PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth and Bishop area fishing

Dave Neal
02-10-2009, 11:17 AM
We have experienced some much needed weather around Mammoth Lakes this week. Several feet of snow has fallen on Mammoth Mtn. and a few inches out at Hot Creek and Upper Owens. Access to both of these streams may be compromised. We're looking at unsettled weather the rest of the week with cold temps and hopefully more snow.

Hot Creek water temps are in the low 50's. Midges are very active and mayfly hatches are beginning but sporadic most days. Bwo's will get more active later this month. Please show some restraint on the spawners in the easily accessed Interpretive Area. They are producing our future wild trout, which we all covet! There can be great dry fly fishing if you sniff out working fish. You may not see a lot of bwo duns but the fish seem to, and they are keyed in on them.

Upper Owens has been fishing decent. Water temps are in the low 50's...gotta love spring fed creeks at 7,000 feet, eh? There are a lot of hatchery rainbows in the system, holdovers from summer. These fish provide great opportunities for kids. Same dealio as Hot Creek as far as hatches. Lots of midges. One could pull a streamer, too.

The Lower Owens is my favorite stream this time of year! Air temps will be 20 degrees warmer than Mammoth area...at 4,000 feet lower in altitude in just a 39 mile distance...this stream is a great get-away right now. Water temps are still in the low 40's. Crowley Lake is still a frozen pond. The fish are pretty active, but will get more so in the coming weeks. There are solid hatches of midges and mayflies right now. 11-3pm is prime time. Late Feb-April are the best months on this tailwater river.

If any of you are planning a trip over the hills, feel free to PM/email me. I would be happy to help you in any way I can.

I'll try and add some pics later...need too figure that one out, still.

Thanks,

Dave