PDA

View Full Version : Hanging out on the Yuba

sierrapac
02-05-2009, 07:24 PM
I tagged along with Charlie Gonzalez (to get some photos for a piece that I'm doing) and his client Mike Leslie on Wednesday and was disappointed at the lack of bugs showing. We saw only a couple of Skwala's and a few BYOs. Generally no surface activity, though Charlie's client Mike caught a beautiful 18-20 inch fish on an X-Caddis late in the day. Though Mike appeared to be very experienced at line handling associated with nymphing, I was amazed to find out that this was the first fish he'd ever caught on a dry. Incidentally, I seined the gravel in a couple of spots and 95% of the bugs were Caddis larva (dark smoky green) with a few Baetis. Didn't see any Skwalas, worms or March Brown nymphs. Of course the type of bug you find depends on the location of the river you are sampling. Anyway, the day was a success as I got the photos I needed, spent the day with some great people and stuffed myself with Charlie's food.

mikel
02-05-2009, 10:27 PM
By the way, Greg...thanks for the great pics! You were super company in the boat...-Mike

Charlie Gonzales
02-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Thank you both for a wonderful day.

Adam Grace
02-06-2009, 02:22 AM
Where's the pictures?

Tracy Chimenti
02-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I hope you guys weren't out there laying into that ol' Yuba Skunk!

mikel
02-06-2009, 01:03 PM
the pics are in an associated post by Charlie Gonzalez..."yuba report" and we evaded the dreaded skunk :D

Charlie Gonzales
02-07-2009, 08:05 PM
No skunk, I just smell that way.