PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone Park questions

Scott V
02-04-2009, 12:05 PM
I will be heading to Yellowstone in August and was hoping to get some infomation. I will be going with my wife and we will be traveling in our RV. What I need is information on a descent RV park that is both close to the park and close to fishing water. I have never been there before so I am starting to gather information now. I hope to get in atleast 3-4 days of good fishing. Along the way we plan on stoping in Utah to fish the Provo also. So any information on the Provo would be great. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

jblack
02-04-2009, 12:28 PM
You can stay in the park itself at Madison Junction and Canyon Campgrounds. Both of those spots put you close to fishing and I think both have hook ups.

Madison Junction puts you close to the Madison in the park, The Firehole and the Gibbon. While Canyon will get you close to the Yellowstone and a short but slow drive to Soda Butte and the Lamar. Also near those areas the main loop road near those campsites are numerous small lakes that are fishable. Pick up a copy of Craig Matthews' book The Yellowstone flyfishing Guide ( I think Bill's shop has it) or call their shop Blue Ribbon flies in West Yellowstone. They are great and will give you reliable info. August can be a great time to be up there.

Skunked again
02-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Hi.

I spent a few days in Wyoming in early September in 2006. I didn't actually fish in the park at all, but I had a spectacular time fishing the North fork of the Shoshone River. It It parallels highway 20 out of the east side of the park as you head towards Cody. Truthfully, it gave me one of the best fishing experiences I've ever had. My wife and I fished one day on the Henery's fork in Idaho with no luck at all, and we backpacked a few days in the Beartooth Mountains and caught all the stunted brook trout you could shake your rod at. We were leaving that night planning on driving from Cody through the Yellowstone towards Jackson hole on our way to Utah. I was really bummed because the trip had been great, but the "true west" trout fishing experience had eluded me. We weren't planning on fishing. However driving past the miles of great looking water had me twitching over in the passenger seat. Finally, I said to my wife, "I've got to give it one more shot, even if it means we won't be able to go through the park tonight" (they close the gates at 9:00). She amiably agreed. We started fishing only about an hour and a half before dark. There was no surface activity when we arrived but I caught a few nice fish on nymphs, and my wife caught a few dinks on an adams. Then the bugs started coming off the river. It wasn't the kind of hatch like in the magazines, but enough to keep fish interested. I probably managed to catch about 8 beautiful fish (about half rainbows, half cuts) from 10-16 inches in that last hour of light. Though it wasn't the best fishing I've ever had number wise or size wise, everything about the evening was perfect. The scenery was gorgeous, the temperature was a little cool to let you know that fall is around the corner, but not so cold to make you chilly. We didn't see another sole on the river, though the recent bear tracks told me otherwise. The fish were more than cooperative and best of all I got to share it with my wife. I was given a gift of a dream that I was sure had escaped me.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm3/nebrauer/WyomingTrip06178.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm3/nebrauer/WyomingTrip06182.jpg

huntindog
02-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi Scott, I lived in Bozeman for awhile and got to know the area pretty well. There are numerous RV parks in the West Yellowstone area. That puts you real close to alot of fishing inside and outside the park. Keep in mind that in August you will not be alone. I would definately try and line up a reservation soon. From West Yellowstone you have access to the Madison and Gallatin River outside the park and all the lakes, in montana and you are close to the henrys fork and henrys lake in Idaho. There are also lots of guides located there and blue ribbon flies which is one of the best flyshops on the planet.

fishinjohnny
02-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Check this place out while your at it. One of our members (Stanislaus Fly Fishers) purchased this place a couple years ago. I haven't been yet but it borders the banks of the Madison.
http://www.campfirelodgewestyellowstone.com/

Kurt P
02-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Scott V,
Our family went to Yellowstone this past summer, taking our 5th wheel (when gas was over $4/gal…yikes!). As of last year, there was only one place to stay in the park that had full hookups and that was Fishing Bridge RV park. Only a few of the other campgrounds will allow (limited) generator use, so if you want to stay in the park itself and don’t want to dry camp, your options will be a little limited--book spots soon.
If I were going in August, I’d focus on the Lamar Valley rivers in the north east part of the park (Lamar River, Slough Creek, Soda Butte Creek) which are supposed to be hot that time of year.
I second the recommendation to get Craig Mathews’ book, The Yellowstone Fly Fishing Guide. It is excellent. I also strongly recommend his DVDs (Flyfishing Yellowstone Hatches, Flyfishing the Madison River). You can order all of these through their website (google Blue Ribbon Flies). I was so impressed with them that I booked a guided trip through Blue Ribbon Flies and my daughter and I had a great day (in spite of snow in mid-June).
No matter what you do or where you go you’ll have a great time. I can’t wait to go back.
Good fishing,
Kurt

Here are shots of my daughter on the Firehole and me on the upper Madison (just about a ¼ mile downstream of our campsite in Madison Junction).

Gregg Machel
02-05-2009, 02:46 AM
I stayed at the "Howlin' Mad Moon Resort", but not in their RV spots. I did notice that they had full hookups, and the staff there was really nice. This was back in 2005, so in a few years things may have changed, they probably have their restaurant and bar working now, it wasn't when I was there.

http://www.madmoonresort.com/index.htm

It is on the Upper Madison river, close to Three Dollar Bridge.

craigfalk
02-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Scott,

My family and I spent a week last summer at the Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone.

www.grizzlyrv.com

This RV park has full hook ups and is the nicest one in the area. I was so impressed I sent a thank you email to the manager after we got home.

Yellowstone is a fantastic place. The scenery and wildlife are amazing. I must say, however, that I've never seen so many fly fisherman anywhere. I agree with the earlier post that the Lamar Valley (at least a two hour drive from West Yellowstone) could provide the best fishing. I'd recommend leaving your RV in West Yellowstone and spending one night at the Roosevelt Lodge. That way you could spend two days of fishing in the Lamar Valley and only make the long drive once.

No matter how the fishing turns out, you should have a wonderful trip.

Craig

Scott V
02-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Thank you everyone for the info. I'll be getting Craig's book this weekend. I will be pulling my street legal buggy so I plan on taking at least 2 days out of the park looking for some less traveled waters. A nice hike into a small creek for cutties would be nice.

mems
02-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Aloha Scott, I hope you have a great time. The Madison campground in the park is great, but the park waters do get hit pretty hard. The Three dollar section of the Madison is like a five mile riffle with BIG fish. If you want some cutts, try Pacific and Flat creeks towards Jackson. Cutts and terrestrials make for a good combo. I like the Hoback and Greys for fine spotted cutts. Good luck and I hope you get a cutt slam, Mems.

sjpike
02-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Me and my two buddies want to do a trip to yellowstone as well. I have a tent trailer with a rack on top. We wanted to take my raft and fishing frame along and float some rivers.. Is this a good idea or just a pipe dream ???

Kurt P
02-09-2009, 06:47 PM
I know plenty of drift boats float the Madison and other rivers outside of Yellowstone park, but I don't know what the regulations are about that inside the park. When I was there last June, I didn't see a single boat on a river within the park for the whole week. Only a few rivers were fishable then (snowing and run off and season not open on the Yellowstone River yet) so maybe it just wasn't up and running yet. If your hoping to float within the park check with the park service or one of the local guide shops, I'm sure they'd all know.
Good luck, it sure would be a blast,
Kurt