PDA

View Full Version : NorCal Report

easymends
02-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Fished the Upper Sac, Lower Sac, and Yuba this past weekend. Hadn't been to the Upper Sac in awhile and wasn't expecting much based on the low water and strange warm temperatures. The fishing was better than expected with most fish eating large rubber legs and small baetis nymphs. No drys coming off but still nice trout to hand. The water looks like New Zealand right now with the clarity and fish are in pretty slow water.

The Lower Sac fished pretty poorly. The weather has the fish hunkered down it seems and they were pickier than over the past couple months. No Salmon on redds in the lower river and the trout were taking very small nymphs, mostly size 18. A few on the rubber legs but nothing of great size. The water is super low as it has been and I would think a bit of rain could help get the fishing going again.

The Yuba was the typical Yuba, a couple fish to hand on nymphs but had to work hard for what she gave us. A few Skwalas and fish eating the big bugs but nothing on top seemed to work. The fish again seemed to be in slower water and taking my tippet to 5X was the key to hooking up. I swung streamers as well for a good part of the day with no grabs.

While the weather sure is nice for January, the fish all seem to be confused on what exactly is going on. I hope for some rain to change things in the coming weeks.

Tight lines.