PDA

View Full Version : Lanyards.....

bonneville54
02-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Who uses one?

Are they just for the minimalists among us?

Admittedly, I tend to carry way too much stuff in my vest, flies I'll never use that day, 3 kinds of floatant, a sandwich, a beer, and so on. Geez, all these pockets shouldn't be empty!

So....I've seen single lanyards, lanyards with backpacks, with fanny packs. With just a lanyard, does this mean no net? Are there lanyards for nets? What do you carry on them? Tippet, small fly box, nippers??

Just wondering....

Tracy Chimenti
02-06-2009, 11:31 AM
I've tried lanyards several times and always come away disgusted. The most disturbing thing to me is when a gorgeous throw is unfurling way back into a cove and a coil of line grabs the clippers and stops the whole damn thing in mid-air! I know, I should have all that line in my hand, but hey, I get lazy! So while my clippers and hemos might be attached to seven-strand, I keep them tucked away in a pocket so this doesn't happen. I can't stand stuff hanging and swinging!

jblack
02-06-2009, 12:18 PM
I have one. I love it when in a boat and I don't want to wear my vest. Every once in while I will run into Tracy's "hangman's noose" issue. However it is great when you don't need to carry a lot of stuff. Backpacking or in the boat are when I fid it most useful.

jayclarkflyfishing
02-06-2009, 01:30 PM
I use a lanyard and love it.I keep it very simple;nippers and forceps and my licence.I carry a fly box and tippet,bobbers/baloons,split shot,and a measuring tape inthe pockets on my wading jacket or shirt in warmer weather.I also use a fanny pack if I need to carry more than one fly box and a backpack with a hydration bladder if I am hiking any distance from my vehicle.

Jay

pgw
02-06-2009, 01:44 PM
I do...words that can get guys in trouble.

I started using a lanyard when I was guiding in AK, got used to having the stuff there and now I'm on my 3rd lanyard since 1989.

snips,
hook hone,
Little LED light,
thing that looks like a 1/2 a ball point pen with a magnet on the tip,
Dave's Bug Float (water & seasonal specific),
forceps (water & season specific)

Lanyards keep the stuff I always need in/on one same place regardless of the water and season, whether or not I'm using a vest, wading or in a boat, after trout, steelhead, or saltwater fish.

One of them even had a little clip thingy to keep the lanyard attached to my shirt to keep it from swinging (read: catching on stuff and/or making that anoying "clinking" noise).

Paul

dbrosier
02-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Who uses one?

Are they just for the minimalists among us? ....

I use a lanyard for multi-discipline tools. On my lanyard are: my license, nippers, hemos on a tape measure zinger, and a very small clock.

I always wear my lanyard, whether I'm also wearing a vest and stalking trout, wearing no vest and hucking t14 at stripers, or carrying one fly box and swinging my spey for steel on the American.

The tools I always need are on the lanyard, the gear around it changes.

Darian
02-06-2009, 10:53 PM
From what you guys describe you carry on those lanyards, you couldn't be called "minimalist." :p Actually, I use a lanyard for nippers or Micra tool and I place the tool in my pocket. Everything else is in a carry bag/pack/vest (whatever). I try to carry only what I think I might need. 8) Of course, that varies with the level of my enthusiasm.... (the license goes on my hat) :rolleyes:

David Lee
02-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Lanyard+ Mono shooting line+ deep wading = G#$$@%%F*^& S^$% casting .

I wear nippers on a nylon Duck-decoy cord , I tuck it into my shirt . Few problems .

The millstone of wisdom is more than enough to carry around one's neck ........

David

Kurt P
02-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Bonneville,
Let me just say that I lug way too much stuff around when I fish, too. I wish I didn't, but the agonizing I would have to go through to decide what to leave behind just isn't worth it. I've come to a point in my life where I just accept those kind of things about myself.
I do not use a lanyard, prefering the zingers that always retract. To help minimize fouling the fly line most of the zingers are attached inside the pockets that the items I want secured are kept in, that way the zingers and the gear are out of the way. I never tried a lanyard but it seems they'd get in the way. Kurt

Hairstacker
02-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Kurt, I liked your idea of securing the zinger up by the vest fly rod holder loop so that your nippers zing up into that loop, rather than dangling around. 8)

I've never used a lanyard either and have considered them, but between my 3 vests, 2 chestpacks, 3 lumbar packs, and several big-pocketed fishing shirts, I can't convince myself I need one. :lol:

If I were to get one, I would at minimum make sure it has a clip to attach it to your shirt so that it doesn't dangle when you lean over.

bonneville54
02-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks all!

I may give one a try (Bill, do you carry them?)..... at the least to do my part to help the economy, mind you.

Seriously, of those of you guys who use a lanyard sans vest, are you also without a net? I believe I saw one online somewhere with a loop in the back to attach a net....is that possible?

John

Darian
02-07-2009, 11:05 PM
A lanyard with a net loop.... :confused: I guess there's a way to do it but as I see it my mind, a loop for a net would be placed at the rear of the lanyard. When you hook up a net, the weight of the net would seem to pull the lanyard back until the front part would rest on your Adams Apple. :rolleyes: Not very comfortable.... :neutral: You couldn't carry the net in front as it would interfere with casting and/or line management. Maybe you could tie off the lanyard to a button on your waders or trousers or something.... :confused:

caltagm
02-07-2009, 11:09 PM
I've used a lanyard for the last eight years. I also carry a small shoulder bag that I sling across my body. The clip on the lanyard can be used on my shirt, the bag strap or the top of my waders. My shoulder bag converts from a lumbar pack to a shoulder bag and my small net handle slides into the back where the waist band tucks in.

I love my lanyard because I can put the bag on the bank, my fly box in my pocket and I'm good to fish a run without all the stuff that I only use occasionally. The less gear the better for me.