PDA

View Full Version : KDM Rat

Cole_TX
02-07-2009, 07:07 PM
I know there is a thread on here about the fly, but it is locked so I cant pose my question asking about hook sizes.

Has anyone tied one? What hook sizes are you using?

I know in the recipe it uses Mustad 34011, has anyone experimented with something else?

Darian
02-07-2009, 11:21 PM
This pattern was originated by Capt. Kevin Doran who guides on the Delta here in Calif.... He is, also, a member of this BB and has a website (which I can't recall the name of right now). You can look up his website/contact info in the member list. The pattern is probably shown on the website.

I've tried a few variations of the pattern using a 60 degree jig hook in size 3/0. Still learning how to weight the fly correctly for use in heavy cover (mats). Not sure a jig hook is necessary, tho. Not much to say about so far as I haven't really had a chance to fish it for a while. Looks great, tho. :D :D

Jay Murakoshi
02-09-2009, 06:42 PM
I've tied them on the Dai Ichi 2461.

Jay

KD
02-11-2009, 09:24 PM
It is tied with a mustad 34011 in 3/0 & 4/0 size. Jig hooks are not a good style hook for this fly as the angle of the line pull on the hook will tend to drive it into the surface of the mat. These hooks need to be sharpened very,very, well but it is still my choice of hook for the pattern.

I am working on getting info up on my website showing some tying tips. In the meantime if you have any questions that i can help with you can ask them here(i drop in occasionally)or email me @ capt.kev@deltaadventures.com

Cole_TX
02-11-2009, 09:51 PM
The man himself, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

I am going to tie some up and I know they will be killer here in Texas!

Are you liking the UV Knot Sence? How does it add weight to the fly?

KD
02-11-2009, 10:36 PM
I now use UV curable to attach the legs then apply epoxy as required. I have always tied these by attaching the legs separately. The UV curable product makes this very fast.

Have fun with it!

KD