PDA

View Full Version : tail feathers/materials

emerger
02-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Hey all,
Just wondering what kind of feathers or synthetics you like to use for dry fly tails. Interested in tying duns that stay on top as well as cripple styles that sink the tail but break the surface with the thorax/compara wing. Come to think of it, any suggestion for nymph tails is welcome too. Dries I usually use deer or moose hair and emergers standard pheasant tails seem to break the surface. Nymphs usually use pheasant tails or goose biots, but would like to see what you knowlegable folks use in addition to these.
Cheers

Hairstacker
02-13-2009, 10:06 AM
For certain patterns, like the parachute Adams, I use moose as well. But for a lot of duns, I prefer using coq de leon feathers. I like them because they are very stiff and very traditional from the standpoint of being hackle -- perfect replacement for spade hackle feathers. I also like the fact many of them are quite buggy looking -- I have a bunch of different pardos that I like to pull out just to enjoy looking at them because they are so nicely marked. They are a little pricey though.

Of course, for me, some tails are dictated by the pattern -- for example, I don't tie trudes or Royal Coachmans with anything other than golden pheasant tips. Just wouldn't look right to me to do otherwise.

For nymphs, I just use whatever the pattern calls for.

Darian
02-13-2009, 11:34 AM
In addition to those mentioned by Mike, I've used Goose biots for several different wet patterns, buck and calf tail for dry and wet patterns. I usually use what a particular recipe calls for. I've used many different types of synthetics. :D

JD
02-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Emerger:

Hairstackers advice is spot on. The Whiting tailing packs, which is Coq de Leon, is one of the best products out there, if you are looking for nice stiff dry fly tailing feathers. The only problem is that it is somewhat expensive and VERY hard to find (Bill: hint, hint, hint). Moose and deer works well but you just can't get as subtle an effect as with feathers.

For emergers, a zlon shuck or pheasant tail are my favorites. Anything would work of course but I like how easy zlon is to work with.

For nymphs, tail material really serves no purpose other than for appearance, so almost anything will work. Like Darian, I'm usually guided by a pattern although looking at my box, pheasant tail and goose biots are probably the most prevalent material used.

Mike R
02-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Been tying so many steelhead flies I sorta forgot what to use for trout flies...

For smallish dries, especially spinners, I've always like Microfibbetts. They are cheap, easy to use and all the same. No need to search for the right feather. Z-lon is hard to beat for emergers. Gotta go with pheasant tail and biots for nymphs. Also, don't forget about mallard flank as well for a real buggy look.

Mike

Bob Scheidt
02-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Last month I got a Whiting Coq de Leon saddle, medium pardo. This particular saddle is very heavily speckled, absolutely gorgeous. I asked for one, very heavily speckled and I got exactly that. It is also somewhat dark on the top side and light on the bottom. typical of many feathers.

Moose or elk will float a dry very well. I use moose and elk on sizes 16 and larger.

One of the posts above mentioned mallard flank for subsurface. I really like that too, and now you can get mallard flank dyed in quite a few colors.

I will try to remember to bring the Whiting saddle to Kiene's expo to show you.

Bob Scheidt

emerger
02-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys, sounds like the Coq De Leon is the ticket. Appreciate the input.
Cheers

Terry Thomas
02-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Bob Quigley was one of the first out this way to develop "cripple" patterns. He has done a pretty good job using maribou for tailing material.