PDA

View Full Version : Solitude Stonefly Nymph

Fats
02-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Anybody have an idea of what goes into one?

East Bay Ed
02-08-2009, 09:11 PM
I did a quick google search because I had never heard of a Solitude Stonefly Nymph. Only one shop specifically named it, but that sites fly section is under construction. I found Solitude nymphs. Hope that helps. Follow this link:

http://www.blackheronflyfishing.com/products-flies-solitudenymph.html

Fats
02-08-2009, 10:08 PM
I did a quick google search because I had never heard of a Solitude Stonefly Nymph. Only one shop specifically named it, but that sites fly section is under construction. I found Solitude nymphs. Hope that helps. Follow this link:

http://www.blackheronflyfishing.com/products-flies-solitudenymph.html

I did the same search... I was bummed the other site was under construction. All I need is a picture and I should be able to figure it out. I was talking to a steelhead guide today and this is one of his hot bugs, and of course... I can't find it.

Anybody else been fishing up North come across this beast?

dtp916
02-09-2009, 02:21 AM
Solitude Tungsten Golden Stone.

That is an excellent pattern, Fats.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-09-2009, 08:50 AM
We have the Solitude catalog at the shop that probably has photos?

Here is their web site:

http://www.solitudefly.com/category.aspx?species=Stone+Flies

Fats
02-09-2009, 09:31 AM
We have the Solitude catalog at the shop that probably has photos?

Here is their web site:

http://www.solitudefly.com/category.aspx?species=Stone+Flies

I'm guessing that that is the critter. I'll tie some up this week and then do a comparison when I get up North...

It looks like it will be easy enough to tie up...

Thanks for the Info!

Scott V
02-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Solitude Tungsten Golden Stone.

That is an excellent pattern, Fats.

What no picture, your alot of help James, thanks for nothing.:D

Fats
02-09-2009, 10:05 AM

Hey... I'll take a glowing endorsement any day!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fats
02-09-2009, 04:15 PM
OK FWIW... that is not the pattern. I just picked one up at the store for a pattern fly. I'll post up some pics in a bit, but the fly is more complicated than this one. I should have known better.

dtp916
02-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Montana Fly has sick stones if you wanna do the fancy bug thing. I got some I just stare at, they are too perfect to fish!

dtp916
02-10-2009, 11:09 AM

Next time you got a fish on, I am going to rip out your endocrine system!

JD
02-10-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm assuming you mean this critter? It has a tungsten bead, turkey biot antennae and tail, ostrich herl tag, turkey biot abdomen, medallion sheeting/swiss straw wing case, ostrich herl thorax, and tan/light brown variegated superfloss legs. I believe the underbody is weighted with either lead wire or lead tape ( I’ve yet to take on apart to see which) which gives it that nice taper. The Solitude ones are tied on something like a TMC200 but you’d be better off using a heavier hook if you are going after steelhead (TMC5262 upsized or TMC5263). You’d have to also make your own variegated superfloss (at least I’ve never found any) or substitute barred silicone legs.

For the number of these I use a year versus the time they take to tie, I buy them but your mileage may vary. They've never really produced that well for me but I know guides who swear by them and won't fish anything else.

Fats
02-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm assuming you mean this critter? It has a tungsten bead, turkey biot antennae and tail, ostrich herl tag, turkey biot abdomen, medallion sheeting/swiss straw wing case, ostrich herl thorax, and tan/light brown variegated superfloss legs. I believe the underbody is weighted with either lead wire or lead tape ( I’ve yet to take on apart to see which) which gives it that nice taper. The Solitude ones are tied on something like a TMC200 but you’d be better off using a heavier hook if you are going after steelhead (TMC5262 upsized or TMC5263). You’d have to also make your own variegated superfloss (at least I’ve never found any) or substitute barred silicone legs.

For the number of these I use a year versus the time they take to tie, I buy them but your mileage may vary. They've never really produced that well for me but I know guides who swear by them and won't fish anything else.

That's the one... I'm going to see if I can tie a couple up and try to find a logical short cut... I tend to be reductionist in nature when it come to steelhead nymphs...