PDA

View Full Version : Sac trip

Tracy Chimenti
02-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Jet boating on rivers was discussed at length last week. If you read it, you know where I stand. Well, we are going in the area of Mannies RV Park near Anderson in early March and my buddy's bringing his 21-foot North River big-block jet, complete with canopy tower. We were resigned accept an obvious conceptual mis-allignment, so I am bringing the 14-foot jet/john with oars. There will be four of us. Three "gear" guys without felt soles or cleats and one flyfisherman. Do think I can get them converted in one trip?... or will I be sleeping outside under a picnic table while they enjoy the forced-air 14-foot Lance?

someone said something about the darkside?....

Scott V
02-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Why try and convert them, if they would rather fish with spinning or baitcasting gear, let them. How would you feel if they tried to convert you to conventional gear. All you need to do is out fish them with your fly gear and after they get upset about not being able to catch as many fish, kindly offer them some fly gear as your are evilishly laughing inside. I started with conventional gear and will continue to use it, but I do spend 99% of my time fly fishing.

Have fun and post lots of pics.

luckyt
02-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Tracy, I run an 18 foot jetcraft with a 115 outboard jet on the river. I will not run the river if below 6,000 cfs because the river is too thin. I don't know your experience on the river but the flows are around 3,200.

I drift the river and fly fish with no problems at higher water levels. Too low for me now. Sorry if you know all this already. Tom

Tracy Chimenti
02-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Wait till he goes for the launch.

Dustin Revel
02-20-2009, 12:28 AM
i've been on the river many times in a 21 foot jet with a 6.0L at low flows (i'm not sure the exact flows, but somewhere around 4500) its not a problem if your boat is quick to get on plane. if the boat is overloaded and struggles to get on plane you may run into some trouble depending on your knowledge of the river.

Darrin.Deel
02-20-2009, 09:18 AM
at 3,750 i've ran in a 22' jet craft with a 496 big block. Not trying to damper your fun, but don't run that big boat unless you know the river.

Tracy Chimenti
02-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Well, I'll be in a little 270-pound john boat with a 40 HP Pump. I guess I'll just ask what way the big boats going and go the other. This is why I love small boats.