etc, and would like to get him out before the end of March. Someplace with fish?? LOL. All suggestions welcome...don't wanna drive more than 2 hours from Sac...we live in Woodland. He has no waders, so bank fishing is a must.

Phil Synhorst
02-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Do you guys want to get out after trout, bass, or pan fish?

Kurt P
02-21-2009, 08:57 PM
If you are looking for a good starter stream for trout coming up for dry flies, I suggest the North Fork of the Yuba. I know the timing may not be right for you, but if you take your boy up there later this year, you'll both have a blast. Lots of aggressive little rainbows will come up for marginally presented attractor patterns. My kids and I really have a great time every time we go.

Ed Wahl
02-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Before the end of March is a tough one. Especially for getting a youngster onto fish with a fly rod.

The spots that I could give you won't be good until mid April or early May for warm water sure things. For trout you'd have to bump it back to late May early June.

This is a hard time of the year for adults to catch fish. But maybe a good time to spend going over casting basics with your son. Trying to teach those basics while fishing is a very frustating endeavor, try to get him into the groove before hitting a stream.

Hit me up in late May and I'll show you the uber-secret kindergarten stream I've got. I've started quite a few fly fishers there.

Mark it on your calender and send me a note when the time comes.

Ed

Hogan Brown
02-22-2009, 10:43 AM
I have a private bass pond of about 3 acres with HUGE bass, blue gill, and cat fish that eat flies or worms under a bobber. I save it for kids ONLY. But is usually doesn't fish well until the weather gets warmer. It is about an 1 -1.5 hours from Sac.

Phil Synhorst
02-22-2009, 10:54 AM
I have a private bass pond of about 3 acres with HUGE bass, blue gill, and cat fish that eat flies or worms under a bobber. I save it for kids ONLY.

Hey Hogan, I'm just a kid at heart, and if I have a fresh shave I look kinda young for my age. Does that count?:wink:

Hairstacker
02-22-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm just a kid at heart . . . Does that count?

I was thinking exactly the same thing! :unibrow: :lol:

Mike O
02-22-2009, 10:16 PM
thanks for the offers and ideas. I will definately look you guys up later on in the spring. as far as the North Yuba goes...brrrrrr. I love that area in summer though...only been there once but it was really pretty, and the people were great there too. I am thinking of taking him over to putah to see how low the flow is, and maybe hit the area across from the campground below the dam. should be able to get him to roll cast a little there.

I don't know much about panfishing without a minnow or worm, but he has caught a mess of bluegills with his grampa on a small lake in San Luis Obispo County. He has also done pretty well with nightcrawlers on Upper Hat Creek. I would love to find him some bluegills on a fly rod, so thanks for those offers, as well as the kindergarten stream...should be just up his alley.

Thanks again!!

maodiver

Darrin.Deel
02-23-2009, 10:44 AM
I have a private bass pond of about 3 acres with HUGE bass, blue gill, and cat fish that eat flies or worms under a bobber. I save it for kids ONLY. But is usually doesn't fish well until the weather gets warmer. It is about an 1 -1.5 hours from Sac.

I'm a very immature 18 year old...

Hairstacker
02-23-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm a very immature 18 year old...

You forgot to include the word "kid" at the end of that sentence . . . you might want to edit it real quick. :lol:

troutbm
03-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Maodiver, Putah creek is just about as tough as it gets here in norcal. I'd have to say febuary and march can be especialy tough ! But it dose hold some of the biggest resident trout around. Dam, I already have said to much.

metalhead
03-04-2009, 08:12 PM
There are usually blue gills under and near the public launch dock at Lake Berryessa. I am speaking of the free launch near the Turtle Rock Bar and Grill (good egg rolls). The area is on the road to the Spanish Flat campground and launch, which is a fee launch. I have seen kids taking them on bobbers in April through June. Also, Lake Solano a has fishing dock you can fish near the boat rental area. I have seen blue gills, catfish and planted (holdover) trout taken there early in the season. I believe the area is a county park and has an iron ranger and it was $4 to park there last year. The area is patrolled by a park ranger, who does cite for parking without the fee sticker on your dash (envelope tab).

Mike O
03-06-2009, 07:40 PM
I was thinking of Solano, but then I have also heard that Steven's Bridge out by the Woodland Airport has some different species in it as well. May run out there one of these days, because it is close....

troutbm
03-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Theres some decent fishing for warm water species, Bluegill, bass, In the lower portion of putah creek from around winters to davis area. Been awhile since I have been there so I'm not sure about access. I wouldn't eat em, Lots of mercury in that entire watershed.