PDA

View Full Version : ultimate trout dry fly collection

jburge
02-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Given the incredible wealth of knowledge floating around on this board, I have a question (really kind of a survey thing). If you were to pick your top 10 favorite trout dry flies for the California Sierras, what would they be?

My purpose for asking is twofold: 1) As an ultralight backpacker, I think it'd be really cool to put together the best minimalist fly box for summer trips in the Sierras, and 2) I think it'd be a lot of fun as a newbie fly tier to learn how to tie 'em all.

You don't have to name 10, but if you want to, feel free. I'd be glad to collect the submissions and post the list after a couple of weeks and people have had time to respond.

Thanks!

charles
02-08-2009, 07:11 PM
I am not the most expieranced fly fisherman, especially in the sierras. But the few times I have been I have always caught fish on elk hair caddis. I would take them in a couple of colors and sizes. I never go fishing without an assortment elk hair caddis. I think I have caught almost every freshwater species of fish on this fly. I have caught panfish, smallmouth, smaller largmouth, trout and even half-pounders on elk hairs.
Hope this helps,
Charles

Bob Scheidt
02-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Ten favorite dry flies, Hmmm. I'll try.

1. Black flying ant
2. Parachute Adams
3. Stimulator, orange, olive, yellow
4. Trude, royal or an Adams trude
5. Hi Viz parachute, I tie a bunch of generic colors, use flourescent orange or something bright for the wing.
6. Elk hair caddis
7. Parachute black gnat
8. Western coachman
9. Humpy, red, yellow, black, green. orange, brown
10. Parachute blue dun

I fish mostly attractors. Good fun post!
Bob

Ed Wahl
02-08-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm with Charles on the Elk Hair Caddis, never hit the Sierras without an assortment of sizes and colors. More sizes than colors though.

You should also carry some ant patterns, trout throughout the range eat them every day.
Cutter's Perfect Ant is as good as any.

A couple of 'Hoppers in there too, just in case.

I've known a couple of fishermen, good ones at that, that would use only one pattern. Down in Calaveras county it was a Grey Hackle Peacock and farther north it was a red Humpy. Both of these guys could out fish me quite nicely.
Ed

Charlie Gonzales
02-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Ed got my two favorites, ants and hoppers, or you could replace the hopper with a madamX. Then Adams and humpies, maybe some beetles. Have fun.

SteelieD
02-08-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm tool lazy to think of ten right now but if I could only pick two... Kaufmann's Stimi (in a few colors) and Parachute Adams. Several sizes.

bigtj
02-08-2009, 10:32 PM
1. ec caddis
2. ec caddis
3. ec caddis
4. ec caddis
5. ec caddis
6. ec caddis
7. ec caddis
8. ec caddis
9. ec caddis
10. ec caddis

dtp916
02-09-2009, 02:23 AM
1. ec caddis
2. ec caddis
3. ec caddis
4. ec caddis
5. ec caddis
6. ec caddis
7. ec caddis
8. ec caddis
9. ec caddis
10. ec caddis

Word. Maybe some ants too.

jburge
02-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Ha! The ultimate minimalist box. That's funny bigtj.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Yes, there is a big following for the EC Caddis.....

I can talk about size here.

#14 is the biggest seller with #16 maybe second and #12 in third place in standard dries.

The biggest normal dry is a Hexagenia Mayfly in #6 and the smallest are Tricos Mayfly Spinners in size #22.

Nymphs are the same range as dries.....#14 then 16 the 12....biggest is #2 Stonefly nymph and smallest are around #22.

In Woolly Buggers it is 8, 10 and 12......average sizes.

akfishgyd
02-09-2009, 09:41 AM
how 'bout the renegade and the spruce trude ? you guys are giving me some great ideas! thanks for starting this thread ..

Scott V
02-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Stimulator with orange legs. Or as so many have told me and it turns out to be pretty true "it's the sierra's, anything will work". But my preference is to throw stimulators with orange legs in a size 12 or 14. The bigger they are the easier it is to see for me.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-09-2009, 11:27 PM
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Everyone has a few old favorites that they fish with confidence.

When I started selling flies in a sporting goods store in the 1970 many of today's flies did not exist.

In fact many of the flies we had then are not around anymore.

We fished the standard upright Adams dry fly then plus the Light Cahill.

The Humpy was big as was the Irresistible. Royal Wulff was big too.

The 'fore-n-aft' flies were many with the Renegade and Buzz Hackle at the top. I think the Bivisables all died?

Dave Neal
02-10-2009, 10:48 AM
I can't resist throwing in my .02

1. Kaufmann's Stimulator: orange, yellow & tan #16-10
2. Cutter's EC Caddis: olive, tan #18-14
3. Traditional Adams (tied "Catskill style" ie. horizontal hackle): #22-14
4. Parachute Adams (with hi-vis post): #22-12
5. Black Ant (tied however you like it): #16-14
6. Comparadun: olive, tan/cahill #18-14
7. Elk Hair Caddis: olive, tan, grey #18-14
8. Lawson's Hemingway Caddis: #20-16
9. Humpy: red, yellow #16-14
10. Griffith's Gnat: #22-16

You can certainly simplify this by going with nothing but: Stimi's, EC Caddis, ants, Griffith's Gnat, Adams, and Comparaduns in a few common mayfly colors.

My Sierra "frontcountry" fly box is a heavy chest pack...my "backcountry" fly box is just that - one fly box.

Ben Kobrin
02-10-2009, 04:50 PM
I think choosing a pattern comes down to confidence. Take any fly from any of the already submitted lists, and if that is the fly that you have confidence in then it will work. As has already been said, backcountry fish are not all that picky. The first fish that I caught was on a backpacking trip into the Emigrant Wilderness and it was fooled by a Yellow Humpy. To this day, it is the first fly that I will tie on while in the Sierras. Some would say that my obsession with the Humpy has gone a bit far. I'll let you be the judge.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/lazychuck1/Humpster.jpg

Garrett S
02-11-2009, 07:49 AM
elk hair caddiss

Jeff C.
02-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Parachute Adams, Elk Hair Caddis and EC Caddis

Mik
02-11-2009, 02:33 PM
I love this question. These 5 will assure you a fish in the Sierra's.

#1 Black Ant----will catch fish all day on an ant
#2 Parachut Adams----back up in case ant fails
#3 Stimulator---hot summer heat=hoppers
#4 EHC---just because
#5 Mosquito---there seems to be an abundance unfortunately

Ed Wahl
02-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Wow Mik, for the most part that's my backpack box.

I will admit though, that when fishing creeks and small streams up high I usually never change from whatever I started with. That is, unless I've lost it in a tree.

Admit it, it happens.

For lakes, well, let's just say the list is a bit longer.

Ed

jburge
02-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Hey Wooly Bugger,
Anybody that can open a Guinness from their bumper, has to know what they're doing. Gotta love it.

Ed Wahl
02-13-2009, 07:37 PM
WB, is that a real functional bottle opener?:shock:

Spill it man, where can I get one?

That's the coolest fishing truck device I've seen yet.

I've always had to search around for the "hidden" openers, you know the ones, door and tailgate latches, hinges, bumper supports, etc.

I've considered finding an old wall mounted opener and just bolting it on somewhere.

Ed

Ben Kobrin
02-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Ed...

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/lazychuck1/Humpster-1.jpg

I often get an approving nod of the head from guys that see it while their wives just roll their eyes. I guess a bottle opener built into your car doesn't meet the approval of the fairer sex? Any-who....here's the process:

1. Get the bottle opener (I got mine at BevMo)
2. Drill the appropriate holes in a small chunk of metal (maybe 2"X3", 1/4" thick). These holes will eventually be used to bolt on the opener.
3. Weld this metal piece to one of the six sides of the hex-bolt that you use to hold on your hitch ball.
4. Paint it to match the color of your fishing truck (very important step, as you don't want it to look tacky).
5. Bolt the opener to your finishied product and enjoy a beer.

It may be a lot of work just for a bottle opener, but I believe it raises the "cool factor" of my fishing truck a full point, maybe a point-and-a-half. And it goes without saying that it helps me catch more fish.

-Ben

Rich Leonetti
02-17-2009, 10:42 PM
What I need to know is where the hell did you get that leboski abide sticker

Ben Kobrin
02-17-2009, 11:55 PM
You guys want all my secrets!

Adam Grace
02-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Nice bottle opener Ben.

As far as my favorite Sierra dry fly selection goes:

1. Black Foam Ant
2. Parachute Adams
3. Elk Hair Caddis
4. Mosquito
5. Stimulator
6. Small Grasshopper
7. Yellow Humpy
8. Royal Wulff
9. Griffiths Gnat
10. Light Cahill

Wow as I look over this list, I notice that almost every fly on it is on the list for the top sold flies for almost any California fly shop. I guess that these flies are classics for a very good reason, they imitate almost every major insect that trout feed on.

Does anyone think that I should remove a fly or flies off off this list? Or add a better fly?

Ben Kobrin
02-18-2009, 10:06 AM

1. Black Foam Ant
2. Parachute Adams
3. Elk Hair Caddis
4. Mosquito
5. Stimulator
6. Small Grasshopper
7. Yellow Humpy
8. Royal Wulff
9. Griffiths Gnat
10. Light Cahill

Adam...best list so far.

IronMtn
02-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Dave's Hopper with a bird's nest dropper.

davkrat
02-20-2009, 04:58 PM
1. Kratville Caddis - all the time prospecting fly, dry/dropper, etc.
2. drowned wing emerger (doesn't have a name) for BWO hatches.

Darrin.Deel
02-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Nice bottle opener Ben.

1. Black Foam Ant
2. Parachute Adams
3. Elk Hair Caddis
4. Mosquito
5. Stimulator
6. Small Grasshopper
7. Yellow Humpy
8. Royal Wulff
9. Griffiths Gnat
10. Light Cahill

I would just replace the griffiths gnat with a little BWO size 16

Don Powell
02-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Having been smitten by this sport for more decades than I care to make public, there is one dry fly that has worked incredibly well in WV, PA, VA, MD, CO, CA, MT, WA, OR and AK...the Ginger Quill in size 14, with #2 being a Quill Gordon. #3 is a light Cahill, #4 Adams, #5 EHC, and #6 an orange body Stimulator simulating salmonflies in June and October caddis in the fall. When they are sipping and selective the Ginger Quill has produced most often for me, and when they are maniacal, in spring and fall, the orange Stimi...
Confidence, and what the angler believes will work, is always going to be #1 because you fish that fly the most, but, you owe it to yourself to try the Ginger Quill.
When all else fails, match the hatch...carry the six flies I like and you won't go home with "skunk" stories...all fish like at least one of them on any given day!

Don Powell
02-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Forgot the yellow body PMD, "killer" for the 11:00 AM dry fly action in No. Cal and So. OR!

jburge
02-22-2009, 03:01 PM
OK, there's nothing formal about it, but it's certainly fun to look at the input for the list of your top ten favorite trout dry flies for the Sierras. Before counting down, thanks to everyone who participated:

charles
bob scheidt
ed wahl
charlie gonzales
steelied
bigtj
dtp916
akfishgyd
scott v
bill kiene
dave neal
woolybugger
guppy
jeff c
mik
adam grace
ironmtn
davkrat
darrin.deel
don powell

So, counting down the votes:

10. griffith's gnat and hopper - tied with 2 each
9. kaufmann stimulator and mosquito - also tied with 2 each
8. renegade and royal wulff - also tied with 2 each
7. light cahill - 3
6. adams and e/c caddis - tied with 4 each (sorry bigtj, but the 10 e/c caddis could only count for one)
5. stimulator - 5
4. parachute adams - 6
3. ant and humpy - tied with 7 each (includes foam ant and flying ant)
2. elk hair caddis - 9
1. and the number one way to catch more fish... bumper mounted beer bottle opener

All the other single vote candidates are:

adams trude
beetle
bivisible
buzz hackle
bwo
comparadun
dave's hopper (w/bird's nest dropper)
drowned wing emerger (no name)
ginger quill
grasshopper
grey hackle peacock
hi viz parachute
irresistible
kratville caddis
lawson's hemingway caddis
madam x
parachute black gnat
parachute blue dun
pmd
quill gordon
royal trude
spruce trude
western coachman

As far as colors go, here's the popular list. Numbers indicate more than one vote:

comparadun olive
comparadun tan/cahill
e/c caddis olive
e/c caddis tan
humpy black
humpy brown
humpy green
humpy orange
humpy red - 3
humpy yellow - 4
kaufmann stimulator orange
kaufmann stimulator tan
kaufmann stimulator yellow
stimulator olive
stimulator orange - 2
stimulator yellow
stimulator w/orange legs

Thanks! What a blast. Who's ready for summer in the high country?

Ed Wahl
02-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Jeez jb, that little survey of yours turned into a rather important list. Nice job. 8-)

I wonder how many times new fly fishers walk into a shop and ask "what kind of flies do I need for the Sierras?".

Perhaps a good enough list for Bill to add as a 'sticky' to the board?:-k

I think I'll look at that list as a challenge, since this is some fine fly tying weather we're having. I'm thinking maybe a half dozen of each for this summer. That should set me up for anything.

'course, thats after I finish up the Kauffman's Dragons and Dragon Buggers that David and Ken got me all fired up on.:smirk:

Ed

Phil Synhorst
02-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Who's ready for summer in the high country?

I've been ready for that since the morning after last years final trip, .........late September??

jburge
02-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Ed, yeah, I guess I kinda went overboard. I have a spreadsheet and database file. That's what happens when obsessive compulsive meets fly-fishing.

I'm with you too on the tying. I've already started by tying up a half-dozen each of some renegades and e/c caddis. The combination of looking at all these great flies and re-reading Cutter's Sierra Trout Guide has me really itching for summer at altitude.

Hairstacker
02-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Ed, yeah, I guess I kinda went overboard. I have a spreadsheet and database file. That's what happens when obsessive compulsive meets fly-fishing.

I dont' think so at all -- as Ed noted, I think you've done a great service! Your compilation and everyone's comments make this a pretty valuable thread in my opinion. Great job!

Mik
02-27-2009, 05:20 PM
All I need is the bumper mounted beer bottle opener and I am set.

Hairstacker
02-27-2009, 05:26 PM
All I need is the bumper mounted beer bottle opener and I am set.

Yeah, me too. I'm just trying to figure out how to mount it on my Civic. :lol:

Kevin Goding
03-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Those lists look pretty convincing to me. My two cents are pretty generalized though. In the summer time during afternoon I would just go with:

1: Terrestrial pattern
A: Grasshopper (For smaller fish, use a size 12-14 hook with extended body fly)
B: Beetle
C: Ant
*** I've caught more trout on a grey hackle peacock than anything, whether or not I'd
call it a dry fly is debateable. You could always tie it "dry" style.

2: For Hatches
A: Adams
B: Elk hair caddis, although I prefer Goddard's
C: Humpies
D: Light Cahill (Again never leave home without one)

3: Indicator flies
A: Royal Coachmen, or anything similar, usually smaller sizes.
*** Been on multiple backpack trips to the Sierras where a coachmen was all you needed.
Even on lakes.

SHigSpeed
03-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Should the "pelican" be added to the collection? :)

See 1:13 for the topwater take of the year!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8c5_1235282814

_SHig

k.hanley
03-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Very well done JB. Solid final list. I appreciate your assembly of the data.

My favorite dryfly action is usually..............
with tiny hoppers and a black ant. I also enjoy using a parachute adams and irresistable (sp?). Throw in a couple of extended furled patterns and I'm quite content.

The High Sierra is a sublime kingdom. We're lucky to have it as "homebase."
Cheers, Ken