PDA

View Full Version : new member

jrib
02-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Hello fellas, I am new to this board and new to fly fishing. As a youngster I bait and lure fished the local rivers in the summers. I am looking forward to learning how to fly fish the local and non local rivers. I can cast decent but I'm not so good at presentation and at knowing what to use and when. I tried Rucky Chucky on the Amer last summer but didn't do so well. I almost caught a rafter though! I never saw rafters there in the old days. I am really interested in hiking/camping into semi remote areas where the crowds are not present. A couple of winters ago I took a survival class through the P.C. Search and Rescue. I hiked into Flordice River off Eagle Lakes Rd and Hwy 80. I spent the night (cold winter night) on the ground next to the river. It was a beautiful stretch of river that looked like it would be very promising to fly fish. Have any of you fished that area? Is it worth going back to in the spring?

I enjoy reading and learning from the members of this board. I am always looking for advice/tips. Any recomendations on a local guide/teacher to get me started would be appreciated.

Darian
02-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Been many years since I hiked in there to fish.... Fordyce was described in detail in one of the late Jim Freeman's books. :) For newby's, it's a very good place to fish a dry fly but only for limited periods of time. Too early and the snow is so deep the hike in isn't worth the effort (waters too high/cold). Too late and the water is so low and warm the fish won't bite. It was always best for me around the end of June. I liked to use simple dries like a Humpy or Elk Hair Caddis in sizes 12 to 14. Short casts around brushy holes (pot shooting). :smirk:

Fordyce Lake was/is used to generate power. So, the creek flows can vary greatly from one day to the next and become very low in the fall. There's a bridge where the hiking trail crosses the creek. I've always fished upstream from that bridge. Downstream the gradient increases and the flow becomes a cascade. Upstream there's a mix of rocky, moving water and slower sections that had some fairly large Trout in them. The water was very clear most of the time. 8)

The trail in to Eagle Lakes doubles as a 4WD trail for clubs. It gets chewed up after the first club run. The 4WD'ers head north near Eagle Lakes and the rest of the hike is pleasant. From the time it warms up and the snow melts until the first snow flies, it's Rattle Snake country. So, watch out. :eek:

Back when I was doing some backpacking/fishing, Fordyce Creek was one of my favorite places to fish. :D :D

Hairstacker
02-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Hi jrib! I've never fished Fordyce but just wanted to welcome you aboard, good to have you here!

Ed Wahl
02-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Welcome to our little board jrib.

I'm also a big fan of the wild, secluded places and the fish that live there. You've got plenty of time to work on your skills before the high country opens up.

How are you set gear wise? Got waders to go with that 'toon?

There are quite a few opportunities in the low elevation lakes for planters right now. Sure they're planters, but it's still a chance to work on your techniques and get used to working different kinds of flies.

There are also a couple of clubs locally where you can score all the education you could possibly want.

I fished Ruck-a-Chucky once with the same results.
Ed

Tracy Chimenti
02-14-2009, 07:11 PM
... just a word to the wise... don't get me started on Nuclear power, and don't get either Darian and I going on water issues. We lose it. We need to go fishing and take a break.

jrib
02-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the welcome and helpfull info. Ed, Yes I have waders etc. What lower level lakes are you referring to? Also, I once looked into the club in Granite Bay but it seems that they meet on a night that I usually have to work. I will check that again. I live in Loomis.

David Lee
02-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Welcome !!

Here's the link - http://www.gbflycasters.org/

David

Ed Wahl
02-15-2009, 10:42 AM
I was thinking of Rancho Seco Lake, Lake Amador, Pardee, and the spot at Comanche they call the trout pond.They all have trout plants and the fish are usually shallow enough to access with fly gear.

There's also Sly Park Reservoir off of hwy 50.

You can look back through the 'Stillwater' section to see a bunch of posts and pics.

Not sure when the next trout derby will be held at Rancho Seco, but that's the time to be out there.

Jrib, I believe I met your three brothers, the skinny one, Sparerib, and the heavy set Porkrib. And the adorable little Babybackrib.:lol:
sorry, just couldn't let it go.

Ed

Tracy Chimenti
02-15-2009, 10:53 AM
... you're a sick man, Eddy.

wjorg
02-15-2009, 11:12 AM
I was told it was Ruck a Chucky but it was actually Cherokee Bar on the MF American. My buddy pulled a twenty-something inch trout out of it between the rafters. Go figure.

Welcome aboard!