PDA

View Full Version : Looking for answers

ghw
02-15-2009, 02:42 PM
I am brand new to fly fishing, have had only one lesson. For my second lesson
my instructor wants me to get a few flies. I have to get some PMD,s and BWO
type flies. My question is, what does PMD and BWO stand for?

Ed Wahl
02-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi ghw. Those are abbreviations for two types of mayflies,Pale Morning Dun and Blue Winged Olive.

Check with Tony at Johnsons Bait and Tackle in Yuba City, he should be able to hook you up.

Ed

Darian
02-15-2009, 03:13 PM
The letters PMD stand for Pale Morning Dun and BWO stands for Blue Winged Olive. They're both mayfly patterns and the naturals are available on many creeks/rivers/streams throughout this area. 8)

Since you're just starting out, I'd like to recommend that you buy a book that will give you some of this type info. The book is titled, FISH FOOD, A Fly Fishers Guide to Bugs and Bait. The author is Ralph Cutter. It's a paperback and has around 200 pages in it. Not too much to begin with but contains a lot of good info that a beginner will find very useful.

Sounds like you're on the right track.... :D

ghw
02-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi ED;
Thank you for the info, I will talk to Tony. I don't think this will be the end of my questions.

Phil Synhorst
02-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi ghw....welcome to the board. If I may be so bold as to piggy back off Darian's idea, another good read for beginners is the Curtis Creek Manifesto by Sheridan Anderson. It's short, and light hearted.

ghw
02-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Darian: Thank you for answering my question so fast, I will go out and get the book. I have a feeling I will be buying lots of books in the future.

ghw
02-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Phil: Thank you for the info, it looks like I better add a bookshelf right above my fly rod rack. I am looking forward to filling it up.

huntindog
02-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi ED;
Thank you for the info, I will talk to Tony. I don't think this will be the end of my questions.

I have been fly fishing for 35 years and I still have tons of questions

Hairstacker
02-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Another book I would heartily recommend is Dave Hughes' "Handbook of Hatches." Here's a review of it I posted on this board:

http://kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5793

Hairstacker
02-15-2009, 05:21 PM
By the way, when you go to buy these PMD and BWO flies, make sure you also get advice on what size(s) to get. For catching trout keying on mayfly adults, the size of the artificial fly is even more important than the particular fly pattern you choose to imitate these mayflies with.

Kurt P
02-15-2009, 06:03 PM
ghw,
I'm still learning, too, and find that being able to SEE my fly on the water is a big part of improving my learning curve. Being able to watch your fly and see how your fly line and leader are effecting its drift is key in learning how to 'mend' your line. ('Mend' just means repositioning your fly line as it's floating on the water to minimize the drag it puts on your fly--a key to fly fishing that I am still working to get the hang of).
To that end I would recommend getting a few BWO and PMD 'parachute' patterns. That means that the fly is tied with a tuft of material sticking up above the main fly--I especially like the highly visible fluorescent colored parachutes. The more you fish, the better your eye will get at seeing your fly, but I still use the parachute patterns when the fish are eating smaller bugs or if I'm fishing in rough water.
Welcome to the sport and to the forum, your going to have a blast.
Kurt

Bryan Morgan
02-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Another book that is a must have is Hatch guide for western streams by Jim Schollmeyer. It lists Mayflies, Stone Flies, Caddis Flies, and although a little older, some of their imitations.

Dave Neal
02-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Yeah, you should build that bookshelf you talked about...reading about fly fishing and actually fly fishing go together like Peanut butter and jam.

I second all the books mentioned, especially Ralph Cutter's FISH FOOD.

When you make it into the Sacramento area, Kiene's Fly Shop has a great book selection.

Chris Evison
02-16-2009, 12:23 PM
A book that I really like is- Hatch Guide For Western Streams- by Jim Schollmeyer. Small and concise. Lots of info and pictures easy to use and small enough to carry on stream if you want. As a guide I show this book to alot of people and most go out and buy it!

Chris